Calling all herb experts!:)

Jude

I wondered if anyone had ideas for an herbal rub for arthritis? My SO's knees have become so painful it's almost debilitating. We do not like to use things that are not natural...and while I know some people protect herbal salves and rub recipes with their very lives...I am begging you! I just can't stand to see him hurt. Any suggestion is welcome!!

Thank you so very much!

Jude

celticnoodle

I also have arthritis and severe osteoporosis as well as two other conditions that affect my joints and give me terrible pains.

I will tell you before I go into natural herbal remedies to help you with the pain, I went to a gluten free diet (I do cheat when we go away on trips sometimes though, as it is not easy to find gluten free foods in restaurants, especially if you aren't familiar with the area) and within a matter of weeks, I was feeling better, walking better, and sleeping better. It was an AMAZING difference!

Now, I also like to take warm (sometimes piping hot) soaking baths with Epsom salt and it also helps me so much too.

I also take a supplement every day--a glucosamine chondroitin tablet, which also helps big time. I also take a probiotic daily too. Both of these will help as well--but you must make sure you talk to your doctor of course before taking any of these, to make sure it won't interfere with any prescribed medication.

Now, I know that ginger (fresh is best of course) is great for inflammatory issues. I did this a few times, but honestly, I don't care much for the taste and I also forget to buy it a lot. I am sure you can probably find ginger tablets that may help/do the same thing as fresh. If you use fresh, just grate it onto foods, or mix in a glass of water/tea, what have you.

I have used chamomile tea to also help relax me before bedtime or anytime I'm in a lot of pain, as it relaxes me. Turmeric is also suppose to help a great deal.

I know there are more herbs that are great for the joints--especially for arthritis, but right now, I cannot think of anymore.

I do also like to have a heating pad available to me to apply to the affected area. I use to have a dual heated mattress pad as well as a dual electric blanket on top that will help too--and if you don't want to have your side heated--you can have your side off.

Also Apple Cider Vinegar will help. I think I use to put 2teaspoons into a glass of water, mix it, and drink it every morning. Its a really nasty taste though, so again, I sort of moved away from this. However, I do like this drizzled over cheddar cheese and eaten with a raw apple. However she can take the apple cider vinegar.

You can also put some apple cider vinegar into a warm bath and soak in it to help. I imagine, you could probably rub it directly into your skin too for help. And, don't worry-the smell does dissipate.

I also use a tens unit (you can find them online rather cheaply) and also a will put some white rice into a sock, tie the end of it in a knot, then warm this in the microwave and wrap it over my knees when they bother me--or have it next to my hips, shoulders/neck, etc.

If I can think of anything else, especially herb related, I will let you know. Some of these ideas are not herbal, obviously--but they work for me.

Padma

There is a natural Asian rub called "Tigerbalm" which can help. I have used it for aches in the past.

I understand also that Solomon's Seal and St. John's Wort work well for arthritic pain.

A quick google search for herbal salves for arthritis brought up hundreds of hits - maybe try perusing some of them...? Good luck!

PS you can buy turmeric tablets at Costco or at health food stores - research has proven it is a great anti-inflammatory :) CN mentioned turmeric, too.

Jude

I appreciate all of your ideas!!!! Celtic Noodle I was amazed that I actually have most of these items in my house:)! I will be getting started right away! And Padma I have searched on the net...pinterest especially...I just so trust in the honesty and creativeness of members here...I had to drop a line out to see what I could catch! I'll update you both soon as I am going to make him my arthritis patient very soon:):) I've gotta do something...he's miserable!:(

celticnoodle

I appreciate all of your ideas!!!! Celtic Noodle I was amazed that I actually have most of these items in my house:)! I will be getting started right away! And Padma I have searched on the net...pinterest especially...I just so trust in the honesty and creativeness of members here...I had to drop a line out to see what I could catch! I'll update you both soon as I am going to make him my arthritis patient very soon:):) I've gotta do something...he's miserable!:(

oh, that's good!

I happened to find online today a recipe with the turmeric in it and I think Orange Juice and other items too, for arthritis pain. I may have to give it a try. I'll look for it later, (going to bed soon) and will post the link to it here, in case you'd like to try it, too. I do hope it will help your partner. I know personally just how painful this can be and many others here do too. Do keep us posted.

I can't believe I forgot to post it here. sorry for the long delay!

here is one from Dr. Oz' site-http://www.wellbuzz.com/dr-oz-recipes/dr-oz-turmeric-mocktail-recipe-andy-weil-cortes-island-home/

here are a few more-
http://soletshangout.com/pain-relieving-turmeric-juice-juicing-for-pain-relief/

http://everydayroots.com/arthritis-remedies
the one above is a tea recipe with turmeric and ginger. It sounds really tasty to me. And, if you read more on this site, it also gives other ideas, such as rubbing olive oil on the sore joints. I sometimes use olive oil on my skin just as a moisturizer, and love it.

and one more idea that has proven to be very beneficial for me, is to do tai chi! You can find some great tai chi moves for arthritis on youtube before you invest in a dvd on it. I am taking a class (2nd time in this class) "Tai Chi for Arthritis" with Dr. Paul Lam. I could tell a huge difference in my pain levels and got to the point that I could actually bend down onto the floor and stand back up again without the aid of a table or chair to get me up! My knees never felt or acted so well! Dr. Paul Lam sells his tai chi for arthritis dvd too--and it is well worth the price. You can also do it from a chair-if you find standing too difficult and painful.

ladybird

I would highly recommend homeopathy. There are several remedies that could help. Arnica Montana would be the first I would say to try. You can get the pellets or the gel in a health store. Arnica Montana is great for any swelling, bruising, pains or aches, including arthritis. I've a client that I use the gel on (I've been a bodyworker for 12 years.) and that seems to really work for him. Obviously, homeopathy isn't a cure all, you take it when you are showing symptoms.

Here are a few other homeopathic remedies that one would take for various arthritic pain. I cut and paste the list below from a Vitality Magazine Article about Arthritis (see link below for full article).

Rhus Tox (rhus toxicodendron) was going to be the other remedy I suggested as I use it on my cat with great success. I live in the PacNW so the damp weather relates.

• Bryonia Alba – Excellent arthritis remedy for pain with inflammation that is aggravated by movement and relieved by moderate pressure and rest.
• Ledum pal – Remarkable arthritis remedy for gout and ascending rheumatism. Works best by cold application.
• Rhus Tox – For pain aggravated by first movement and damp weather and made better by continuous motion.
• Colchicum – For pain made worse by motion, touch or mental effort, better by warmth and rest. Mostly for gouty pain.
• Kalmia lot – Well known arthritis remedy for descending pain, or pain with heart palpitation and slow pulse.
• Guaiacum – For gouty abscesses of joints, and pain relieved by cold bath and cold application.
• Calcaria Carb – For arthritic swelling and knee pain made worse by cold, especially in fleshy people.
• Benzoic acid – For gouty concretions of joints, and knee pain caused by abnormal deposition of uric acid.
• Hypericum – Remarkable arthritis remedy for rheumatoid arthritis; has outstanding action over nerve pain.

- See more at: http://vitalitymagazine.com/article...rthritis-and-joint-pain/#sthash.0lGXnNFD.dpuf

Jude

I would highly recommend homeopathy. There are several remedies that could help. Arnica Montana would be the first I would say to try. You can get the pellets or the gel in a health store. Arnica Montana is great for any swelling, bruising, pains or aches, including arthritis. I've a client that I use the gel on (I've been a bodyworker for 12 years.) and that seems to really work for him. Obviously, homeopathy isn't a cure all, you take it when you are showing symptoms.

Here are a few other homeopathic remedies that one would take for various arthritic pain. I cut and paste the list below from a Vitality Magazine Article about Arthritis (see link below for full article).

Rhus Tox (rhus toxicodendron) was going to be the other remedy I suggested as I use it on my cat with great success. I live in the PacNW so the damp weather relates.

• Bryonia Alba – Excellent arthritis remedy for pain with inflammation that is aggravated by movement and relieved by moderate pressure and rest.
• Ledum pal – Remarkable arthritis remedy for gout and ascending rheumatism. Works best by cold application.
• Rhus Tox – For pain aggravated by first movement and damp weather and made better by continuous motion.
• Colchicum – For pain made worse by motion, touch or mental effort, better by warmth and rest. Mostly for gouty pain.
• Kalmia lot – Well known arthritis remedy for descending pain, or pain with heart palpitation and slow pulse.
• Guaiacum – For gouty abscesses of joints, and pain relieved by cold bath and cold application.
• Calcaria Carb – For arthritic swelling and knee pain made worse by cold, especially in fleshy people.
• Benzoic acid – For gouty concretions of joints, and knee pain caused by abnormal deposition of uric acid.
• Hypericum – Remarkable arthritis remedy for rheumatoid arthritis; has outstanding action over nerve pain.

- See more at: http://vitalitymagazine.com/article...rthritis-and-joint-pain/#sthash.0lGXnNFD.dpuf

Thank you so much!! This is very very helpful!!! I will keep everyone posted:) Celtic Noodle I start my onslaught Monday!!! Orange...who knew?:)

InkyAlchemy

Try making a salve with Cheyenne and St.John's Wort.

Catmoon

I have an arthritic disease, genetically transmitted. When the inflammatory process is active I used to use macerated garlic in alcohol. But to be more concentrated bust a capsule of garlic oil and rub on site, you can find in stores deodorized garlic capsules.
Garlic is a powerful anti-inflammatory, which locks the inflammation thereby reducing pain within 24 hours and inhibits the formation of arthrosis.
Hope it helps, it's a real miracle worker for me.