Justice is always a woman?

Gyda

In the Norse deck I won Justice has Forseti on it, a male God.

Gyda

Astraea Aurora

OK, I have another go than Maat (although Maat has equal meaning here).

The young woman holding scales may have been Astraea, a daughter of Zeus and Themis, who once lived on earth and had a good and balancing influence on humans. When they began to have great argues and didn't believe in God any more Astraea rose to heaven because disbalance was against her nature. She then became the sign of Virgo (which was later parted into the astrological sign of Virgo and Libra). Therefore she is depicted with the scales and ... she's a woman.

Justice has nothing to do with being mathematically correct but with balance. I think, balance is more often embodied by women than by men (although I may be wrong with that but thats MY opinion).

Blessings, Astraea Aurora

Horace

in your opinion..

and that's what I wanted to know..
What are the qualities or traits more common in women that make for Justice? I have read that mercy and severity are the different sides of the scales. A man would have to develop mercy to rule with heart. and a woman would have to be severe and not rule with so much heart... is there that much of a difference between men and women? hmmm...Hh

and Caridwen...thank you for explaining better the feather on my DruidCraft! I'll be researching Ma'at now!

Sophie

Oh, it's very simple...

...women are ruled by reason, natural law and fairness. Men are ruled by idealism, dogmatic law and the rule of the mightiest....

(dodges rotten tomatoes ;))

thinbuddha

It is all based on the stereotype.....

Justice is reactive. Justice doesn't prevent injustice from being done- justice reacts to (balances) the actions of others. This reactive (rather than proactive) attitude of justice is more traditionally seen as a female quality.

sacredashes

If you're looking for a deck with a man portraying Justice, try the Trinity Blood tarot. It's based on a Japanese anime story though so don't expect the traditional tarot imagery.

It does have a gun blazing Justice with a glowing red eye. The artwork is fantastic if you'e open to deviation away from the usual decks.

Ash

Master_Margarita

There are no women on the Karma (Justice) card in the Buddha Tarot.

cherryberry

Abrac said:
In neo-Platonic literature and medieval art, the soul is represented as female. This is probably why the cardinal virtues are women - virtue being an aspect of the soul.

oh, thats totally new to me! The soul being female? If we are seeing the seven-fold constitution of man, as in egyption or eastern philosophy or even the western one, isnt the thought that the personality is the 'changing' part, body, energy, emotions and mind of desires. So the personality 'seperates', male -female, tall-short, (as far as body is concerned- as an example)

Whereby the individual - will, intuition/soul and mind/higher intelligence are gender-free? And unifying all beings?

Anyway - Justice is a interesting topic, I say most definetly it is NOT always a woman, as Justice is an ideal and therefore free from restictions. What we experience is an expression of Justice, but nothing is 'Justice' as in itself, because we then would limit it to that situation/person....Like in Beauty, being an ideal, so a Rose might be beautiful, but it is not 'Beauty' because that means beauty=Rose ;)

So - as I read it, if Justice comes up, it means that one needs to listen inside to find out whats the REALLY right thing to do - as it most likely means that 'Justice' isnt at all in the mind of the person. Looking back at my readings, thats what it usually meant ;) - now thats for my experience!

willowfox

Maat the Egyptian godess of truth, justice, law and order.

Shamash the Babylonian god of truth and justice.