The Churchyard Spread

destinyawaitsme

I got this from "Complete Book of Tarot Spreads" by Evelin Burger & Johannes Fiebig. It first caught my interest because of it's unusual name. I gave it a whirl today and it totally change my outlook on a problem I had. If you have the time and curiousity, I recommend that you folks try it too.

Have a question or problem in mind. First take The Fool card out of the deck. Shuffle the remaining 77 cards thoroughly then place the deck face down. Pick out twelve cards from the deck (Don't peek yet.). Place the Fool in with the 12 cards you just picked. Now shuffle those 13 cards until you feel the time is right to stop. Now turn over all thirteen cards so that they are in a row like this:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

The Fool represents the present. It points to the direction of development. If the Fool is located at the beginning of the row, most of what you have to do is in front of you. If the Fool is located at the end, most of what is developing is already behind you.

Also the position of the Fool within the row indicates the range of the question. The cards before the Fool indicate what you are consiously aware of. All the cards following describe the unconcious or unknown.

I know it sounds really complicated, but after I did this it helps. It calls for a more intuitive reading. But I felt it kind of read like a timeline. I could look at the cards and see the chain of events that led me to where I am today in my certain situation. Let me know what you think if you try this. I was wondering what you might think of this.

Alissa

Cool!!! Went running for my journal for this one... yippee~!

Have i mentioned lately how much I love this site???

Namaste and thank you destiny!

Diana

destiny: This is one of the most interesting spreads I've seen for a long time. I find this kind of spread fascinating. It can be read as a kind of a saga, or a tale told around a fireplace in the cold winter nights. It's the kind of spread one wants to leave on one's table for a few days and come back to it. And take out other decks, and do comparative readings with them.

Thank you.

Faerie Lin

This is a very intriguing spread! I most definately have to try this out! Thankyou for posting this for all of us to see, destinyawaitsme!

lin

Teranar

I created a spread somewhat like that. I took the Tower (Becuase it always unsettles me when it comes up) and the suit card that relates most to my question out, and took 7 cards out. Then I'd lay them like this:

3 5
2 6
1 7
8/9 (laid in a cross, one on top of eachother)

The 8 and 9 represent you now, and the seven in a semi circle around it represents how things will progress. If either of the suit cards you choose are on you, then you are either already there or far off. If both are present, then you are a mix. The semi circle are how things will pass with the rising and falling of the moon.

Edit: The numbers aren't showing up right, but the first 7 are supposed to be in a semi circle.

Strega

I love learning about new spreads! :D

Thank you for sharing, destinyawaitsme! :)

Ivy Rhiannon

this is interesting! ty for sharing!

Imagemaker

As I've been getting readings that it's time to get off my plateau and move, I did the churchyard spread with great anticipation.

Wow! The fool came up as card 1, so I have a grand new journey ahead of me!! Feeling somewhat amazed and excited--many majors and courts ahead.

Have recorded my reading and will start looking for the first signs of the new adventure.

(Kind of glad the Fool wasn't the last card! Would hate to think it's all behind me.)

Alissa

Imagemaker said:
(Kind of glad the Fool wasn't the last card! Would hate to think it's all behind me.)
:D I think I'd feel the same if that happened to me....

This is a great thread to revive! I did record this spread in my journal, but have rarely used it as I usually gravitate to about 5 typical spreads most often (if I even use a spread).

I'm so glad it was bumped~! I'm going to give it a try sometime soon, I promise myself!!