JOURNAL SUPPORT GROUP!

inanna_tarot

I've moved house again and I can actually have my tarot cards out on display rather than just hidden in boxes. My journalling practice has gone way out of the window,so may be it's time to revive it :)

swedishfish612

I haven't read the entire thread yet, but enough to know that I want to join in on this conversation!

I love journaling and for the last few years have kept a Tarot journal as well as my regular journal. My regular journal tends to me more focused on spiritual stuff vs. just writing about my day or complaining about my something, if that makes sense. I might journal about a dream I had, or experiences working with a certain stone, that kind of thing.

But lately I've been considering combining my Tarot journal with my regular journal. It feels like the logical step for me. I often start journaling about one thing, say a bad dream. Then I end up writing about my fears and my need to address my fears head on, which turns into journaling about the Tarot cards that I associate with fear in general and my fears in particular. Then I wish I'd put the entire thing in my Tarot journal! lol

I'm wondering if anyone else does this, a combined journal? I kind of like the idea of my entire spiritual life/journey being in the one book. (Well, many books since I fill a book about once a year!)

Another thing I'm wondering about is if anyone keeps different journals for different decks? I've always kept just the one Tarot journal, but I'm thinking of working extensively with one deck in particular so I'm considering having a journal just for that deck. (But then I'm back to having a separate Tarot journal!) I probably overthink this whole journal thing but it's enjoyable for me, so it's not as stressful as it probably sounds. lol

DaughterOfDanu

I'm hoping to actually dedicate and journal in order to help expand my tarot experience. I'm torn between doing it digitally via my blog or in a physical notebook. I think I'd keep up with it more online, but retain more by physically writing. I'm also a little iffy on writing as the notebook I've got isn't necessarily special/appealing. I'm the type of person who would appreciate a written journal more if it was, well, prettier :p

Has anyone tried both digital and physical notebooks?

MaryHeather

I recently went through all my old journals (more than 20 years worth), and learned a few things.

Don't go digital unless you're okay with potentially losing all your stuff. I have about 6 Zip disks full of old notes and readings. Thing is, I went to a Mac platform about 6 years ago, and converting those files (even just to print them) is a huge PITA. It may not be an issue now with things like Dropbox and iCloud, but be prepared.

Spiral notebooks, although not necessarily pretty, are pretty darn handy for keeping track of things like daily draws and readings you do for yourself.

If you take notes when you read, or go off on tangents with things you want to add to your reading practice (geomancy? astrology? gypsy cartomancy?) go with a loseleaf notebook. You can add, subtract, and most importantly, rearrange things with ease. I found these awesome notebooks about 8 years ago, and LOVE them.
Instead of buying pre-punched paper, get the portable punch- much cheaper in the long run.

http://www.levenger.com/Circa-Notebook-Shell-5849.aspx

It is pretty cool to be able to look at old journal entries and readings from years ago and see how my interpretations of things have evolved. So, definitely keep writing it all down.

DaughterOfDanu

Thank you MaryHeather :) I decided to go with physically writing things down.

It took a while to get into it but once I got started, I put down a lot more than I thought I would. This is going to be extremely helpful in really getting to know each card.

AnemoneRosie

I have a lot of trouble journaling in any form. I also have a commitment to my Tarot journal. I've had it since the beginning, I have a format that I like (one page for each card so that my meanings can develop over time and then another section which is the journal part) and because I've had it for so long I want to be able to keep it up. The trouble is that I have such a block on journalling that it's affecting my willingness to use my cards. I love my cards! I want to use them nearly all day, every day! And yet that I might need to journal about it? I'll put my cards aside. This is very much not good. My daily draw has already become a casualty, and my weekly draw happens every few months. I have two decks that I need to interview.
I have about 40 pages left in my current journal and I'm trying to figure out what kind of paper/binding combination (I'm a very tactile person) might help me overcome this).

inanna_tarot

I am a serial journaller - I start, I have great ambitions... 3 days in it all falls apart.

I am currently having to meditate and journal the meditations as part of a course I am doing. BUT the catch is you are only allowed to write 20 lines for each day! No more, no less. This actually is really helping me get to the 'nitty gritty' of each meditation, rather than just ramble about it i.e.... 'this happened and then this happened, and then something else happened and then I woke up' changes into 'Fabulous meditation, feeling the deep fluidity of water, of how it is part of every cell of me, I am water, if it wasnt for my bones I'd be a puddle'
so you actually get the core essence rather than all the 'this and this and that and this' stuff.

Ive not tried this with tarot journalling yet, but if I get any more time I might give this a real go. Maybe a 78 weeks with only 20 lines per day to really get to the nitty gritty rather than rehashing the same old stuff.

Dark Victory '39

i've found i've become more intrigued in my journals when i started pairing decks up so that two decks share each journal and feed off e.o. in a compare/contrast of going through all the cards. So far the journal i keep going back and have gotten a lot of mileage out of is the one that houses both mary-el and prisma visions. i use them in readings together sometimes too; at first they seem such odd bedfellows but the depth and gut-churning in the mary-el seems to enjoy the plucky p.visions. it took me about a month to finish it, but then of late i've gone to the back of the book and started a new section of taking lines from their companion-books and comparing the text.

violetdaisy

I actually have 2 going at the same time at any given time. One for my daily draw and one for readings I do for myself or people close to me that don't mind if I document for reference. I don't do well with keeping a regular journal however, I have one but writing in it is sporadic. I actually just use composition notebooks and write in pencil. I type fast but don't have access to a computer with a keyboard outside of work otherwise I would type and then send for binding. someday...

Lerena

I am one of those people that love journals. I am addicted to them in fact, but I never actually write in them for some reason. Recently, I have decided that I want to start a tarot journal. This was about a week or two ago and I still haven't started one. The problem isn't drawing one card. The problem is talking about the card and how my day went. I have attempted a tarot journal before and my commitment always falls short. It even falls short when it comes to normal journaling.

Journaling keeps my mind fresh, but I don't seem to feel like my day will go according to the card. It is almost as if my life is stagnant with nothing happening in it and it has been this way for the past several months. Even those late nights doing college work felt stagnant and uneventful. I'm thinking that a journal would still be good for me though. I'm just not sure why I can't get my journaling process started.