Orgy of buying new decks

flipperjane

I am coming here to beg for help. I have indulged myself with an absolute orgy of buying new decks. It has to stop. Some of the decks have been disappointing but I don't seem to learn. I have two great decks that I use all the time - why do i feel the need to collect more?

I am waiting for a couple more to thud onto the doormat - I can't even remember what one of them is!!!! Can anyone identify with this?

Helpful and amusing anecdotes required and some wise words of restraint please ;)

edit: oops, sorry moderator I should have known to put this here - sorry. < Goes to get another cup off coffee and tries to wake up !! >

3ill.yazi

Try out the de enabling thread. Hide your CC, get a new one, block eBay or Amazon or whoever on your computer. Keep two of your least favorite decks in view.

When I used to get compulsive about buying books, I would carry around my ten or more most recent purchases in a book bag, so the schlepping would serve as a reminder to not get more. Maybe put all your decks in a bag and carry them around .... ?

flipperjane

Try out the de enabling thread. Hide your CC, get a new one, block eBay or Amazon or whoever on your computer. Keep two of your least favorite decks in view.

When I used to get compulsive about buying books, I would carry around my ten or more most recent purchases in a book bag, so the schlepping would serve as a reminder to not get more. Maybe put all your decks in a bag and carry them around .... ?

Brilliant idea. Not sure my partner needs to see how many decks I've bought!!!!. But yes having a regular look at the ones I wish I hadn't bought will help.

At some point I will shift them on I guess........ sigh

:D

Alta

At some point I will shift them on I guess........ sigh
Don't do that for a while, give them a chance. Tastes change and at some point you may be glad you have them. Sometimes it is a discussion around here etc.

As for not buying more, the posts above are great and funny (carry your 10 most recent purchases around, not that's brilliant!), also the one about leaving out your latest unliked purchase.

But right at the moment you are having a backlash in your mind and not giving at least some of those new decks a chance.

starla

I would question why you feel the need to buy so many more decks at the moment (I've had a bit of a spree myself so this is advice as much to myself as you!)

I have noticed in the past that when I need to work on a writing project but haven't managed to get going on it, I go on stationery buying shopping sprees. I have drawers full of notebooks and pens in every conceivable variant. I also find the book buying goes up when I need to work on my novel, hence the shelves and shelves of unread fiction.
I recognise it as a symptom now and so can usually knock it on the head early enough, but it took a lot of years of, frankly, wasted money.

Perhaps you are buying tarot decks because you need to work on reading tarot?

Starla
xxx

Marirowana

Quality over quantity! Agree with yourself that you need to get to know the decks you have very well, before you are 'allowed' to buy any new ones. How else can you know what you like, or what you're missing?

My house is like a full car park: one out, one in! (And it has to be something similar ;) )

Marirowana

I would question why you feel the need to buy so many more decks at the moment (I've had a bit of a spree myself so this is advice as much to myself as you!)

I have noticed in the past that when I need to work on a writing project but haven't managed to get going on it, I go on stationery buying shopping sprees. I have drawers full of notebooks and pens in every conceivable variant. I also find the book buying goes up when I need to work on my novel, hence the shelves and shelves of unread fiction.
I recognise it as a symptom now and so can usually knock it on the head early enough, but it took a lot of years of, frankly, wasted money.

Perhaps you are buying tarot decks because you need to work on reading tarot?

Starla
xxx

Interesting, Starla, I guess I do this too, but I've never been able to phrase it like that. Thank you! Brilliant advise.

Le Fanu

De-enabling threads don't work. Not for me anyway. It's all too improbable and light hearted and has never convinced me not to buy a deck I'm going to buy anyway.

Carrying them all around is a good idea. Preferably tied around your neck like an albatross.

In my experience nothing works. Not until you naturally come out of the tunnel at the other end having found the decks you love and work well with by trial and error. Maybe not having enough money to eat would work. Or having the electricity or water cut because you didn't pay the bill. I find that as long as I can buy and it doesn't have much impact on my finances, I just carry on.

At least it's not vintage cars or a compulsion for antique Cartier jewellery.

Aeric

I'm a hoarder just like you. I buy decks and decks in the heat of the moment because they're awesome and just what I want right now! And then they sit languishing in the basket weeks later and I feel guilty. I learned to overcome that guilt when I acknowledged that I truly love Tarot and it'll always fascinate me. I'll keep coming back to it, and that becomes a passion I don't feel guilty about spending money on regularly.

And I feel that because of the huge varieties of decks, some Tarot users collect decks just so they'll have just the right one on hand for whatever mood they happen to be in. Sometimes your Old Faithfuls just aren't making the cut that day and you want to look at something else. I have my "theme" weeks or months where I see something interesting in life like, say, a documentary on ancient China, and then I become obssessed with reading and learning Chinese-themed decks for a while, and then something else overtakes my life and the Chinese decks are replaced by the new theme. While Tarot is a constant passion, I love learning about new things, and because my interests are so varied, so are my periods of focus, and so are my Tarot decks.

So I'd suggest to curb your spending habits, go back through your pile and pick one deck that really grabs you at that moment, and absorb yourself in it. Then when the feeling lapses over a few days or weeks, put it away and put a new deck in front of your eyes. Just make sure that you're constantly moving through your pile so eventually you'll explore them all to some degree. When you've gone through them all once each, for varying lengths of time, ask yourself if you can't rekindle interest in one of the first decks. Then when you see a new deck in store later, you'll have saved some money, and if you buy it and put it away, add it to the pile so it'll come around eventually.

Just keep your interests in flux, don't be ashamed to learn a bit of one thing to the neglect of others for a period of time, and eventually you'll find new decks might become Old Faithful.

flipperjane

Don't do that for a while, give them a chance. Tastes change and at some point you may be glad you have them. Sometimes it is a discussion around here etc.

As for not buying more, the posts above are great and funny (carry your 10 most recent purchases around, not that's brilliant!), also the one about leaving out your latest unliked purchase.

But right at the moment you are having a backlash in your mind and not giving at least some of those new decks a chance.

Good points. Thank you for those calm and measured words.