How Does Strength "Work Against" One?

GoddessArtemis

Thirteen said:
Yes, that's it. But I like what Vee is saying, too. That sounds right also.

GA: yes, showing your weakness would be Strength reversed, but you didn't get Strength reversed as "advice" right? That is, advice to be weak. You got Strength upright as "working against you." In what way it's working against you I don't know. But this would imply to me that you need to be less strong, or less in control, as being strong and in control of yourself is working against you.

Oh, and while I understand why some folks would see "too much strength" as the chariot, I would say that the chariot would imply that you were trying to achieve a goal, and that being too focused on that goal, too controlling of things (in general, not necessarily yourself) you were working against achieving that goal. This simply says that you aren't showing any weaknesses or vulnerabilities--not asking for help (?) and this is working against you.
Okay, this really helps me to understand it better. Thank you. But the truth is, when I've shown vulnerabilities, it seems to make me people look at me funny...they're not used to that side of me existing. But I see your point...maybe the next step is to find out how to go about doing this by doing a reading. :)

GA

vee

GoddessArtemis said:
How do you do that....just fall apart? :)

GA

It's not easy, but basically, yeah! For me, I have someone that I trust enough to be really vulnerable around and when things get bad enough, I know I can go to him and cry and be whiny and just...fall apart! It's okay to be struggling, and it's okay to recognize that every once in awhile. :)

Inana

Strenght also can work against you in another way: useless dedication. I mean maybe it's showing that is of not use to be dedicated to a particular task. Now is not the time to be patient and persevering, but time of open your mouth and tell what you really feel. Just another thought.

Grizabella

GoddessArtemis said:
But the truth is, when I've shown vulnerabilities, it seems to make me people look at me funny...they're not used to that side of me existing.
GA

First of all, maybe they're not looking at you funny. You may just think they are.

And secondly, I'm sure you're right that they're not used to seeing that side of you but maybe they're thinking, "Well, glory be, it appears this one is human after all. I think I like her better this way."

balenciaga

Strength as a negative: holding yourself back; someone wants you to unlease your passionate side ( might appear too reserved, laced-up).

le fey

One way I can think of that the positive qualities of Strength can work against someone has to do with pride ('a pride of lions..hah. ok back on subject).

Ever know someone who has been through hell and people admiringly comment on how strong they are to be able to take it?

Well..sometimes 'being strong enough to take it' can become a trap - a person starts believing they should be strong enough to TAKE situations instead of getting out of them... not taking it starts to feel like weakness instead of common sense.

It's not that their ability to remain graceful under pressure is a bad thing at all... it's that seeing any other response other than endurance as a sign of failure can work against them. Just because we can tough things out doesn't always mean we should.

Tansey Ella

I can think of an easy example. I had to bury both my mother and father-no help from sibling. I had to be strong and look like that woman on the strength card. I was however hurting very badly and if I had let it be known I needed help I might have gotten some help. But No- true to my " belly up to the bar" "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" etc ideas, I had to be a strong . It looked good, but It hurt me in the long run. I really did need help and should have not been so strong, I should have let someone assist me.

Also sometimes people who appear strong really are just people who do not think anyone but themselves can handle a situation.

GoddessArtemis

Tansey said:
Also sometimes people who appear strong really are just people who do not think anyone but themselves can handle a situation.
Well, truth be told, this is definitely me. I have a hard time delegating tasks (so I often feel like the 10 of Wands!)...but history has shown me that certain people can't be relied upon, no matter how much faith you have in them; they let you down, so you learn to just do everything yourself.

However, I don't feel that's the aspect of Strength that was coming up this time.

I like what Inana said: "useless dedication". Oh, I'm guilty of this x 100. I can see this being the case for sure; however, I'm not sure how Strength is the equivalent for dedication, unless you're going for the Leo/loyalty bit?

GA

lilangel09

Can Strength, in this case, be as simple as your temper? (Short-tempered?) I've found that this particular "meaning" can ring true for this card just as much as all the other meanings.

GoddessArtemis

lilangel09 said:
Can Strength, in this case, be as simple as your temper? (Short-tempered?) I've found that this particular "meaning" can ring true for this card just as much as all the other meanings.
That's a really good point, but I actually don't have a bad temper or anything. I tend to get very quiet when I'm angry...silent but deadly. ;)

GA