Orgy of buying new decks

flipperjane

We all know that everybody can get by with one tarot deck , just like you only really need one pair of shoes . But as long as you can afford it , tarot buying is not a bad addiction to have as long as it's not making you unhappy or causing trouble . Maybe take some time and figure out why you like each new deck , what it has to say to you . See how you are reflected in the artwork and meanings of the deck , why you were drawn to it . Perhaps you will be led down some previously unknown inner paths to self discovery .
Now that's a good thought :)
Since I retired, I slowed down buying decks. It is fun to collect them -- I have about 150.

Now I am more careful about what I buy -- I do more research, and I have a much better idea of what I will use for readings.
I could do with doing a bit more research before I hit that 'buy with one click button' !!!

I'm still a beginner and have one deck that I use consistently, plus a few others, but I think I'm still looking for that "Say Yes to the Dress" moment with a deck. The one I use most is Crystal Visions, which is far from perfect but very readable. The art is a little simple, and the deck is a tad bit too feminine for me, so I'm still looking for the "right" one. That's why I keep buying decks (but I don't have much money, so I'm talking a couple decks a year, not including gifts).
yup - that's what I've been doing but there's been some good answers on this thread which have helped me adjust that idea somewhat :)
This is true for me: everything has its natural cycle, and I just bought eight or ten decks through the online annual llewellyn sale which arrived today, and some of them are already 'eh, not what I had wanted--boo', so I just see if they are good for reading for others, and now I feel no need to get more for now. Some decks that just arrived are more antique style and will require extra work for me to learn, so that is for the future, whereas some of the others have already been used for readings here for feedback today, or are in the bathroom to be scoped out at my leisure.

I just go through phases that either address a real need, or are an avoidance pattern that works for a while, like I used to eat a ton of ice cream every night before bed, but somehow outgrew that phase, so we have maybe ten brand new pints unopened in the freezer getting frostbitten (and in the interest of full disclosure, it's now smartpuffs that I eat at night). It's the wheel, I guess!
haha - that's funny - and I needed a laugh today - for me it's always dark chocolate - currently the Vivani brand, that's filled with cassis - oh yum :D
I consult with the decks I already have about buying new ones

It hasn't put a complete brake on my binge buying yet but I am sure sooner or later the practice will at least spare me the worst cases of buyers remorse

You guys are all so great - I was having a sad day but reading all these posts has really cheered me up - I read them all with a smile - so thank you friends :)

Unicorn Bacon

Anytime I notice I'm getting into that kind of behavior, I started calculating whether or not I want this deck or if a compulsive need wants the deck. If the latter, I don't buy it.

If you're unable to tell the difference between yourself and compulsive behavior then... I don't know what to tell you, lol. Bad habits don't go away on their own, and you have to stop enabling yourself to control or change habits. No one will do it for you; gotta take the bull by the horns, so to speak.

Rosewater

I know that compulsive-Tarot-deck-buying-spree syndrome well! It hits me a couple of times each year, and bang, I've got four or five on order.

The way I've learned to manage it is to gather a list of interesting decks as I hear about them, then wait. Do research, watch and read reviews to winnow out the "nah" options. That shortens the list considerably. Wait again. Give myself a "cooling off' period, then, if the decks still appeal, I press that "buy" button and look forward to receiving the decks.

Hope this helps. Please don't feel guilty about collecting and enjoying your Tarot decks. Everyone should have at least one (healthy) passion! :)

gregory

Anytime I notice I'm getting into that kind of behavior, I started calculating whether or not I want this deck or if a compulsive need wants the deck. If the latter, I don't buy it.

If you're unable to tell the difference between yourself and compulsive behavior then... I don't know what to tell you, lol. Bad habits don't go away on their own, and you have to stop enabling yourself to control or change habits. No one will do it for you; gotta take the bull by the horns, so to speak.

Collecting is not necessarily a bad habit. Just saying :)

chimera68

My total sympathy goes to you. I buy them because....
1. It helps me feel rewarded (entitlement) without buying something huge or expensive.
2. They're small and easy to hide. Hahaha can sneak package in house easily.
3. Can be re-sold if I do not like them...yes they are resellable if you need to.
4. They are not edible, I can't eat them and then say I wish I had not ate that huge deck it must have had 1000 calories. ugh.
5. Because I wanna try all of them that even look remotely appealing to me.
6. The cat made me buy it. For her. See, she likes it?.....purrrrrrr. Look how happy she is now.
Hope my random excuses are helpful.

I am coming here to beg for help. I have indulged myself with an absolute orgy of buying new decks. It has to stop. Some of the decks have been disappointing but I don't seem to learn. I have two great decks that I use all the time - why do i feel the need to collect more?

I am waiting for a couple more to thud onto the doormat - I can't even remember what one of them is!!!! Can anyone identify with this?

Helpful and amusing anecdotes required and some wise words of restraint please ;)

edit: oops, sorry moderator I should have known to put this here - sorry. < Goes to get another cup off coffee and tries to wake up !! >

teawoman

I won't be much help, Flipperjane, but you will at least know that you're not alone in the orgy business!
There are many wise and/or witty responses here. I'm pondering whether I can, without qualms of conscience, label myself a 'collector'. Thank you, Gregory, for this perspective!

My most recent attempt at rationalizing the purchase of 4 decks unfolded like this:
1) These two are both in stock and will arrive this week
2) Those two will ship in a couple of weeks, thus spreading out both the pile in the mailbox and the charges on my credit card. It's ideal!

The fatal flaw:
All four decks ship immediately and all arrive in 2 days. Foiled again!

gregory

-- to which I can add: if I buy six decks at once the postage is free....

It enables, but does not in fact improve my bank balance in the end....

Ica'rus

I have just begun my tarot journey, and I first purchased a RWS Deck. Then, amazon kindly offered some "Suggestions" of products [decks] that I may like. All I can say is, "It has begun".

I have 3 decks on my desk, 2 on the way, and about 5 in my amazon wishlist. 2 more that I am looking forward to still in development.

This will not end well for me.

ctrymaus

I have just begun my tarot journey, and I first purchased a RWS Deck. Then, amazon kindly offered some "Suggestions" of products [decks] that I may like. All I can say is, "It has begun".

I have 3 decks on my desk, 2 on the way, and about 5 in my amazon wishlist. 2 more that I am looking forward to still in development.

This will not end well for me.

Oh yes it will. :grin: Think of all the joy these decks will give you! Just be careful of your bank balance and think of where you will store [all] your decks! LOL! I don't even know how many decks I have, but it's well over 100, for sure.

Amazon may be the BEST (worst?) enabler!

CountryMouse

Alea

I've only had my interest in the tarot for just half a year or so now, I now have a dozen decks, 3 I regret and trying to sell off. I have 5 more decks on the way, 4 tarot, 1 oracle.
I have around 20 decks on my wish list, most of which i plan to buy duplicates/backups for. And most possibly, there will be a deck(s) that will catch my eye over the years and it'll just make my wishlist grow. TT__TT
Oh well, at least I love my cards. :)