7 of Swords -- always a shadow side?

no_moon

7 swords pertaining to theater?? Woah, I'd watch for behind the scenes action that says you "can't" get the part because the whole thing's already been rigged. Maybe it's just my jaded nature from years in theater, though.

On the flip side, it could mean that you need to be sneaky and gather more information before approaching this in order to come out on top.

Either way, watch your back, and don't expect to necessarily come out on top easily. If you were going to be victorious without nearly any hitches, I would have expected the 6 wands here, not the 7 swords.

PentQueen

Yeah, I've been there too no_moon, having done theatre for years now--bummer, eh? And I'm not a fan of the 7 of swords either, but thanks to the wonderful responses given here I'm going to focus on the positive aspects of the card, and focus my mental ability like never before. Right now I'm going with myself being the dude with all the swords! ;) And if it's rigged in another's favour, then so be it. Can't do much about that scenario, so I'll be off to land the next role!

PentQueen

Well, I thought I'd update this thread, and find out if people had any additional thoughts pertaining to the 7 of swords.

I found out today that I did not get cast in the role...I didn't even get a callback. Strange, because I thought I gave an excellent audition and the panel 'appeared' to have really liked me. Out of my competition, I thought I had a really good shot, so I'm a bit stunned today--particularly to have not even made it to the 2nd round. I know for a fact that someone who didn't even have a song prepared rec'd a callback! I suppose this is the unfairness linked to the 7 of swords?

Anyway, I guess the 7 of swords pointed to someone else stealing the role. Any additional thoughts?

Eddie

As Thirteen says, the Tarot is sort of answering your question, for what it really wants to do is draw your attention to something your doing or not doing, long before you can even think of winning the part.

I believe it was Ligator who said something along the lines of how you are dealing with it, spot on I'd say. For me, what this 7 is saying, don't concentrate so much on the winning and look into how you are going to win it, for something is not going to go according to plan and you may not deal with it in the best way, which could possibly effect your chances.
Eddie

Eddie

Ooops, seem to have missed the more recent posts, too late anyway.
Sorry you didn't get the part but maybe there was something you didn't do or should have done, this is how I saw the 7 working out.
Next time you'l get the leading part.
Eddie

Jourdain

I've always viewed the "sneaky" or "unfair" aspect of the 7SW as directly relevant to surrounding cards. I think it is sort of the balance to the 5SW, which, in Waite's deck, appears to show a man actively being unfair. The 7SW in the same deck implies a more crafty version of this same quality. However, on it's own (or surrounded by positive or more neutral cards) I think the 7SW is more about acting in your own best interest--or even just going at things your own way, like a musician ceasing to try and replicate The Doors and shifting his priorities towards creating his own aesthetic. At best, I think the card can have to do checking your facts and looking into enemy territory; at worst, lying or cheating your way into victory. I think these are soft interpretations, though. Sometimes lying and cheating can be vindicated, it's up to surrounding cards to take this "at worst" quality and bring it into focus.

Hope this helps, PentQueen!

(Edit: Just read upstairs about the casting issues ^^. I'm an actress myself, and have drawn this card several times in relation to the kind of backstabbing bitchery that pervades life upon the wicked stage, haha. Just thought I'd add that to this post.)

dc_newb9

I've learned to love the 7 of swords. I use the Thoth, so I'm going to offer a different interpretation.

Now, I HAVE had this card mean "theft" or "trickery" when it was drawn with the Devil. It had to do with a buy that I sorta kicked myself for making when I had the feeling all along that I was being ripped off.

But in the Thoth, there is one big sword (the Sun, the ego, yada yada) being faced by six other swords, four of which have planets on their handles. And I've had this mean that people will be talking about me or looking at me (let's say if I've got something flashy on), and not necessarily (or usually) in a bad way.

So it can mean flamboyance! Having fun/toying with others and their perceptions without necessarily having to "say" or "do" anything.

The crowned one

It is interesting to note that the traditional cartomancer definition of this card is hope and desire. (aspirations) Looking back with hindsight this seems to fit pretty good.

I think the Sola-Busca decks image may be the turning point in this cards meaning as it is taken out of context now...

balenciaga

And in thoth it is Futility:)
Good luck for next time:)