Card 46- the Friends

greenbeans

I remember when I first got this deck there were many cards that seemed strange, offputting and downright odd - at first. This card however, drew me in immediately. With its bright, childlike colours- blue, yellow, purple- and 2 cute faeries, this card had a cheerful personality which seemed to reassure and welcome me in.

There is a definite 'cartoon' feel to the two fae depicted, bringing back memories of innocent sunday mornings watching cartoons before my parents got up. One of the amazing things about this deck is the way it can bring back that youthful happiness and energy. The time when I used to make up my own fairy-stories and hunt for fairies at the bottom of the garden suddenly doesn't seem so far away. As Jessica writes, our old imaginary friends and guardians suddenly don't seem so foolish, and this card allows us to welcome them back as adults.

The two fae depicted seem to be in complete harmony. Faery Nuff provides light from his tail and keeps a beady eye on what is in the distance. Meanwhile, Laochan provides a 'helping hand' to Nuff and lifts him up, propelling him onwards and upwards. Nuff has his own wings of course, but he's not too proud to ask for help if he's tired. And this is the kind of friendship we would all love, one of total trust and co-operation, without petty squabbles or misplaced pride.

Laochan balances an orb on his foot playfully, as if playing a game of Fae-football, and laughs. Reminding us that the best friends are often those we can laugh, play, and be silly with!

When I draw this card I feel the Fae are offering their friendship and support, and inviting me to pass these gifts on to the wider world.

Jewel

greenbeans said:
The two fae depicted seem to be in complete harmony. Faery Nuff provides light from his tail and keeps a beady eye on what is in the distance. Meanwhile, Laochan provides a 'helping hand' to Nuff and lifts him up, propelling him onwards and upwards. Nuff has his own wings of course, but he's not too proud to ask for help if he's tired. And this is the kind of friendship we would all love, one of total trust and co-operation, without petty squabbles or misplaced pride.

When I draw this card I feel the Fae are offering their friendship and support, and inviting me to pass these gifts on to the wider world.
Greenbeans, I love how you describe the friends, and could not agree more. True friends are there to give a helping hand and provide support to each other. Support is something that can be freely given in good times as well as troubled times, that is what friendship is all about. I think the fact that Nuff also knows how to put his pride aside where friends are concerned, and accept help when it is offered, is also a good lesson for us all. Our egos many time interfere with us asking for help when we could use some.

I think this Study Group is a reflection of this card in many ways. Although we do not know each other in person, you find many qualities of this card in the relationships we have forged here. I think it should be our "mascot" card! :D

greenbeans

Jewel said:
I think this Study Group is a reflection of this card in many ways. Although we do not know each other in person, you find many qualities of this card in the relationships we have forged here. I think it should be our "mascot" card! :D

That is so true! I feel like I really 'know' people from the other side of the world...even people from the past, when I take it on myself to read the old-old-old posts....all brought together by the Fae.

Jewel

What is even cooler, is that many of the members of the past end up coming back again and again. This forum has a spirit all of its own. I am very grateful for it, and all of the study group members.

DragonFae

This is one of my FAVORITE CARDS....and as of late it has been in many of my readings...tonight I had a hard situation to deal with....its a long story but it did involve a young friend......last night I used a spread I found in another thread here...I'm sure the faeries pointed me to it...it's called Stregaverdes Pesky Problem Person Spread...and it was 100% accurate in describing the situation...and it helped me approach this difficult discussion with just the right amount of bluntness, caring, and love.

Friends was right there (reversed) in answer to the question "what is the situation between us?" ...with the "It is time to sort things out...reopen your heart to them and give them reason to reopen their hearts to you."

All of the other cards in the thread made perfect sense also....it was like a lovely path painted by the faeries....and although I am very tired from the emotional situation....it is resolved and we are back on the right path!!!

qwaychou

I see almost a whole story in this card.
Hedgie is whisked off by his faerie friend. to show him something really cool, like an ant hill or a spiders web.
Hedgie is serious, studious, lights on tips and tail, he's a thinker, stable "smart one".
The Fae friend i wild, enthusiastic, action driven, fire child, fun loving and occasionally flippant.

I know they have names in the book, but I'm doing all these impressions without the book as an excersise

Absynthe

This card used to be a frustration card for me when I first started with this deck 10yrs ago. I just couldn't understand the relevance of it being as I was a staunch self-sufficient individual with no close acquaintances since leaving high school. I had gone off into the wider world armed with bags of ambition and arrogance about how quickly I was going to make my mark in the world and other child-like dreams that young adults are often afflicted with.

It is once again stalking me after spending a very long time hidden somewhere within the deck. Now it takes on a new meaning for me. Now that I am world weary and jaded somewhat this cheerful little card reminds me of what I left behind when I also left my adolescence behind. I'm reminded of the pure and simple joy that sharing space with a like mind can bring. It tells me how lonely I actually feel when I try and do it all on my own and I am reminded of the Hobbit hole known as Bag End and how such a place is warm and inviting when filled with visitors and haunting when it's home to just one.

Friend's isn't just about what you can get out of companionship, things like support and comfort are lovely things but shouldn't be the reason for companionship. Pure appreciation for the other people around you is what is beneath friendships. Just having a person you appreciate in your sphere, not even doing anything except being there, is an enormous comfort and joy all on it's own. In this age of digital connections we are losing the ephemeral quality that someone's physical presence brings to our lives. Friendships are being replaced by networks which aren't at all the same thing. A network is a transactional arrangement, a series of contacts that might prove useful one day. The more digitally connected we become ironically the more separated we are from the basic nature of company. We're replacing presence with #tags and likes, neither of which bring any delight, joy or comfort at all.

This card speaks of true companionship, maintaining connections based on presence and authenticity. Truly knowing what is in the other person's heart and caring for their wellbeing. Digital connections are fake friendships, they require nothing and are used like currency. Digital friendships are made up between people who hardly know each other with no intention to ever get to know them. This card is a call to move back into authentic companionship with others which requires that we open our hearts and get to know more than their online status. We must learn to listen and also to appreciate the qualities that others embodies. This is a lifetime endeavour requiring attention and intention.