So what are your particular methods for using the cards? - what rituals?

Majecot

Most of the time I use a white candle ( probably started that because someone told me it was ritual) but really it is more aroma therapy than ritual. My candles are sented, my white ones are my favorite (vanilla). and that relaxes me. I burn vanilla at the computer too :)

But I will read on the floor of my bedroom or at the kitchen table or dining room, where ever I have quiet space, that is comfortable. I do prefer a coffee table, just because it is comfortable for me.
I am very concious of having a clean, dry surface, so that my cards do not become damaged.
I shuffle the cards til they feel right and then I deal.

Most important tho is quiet, I don't think you get a good reading if you have constant interuptions.

DeLani

As for rituals surrounding readings, I have the querent shuffle the cards then cut into 3 piles with the left hand. If I'm the querent, I mentally say "Maiden, Mother, Crone" when I cut them. I then pick them up, and while holding them, mentally pray: "O Great Goddess, let Your wisdom flow through me, directing me (or the querent) towards my (or their) highest good. Blessed Be."
I always lay my cards out on a special golden cloth, like a portable altar. Each deck has a special crystal, and I have a special double-terminated clear crystal I hold and a regal amethyst cluster upon the cloth.
As for non-divinatory rituals, I do use them as a focus for spell work or meditation, and do some spells (a la Janine Renee) with them. I sometimes scan in a certain card and print it out really really tiny to put into a mojo for that energy.
They are amazing tools for insight and magick.

tigerlily 6563

I usually shuffle the cards whilst thinking of the question, then I fan the cards out. Before I pick the cards I clear myself of thoughts. This seems to give me the clearest meaning from the cards. I always pick with my left hand ??? ( I am right handed )

inarnah

Hi,

I recite a nursery rhyme in my head whilst shuffling the deck. The rainbow one.. I think of it as clearing the last question answered.. It definately works for me

baba-prague

I always wipe the surface I'm going to be using. I think it's partly practical (as Hudson says, making sure there is no grease) and partly symbolic - just the idea of having everything clean and cleared. I very often light a candle too. Not because I think it has any special significance, but just because I find it helps calm me and keep me focused. When I practised yoga seriously as a young teenager (I studied under an Indian ashram for several years - quite an important part of my life) I used to sometimes meditate with a candle, and I think that that's stayed with me and is probably the reason for liking to have a candle burning while I'm reading.

In the end, for me, any rituals I do are about putting myself in the right frame of mind rather than anything more mysterious!

tarobones

no rituals

No rituals for me. I focus for a moment, ask the Spirit's guidance. I turn on Mozart, Classical Guitar, Japanese or Native American flute music, or perhaps Celtic instrumental music, shuffle and spread the cards. The music really mellows me out and helps me focus. BB, Michael

bleu_bell

If I have the time and really want to go all out I'll light a candle and burn incense and lay out my dark red "reading blanket" and lay my cards out there. But usually I just burn a candle and wipe the kitchen table off first (usually after my daughter is in bed) It's hard to get time or peace and quiet to go all out with her running around, last time I tried I suddenly had a very rapt little audience sitting next to me asking lots of questions. There was no concentrating then.

Abrac

Good question.

My experiences reflect those of a lot of you. At first I made it more complicated than it had to be. Now I don't go overboard with the ritual bit, but I don't go out of my in the opposite direction either. I just get alone and get in touch with the "guides."

It's more important for me to concentrate and focus AFTER the spread than before it. Before the spread and during it I try to relax and let the guides handle it. After that's done is when I get down to the business of solving the riddle, which may take a period of days or sometimes weeks.

I do have one ritual though I've been using awhile now I can recommend, throwing dice to determine which cards to pull.

fools_fool :)

Actually there is another thing I've found of great import. It's simple really but often overlooked. Before I even start, I put down in writing my question, or specify clearly what I'm seeking advice about. I find this eliminates a lot of confusion later on if the cards start trying to play head games with me. ;)

Genna

I like a white candle burning on my altar on the mantelpiece,with helpful spiritual guides,like The Virgin with child,St´Térèse,angels,Kuan Yin,faeries.
If I don´t,I feel I didn´t read "properly",but I don´t always do it.

arachnophobia

Special Tarot ritual for new moon

genna said:
I like a white candle burning on my altar on the mantelpiece,with helpful spiritual guides,like The Virgin with child,St´Térèse,angels,Kuan Yin,faeries.

And this new moon also happens to coincide with the feast of St Therese! ;-))

In honour of the goddess Cybele, perform this ritual on the Dark Moon night.

Take a ritual cleansing bath and dress in a dark robe or go naked. Cast your circle as usual, or at least bless salt and sprinkle it around your working area. Light a black (or dark red) on the altar. Have incense ready. Place Tarot in the centre of the altar. Lay your wand beside the cards.

Stretch out your arms and say:
"The cycle of the moon has turned once more.
The Moon hides her light from the uninitiated.
Those who follow the ancient paths know her power is not gone, not diminished.
The wisdom of the Dark Mother is there for all who truly seek her."

Tap altar three times with wand:
"Hear me, O Carrier of Wisdom.
My voice flies through the night to you.
Show me new pathways I must tread
To change my life and make it new."

Light the incense and lift it high over the altar:
"I bring an offering fine and fair.
The scent will rise upon the air
To reach your realms. Bless me soon,
O Lady of the Darkened Moon."

Tap the cards 3 times with wand, then circle them 3 times with wand. Tap them again 3 times. Lay wand aside and shuffle the cards.

Divide into 3 piles, for past, present and future, starting with the past on the left. Turn up the top card and contemplate what you see. Do this with all 3 piles.

You can also use more than one deck, for the three piles, if you like.

Write down what happened to you, for future reference.

I did this with the Mayan Oracle this morning, so it will not seem useful to most people here if I write down what I got! Will do it again with regular Tarot later tonight ;-))

- adapted from Moon Magick, D.J.Conway