Unorthodox Intuitive Flash - 9 of Pents as a "Kept Woman"

canid

lucky star said:
I don't think she is "kept" either. Secure, yes, but I wouldn't say kept. I feel great happiness with this card but also just a hint of sadness, and I feel this hint of sadness is represented by the bird.

MY EXAMPLE OF BEING "HOODED"/THE BIRD: When I split with my partner, at night-time, I was jumping at every single noise. I thought every shadow was a ghost. Terrified wasn't the word for it. I remember one night, I was even going to call the police - it was only the thought of explaining to the police that I was actually afraid of my own shadow, was what stopped me. Anyway, do you know what I started to do? Wait until daylight broke and then sleep. Can you imagine it? Awake all night with the lights on until, say 5 or 6 a.m. and then sleeping. Well, you can't live like that, you'll either go mad or get very ill or both. So, I went to my doctor, who prescribed sleeping pills "just for a short period of time until you are used to being on your own". Well, now at night-times, I'm so knocked out with the sleeping pills that I sleep like a baby. I also re-organised my room, had a clear out etc. so my bedroom is again, a pleasurable place to be rather than something to be feared at night. But am I hooded/propped up by pills? But what's the alternative? Terrifying myself and ending up ill?

Don't feel guilty because you need a medication to function. I sometimes feel guilty because I take a pain killer; I have lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia & Hughes syndrome. I'm constantly telling myself, remembering what it was like before the pain meds, that I can & do function so much better. I live my life.

Edited to add: 9 of Pentacles is one of my favorites, a 'make or break' card in a deck. She's experienced, self-sufficient & confident, not necessarily alone, not necessarily kept either. But within herself, she's got it goin' on.

Grizabella

My favorite 9 of Pentacles card is the Morgan Greer. It's so beautiful! The branch behind the woman's head seems to have ginko leaves on it. Ginko leaves represent a long life, so it gives me an even greater reason to like the card. I identify with this woman, secure within herself, looking forward to a long life without any fear. I wasn't sure whether I might live much longer or not when I first got this illness. There weren't any guarantees.

When I first got so sick with my illness, as I came out of the crisis point, I couldn't lift my head up to eat anything so I had to eat lying down flat and using only my hands. When asked what I wanted to eat, the only things that appealed to me were canteloupe and grapes, which I later learned are good for healing the eyes and my eyes were horribly inflamed as one of the effects of my illness. I see that this woman has her hand plunged into a big bowl of grapes and I'm reminded of myself, eating melon and grapes with my hands when I was so sick.

Also, I love birds and she's got her bird on her hand. I had my maroon-bellied conure in those days and she was nice company for me.

She's got on a big ring and I love big rings.

In short, the whole card is very beautiful and meaningful to me.

As mary ventura said, when my husband died, I just never have felt like I wanted to "replace" him. I don't see how I could ever feel right about it. I miss having someone to share with, but I don't want to make the compromises anymore. I want to be able to do what I want to do when I want to do it, not when someone else is agreeable. I never was one of those Housewives Tarot women, so there's no use pretending I am. I don't want to have to feel pressured to go to bed when someone else does. I don't want to have to cook if I don't want to. I don't want to wash someone else's clothes. I don't want to share the TV if something is on that I want to watch and he wants to watch something else.

The list goes on.

My late husband let me be me and I was a 9 of Pentacles woman while married. I guess you'd say he was the 9 of Pentacles man, too. But where else would I ever find someone like that again?

I guess I've strayed completely here. I'll go now. :rolleyes:

Seafra

canid said:
9 of Pentacles is one of my favorites, a 'make or break' card in a deck. She's experienced, self-sufficient & confident, not necessarily alone, not necessarily kept either. But within herself, she's got it goin' on.

This is essentially the meaning I get when looking at the card on its own. Someone who understands her personal truths and is comfortable with them, can thrive despite circumstance when necessary. In that case the hood can mean she's quieted self-sabotaging thoughts.

OT - Lucky star - if that pill gets you to the 9 of Pents it is a good thing and that's a great example of that hood!

hey canid, I've got Fibro too and Chronic Fatigue. Going to beef up my vitamin D as that's the newest idea floating around from what I've read. Of course the accompanying brain fog is strong in this one so I keep forgetting to buy it ...

lucky star

mary ventura said:
Have a little ritual before you go to bed; maybe light a candle, sit in the stillness, invite sleep to come into your heart.

Mary V

Thanks for the idea Mary - I will try this.

LaRazia