Pierre Madenié Tarot Facsimile is launched

Wendywu

Yves - my deck arrived today - thank you so much! It is just beautiful, both to look at and to handle. I couldn't be happier with the card stock - thick and silky, and a joy to shuffle.

I thank you also for La Force from the Chosson. La Force has a very special significance to me; and has always had a deep and personal meaning for me - you couldn't have chosen a better card to send me.

Anyone who hasn't ordered one yet but is thinking about it - do order; you'll be delighted with your deck :)

Laura Borealis

I'm so happy for you :party: I know how long you've wanted it!

Edited to add - Wu's joy is contagious and I have ordered mine :)

Yves Le Marseillais

Post office = Happiness provider

Yves - my deck arrived today - thank you so much! It is just beautiful, both to look at and to handle. I couldn't be happier with the card stock - thick and silky, and a joy to shuffle.

I thank you also for La Force from the Chosson. La Force has a very special significance to me; and has always had a deep and personal meaning for me - you couldn't have chosen a better card to send me.

Anyone who hasn't ordered one yet but is thinking about it - do order; you'll be delighted with your deck :)

Bonjour Wendy,

Merci beaucoup for your kind words and good reception information.
It's my pleasure to add another card for a special dedication to those who help me a lot by purchasing my decks facsimiles.
By direct link with Tarot passionates, I can speed up my forecast for preparing new facsimiles and or restorations (when decks are too used only).
By June this year 2014 another deck will comes up.
Wilfried and I are close to last details.
A surprise.

Salutations from Marseilles City
Old €urope
Yves

Wendywu

I'm so happy for you :party: I know how long you've wanted it!

Edited to add - Wu's joy is contagious and I have ordered mine :)

Just as long as my current filthy cough and cold aren't equally contagious!

You'll be so pleased with your deck :)

rivergum

A wonderful review Sherryl!

I have both the Chosson and the Madenié Tarots and they are so interesting and characterful. I enjoy reading with them. It's hard to resist the Tarot de Marseille variations! :)

Le Fanu

Lovely review!

I prefer the Madenié. I find the faces clearer, the peering sharper, more expressive. When reading TdMs I need expressive, vivid faces to focus in on. The Madenié has this in spades.

I find the Chosson a bit less sharp. Not in the printing, just in the deterioration of the woodblocks. At least I always thought it was this - but I see Sherryl refers to this as the sloppy stencilling, which may well be the case. Overall, it feels less"accomplished".

They're both lovely but the Madenié just feels so much more readable and rich.

Glad to see they're both available

Yves Le Marseillais

Purety of sources

Hello all,

Main difference between Madenié and Chosson comes from purety of original decks.

Chosson deck is a problem because only ONE exemplary exist in world.
One card of Chosson deck is may be also avaluable (9 of Deniers) as per my careful researchs.
All in one this unique Chosson deck is used and we had to do with this reality.

Madenié deck original is in much better condition and this explain main differences.

But I decided to publish this unique Chosson deck regarding his specific place in Tarot history and his iniital quality of engraving and symbols.

This was a risky operation on a financial point of view I admit, but luckily Tarot passionnates, historians and some Museums officials did followed me and now finances are balanced.
Mr Stuart Kaplan and his sales capacity did help too and I can now consider that Tarot of Marseille Heritage is a success story that will last necessary time to provide Tarot passionates all mandatory historical Tarot of Marseille pattern decks as to clearly understand what is this specific Tarot pattern.

Another option was to restore this decks but I worked for historians of Tarot too and so wanted to make facsimiles.

Forecasts are very good re new facsimiles.

A little more patience....

Cordialy,

Yves

Sherryl

In my review, I wasn't trying to denigrate the Chosson deck for poor quality. The Chosson is extremely important historically, but I also wanted to point out aesthetic differences for my readers who are not historians and see decks primarily as a tool for doing readings.

Has anyone else noticed the word "Cates" on the Chosson wrapper? I assume it's a typo for "Cartes". I wonder if Chosson printed the wrapping paper himself and was too cheap or lazy to correct it. If he was strictly a card maker, the wrapper was probably produced in another shop. He should have sent it back to the printer with orders to do it right!

Yves Le Marseillais

Differences and wrappers

In my review, I wasn't trying to denigrate the Chosson deck for poor quality. The Chosson is extremely important historically, but I also wanted to point out aesthetic differences for my readers who are not historians and see decks primarily as a tool for doing readings.

Has anyone else noticed the word "Cates" on the Chosson wrapper? I assume it's a typo for "Cartes". I wonder if Chosson printed the wrapping paper himself and was too cheap or lazy to correct it. If he was strictly a card maker, the wrapper was probably produced in another shop. He should have sent it back to the printer with orders to do it right!

Hello Sherryl,

Your review is perfect because it point out what really are these decks with their differences and defaults. It is important to informs all readers about variety of decks and what they will get.
That's why I always show many cards of decks I publish on my website and his Tarot Gallery.
By experience I know that each deck correctly printed "find his path" and has later his devoted amatores.
Concerning word "Cates" on Chosson wrapper, of course it means Cartes /Cards.
But we have to go back to this period of time and assume that French language was not yet fully normalized.
I don't think it is a typo but rather the "local" language for Cards/Cartes at this period.
Words was changing also regarding French regions.
I.e L'estoile for L'Etoile /The Star XVII.

Who produced wrappers ?: cardmakers or another shop. Nobody knows as per my own researchs.
But I saw woodblocks of wrappers in company of cards woodblocks.
Were they comin from same cardmaker workshop.....

Have a nice day,

Yves