positive sword meanings

Nevada

All day today I've been pondering the demands people make on each other. How nothing we do seems to be enough. We always want more out of each other, no matter how much we're given. We seldom simply let go and let each other be. Human beings can be the worst control freaks, without even realizing we're attempting to control the other. Not to mention greedy, self-serving, power-hungry, and judgmental. Even the humblest or best-intentioned of us slips into these patterns at times. We definitely have our negative side at times, when interacting. Some of it runs deep in our subconscious.

My spouse mentioned to me a few minutes ago how mental our world is--sometimes in ways that aren't at all helpful or balanced. I have to agree with him. Look at how we examine and dissect art and literature rather than simply experiencing it, or we intellectualize how and why a rose blooms, or we insist on having discussions in which we know the parties will never agree--we try to change each other's minds about things, try to force that old horse to drink the water we've led it to.

Perhaps this is where a lot of the supposed negativity in Swords comes from. Communication is too often made not fun--because of the demands, restrictions, twists and emotional tugs of war we impose on each other.

It may be that when we see the Sword cards as negative, we're sensing or remembering the unconscious ripples from our past unpleasant experiences thinking and communicating with ourselves or others.

I'd like to suggest that some questions a predominance of Swords that feel negative may prompt in a reading are:

Am I communicating (with myself or others) to make unjustified demands or judgements? Am I even aware of the demands I make on others and on myself? Are they really necessary? Or is my communication of a more pure quality? Do I offer something? Do I communicate with unconditional love? Am I forgiving and nonjudgmental? Do I speak the truth and openly provide the information needed or requested? Do I at least try to make my communication a fair exchange?

In this way the Sword cards become a kind of mirror. All that shiny metal can have a use besides cutting. :)

I'm reminded of a teaching, though I don't recall where it comes from (Sufism? Buddhism?), to "Speak only after your words have issued through three gates: truth, necessity (purpose), and kindness."

Nevada

tmgrl2

Beautifully said, Nevada!!

We are our own worst enemy!

I love ..."truth, necessity and kindness"..going to print this on a card and put on my frig to read with my morning prayer....

sharpchick

Swords can be tools. . . or weapons.

The position in the spread and the relationship to the question is what settles it for me. . . even the "martyr" card of the tarot deck, the 10 of swords, has a positive spin if the Seeker is beiing told s/he is being a martyr. After all, things are not as bad as the Seeker thinks, and there's really no need to throw him/herself on his/her. . . sword.

Nevada

tmgrl2 said:
I love ..."truth, necessity and kindness"..going to print this on a card and put on my frig to read with my morning prayer....
That's where I have it, on a 3x5 card. Mine is on the bulletin board by my desk. I just wish I'd written on the card where it came from. :rolleyes: I think it's a Sufi teaching, but often quoted in books on Buddhism.
sharpchick said:
Swords can be tools. . . or weapons.

The position in the spread and the relationship to the question is what settles it for me. . . even the "martyr" card of the tarot deck, the 10 of swords, has a positive spin if the Seeker is beiing told s/he is being a martyr. After all, things are not as bad as the Seeker thinks, and there's really no need to throw him/herself on his/her. . . sword.
Yes! How many times has each of us been through the "dark night of the soul" we so often associate with the 9 of Swords, only to have whatever the next day brings turn out just fine. We sometimes create conflict for ourselves where there is none. Sometimes Swords are the Drama Queen cards.

Nevada

Azarial

Most of the time when I get swords in my readings, I get kind of an ache in my stomach. I don't know why I have it in my head that they are always going to mean something bad. I think thats a little stereotype I need to learn to let go of. There are many positives to the swords suit when you really think about it. Take for instance the Nine of Swords. Most of the time in my interpretations is it's symbolizing something not real, it's all in your head. Things really aren't as bad as you are making them out to be. Or, the Ten of Swords. Thing's are painful now, and you've been knocked down as far as you can go, but things can't go anywhere but up from here. There is a rainbow at the end of every dark cloud.

~Azarial~

Crystelle

I am completely in agreement. My friend April always reads the swords as such horribly negative cards but I don't always get that "pit of the stomach" reaction described above. Sometimes I get a horrible feeling when I pull the 10 of swords and feel that the person is headed for dark times or may lose someone (physically or spiritually) that is close to him/her. Other times it feels like a card of finality. The ending of a situation, be it viewed by the person as good or bad -- to me it is just the card that says "It's over!" Sometimes it's actually a relief when I tell the person that - of course depending on the situation! :O)

Ambrosia

I agree that it was the card images, those doom and gloom pictures, (for the most part) that had clouded my vision of the swords suit. Thankyou to all those who suggested alternative decks with "more enlightening" pictures. Over the years since I started this thread I have come to be much more comfortable with the sword images. I Still like some of the decks which promote swords in a more uplifting way though, but I mainly still read with RWS type decks and have learned to work with, and enjoy the sword images.