Out of it

Tanga

I hardly ever seriously read for myself. I'm too invested in the outcome.
(And there are many of us here like this by-the-way. :) )
If I want a serious reading - I'll go to my favourite occult bookstore and book with one of
two readers there whom I think highly of. (Rarely these days - I can usually figure out my stuff in other ways. Sometimes I'll just go as a treat and then have the excuse to have a long chat about 'life-the universe-and everything' with a focus purely on MOI for a change ;) ).
I can do all sorts of other types of readings for myself - like the examples I've given - or
providing I'm in the mindset that it doesn't really matter so much, what the answer is.

Also I find - reading via my spirit guides seems to work better. i.e. rather than read for myself - I ask my spirit guide a question using a deck. It's the same thing really - but it works better for me this way. Lol.

Nemia

I find two things helpful in reading for myself:

1. Mary Greer's classic book Tarot for Yourself. By doing the exercises, I both got to know the cards better and learned to use them for myself. If you're trying to find a way back into a real relationship with the cards, the book might be good way. It's very empowering. And you can take it slowly, one chapter after the other or in wild hops ;-)

2. A tarot journal. It can be unstructured, just a beautiful folder or binder that you like, and you can fill it with ideas, questions, impressions, card interpretations, readings etc. It really helps to see how over time you get more and more self confidence. By writing down readings, you get some distance, and you can check after a time how biased you were. And correct your biases.

Obviously, ymmv and what works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, too....

Ace

There is one more thing. I could never read for myself. I always seemed to transfer the answer I wanted into the cards. Has anyone else had this issue ?

It is more common than you think. The best advice is to get someone else to read for you as Grizabella suggested. The other idea is to ALWAYS use the Little White Book (LWB) that comes with your deck when reading for yourself. That will make it less easy to project the answer you want on the cards.

Finally, when I was still fairly new at this, someone told me SHE was having that problem, she really knew what the cards would say before she would put them down. I suggested the above and also said, maybe you just need to say, OK, head, what are you trying to tell me? Instead of putting cards down, ask the Universe, what is the answer to this question? Sometimes, I do that with my Morning Pages (I journal first thing in the morning--then nothing worse can happen to me all day.) Answers sometimes come.

barb

bonebeach

I think the journal thing definitely helps. I read for myself all the time, and I find it very useful. The only time it's not useful is if I try to read for myself while I'm upset/super emotional.

Have you tried doing readings for yourself about stuff you're NOT emotionally invested in, so that everything feels more casual?

minotaur

Post deleted.

Ansuya

Tarot is very forgiving. You should just pick the cards back up and begin again.

I don't read for myself very often, either. I'm not that great with it for myself.

I'm really sorry your relationship involved making fun of your beliefs. That was definitely not a good match.There's a sub-forum here for reading exchanges. It sounds to me like that would be a real help for you. Here's the link: Reading Exchange

But first you should read the rules here: Rules Reading the rules first is always helpful to me. I've been a member here a long time but I check out the rules sometimes myself. It does make things go more smoothly.
Thank you. I will do so

Ansuya

I hardly ever seriously read for myself. I'm too invested in the outcome.
(And there are many of us here like this by-the-way. :) )
If I want a serious reading - I'll go to my favourite occult bookstore and book with one of
two readers there whom I think highly of. (Rarely these days - I can usually figure out my stuff in other ways. Sometimes I'll just go as a treat and then have the excuse to have a long chat about 'life-the universe-and everything' with a focus purely on MOI for a change ;) ).
I can do all sorts of other types of readings for myself - like the examples I've given - or
providing I'm in the mindset that it doesn't really matter so much, what the answer is.

Also I find - reading via my spirit guides seems to work better. i.e. rather than read for myself - I ask my spirit guide a question using a deck. It's the same thing really - but it works better for me this way. Lol.
This is a great idea as well as psychically I am very well tuned in. Asking my guides is an excellent idea. Thank u

ilweran

I'm also just getting back into tarot after a long break - I stopped using them when I was pregnant and my little boy is approaching 3 now!

I've found it useful to read back over notes I made in the past and and I've been doing a comparison of the court cards from a couple of decks as I've always had a problem with them. My little boy has shown an interest in the colourful boxes on the bookshelves for the first time today and we've looked though a few cat themed decks and I've just made up little stories about the cats without thinking about card meanings and that's been oddly helpful, I might try it on my own and write down my thoughts.

What sort of readings do you try to do for yourself? I tend to do quite general what's going on around me sort of readings for practice on card meanings and to familiarise myself with a deck rather than on any specific question.

PAMUYA

My first thought upon reading your post, where there is calling there is action. When you are ready you will return. You can force yourself by daily draws, journaling, but passion comes from within. Search your heart, are the cards calling to you? I have taken breaks from reading cards many times through out my life. Blaming others for stopping is not an excuse, you were not strong enough to hold your own. Ask yourself why do I read? To help myself, to help others, to belong, spiritual teachings, to whittle away time? Why?

This holds your answer why you are "out of it". Is it important enough for you to keep it up?

Ansuya

My first thought upon reading your post, where there is calling there is action. When you are ready you will return. You can force yourself by daily draws, journaling, but passion comes from within. Search your heart, are the cards calling to you? I have taken breaks from reading cards many times through out my life. Blaming others for stopping is not an excuse, you were not strong enough to hold your own. Ask yourself why do I read? To help myself, to help others, to belong, spiritual teachings, to whittle away time? Why?

This holds your answer why you are "out of it". Is it important enough for you to keep it up?
It's very important to me. For me and as a healer. I'm a Reiki master and i can see up to a year ahead. The cards were my first stepping stone 13 years ago. They are a very important part of me. I'm not blaming him but he tore one of them.and I hid them away. He broke all my phones and tried the TV and my laptop. Hence most things were packed away.

In answer. My cards all link up with me.

Ansuya