"Blank" Card in Tarot Deck

morerain

I was just doing a reading and as I turned a card over, I got a 'blank card' (or non tarot card). In this case, I was using the Morgan-Greer Tarot deck - the card was an identification of the deck - a cover page, if you will.

The question posed in the position it was drawn was: "does the querent already know this person?"

Out of frustration, I redid the same spread and got Three of Swords Reversed instead.

I'm wondering, does either one or both of these cards mean anything? Maybe that blank card signifies that the deck won't reveal the answer. Only time will tell. Or am I over interpreting?

Since I did a second spread, should the Three of Swords be read with the 'blank card', separate or together? What does the reversed three of swords mean I this context?

This one's got me stumped.

SunChariot

I was just doing a reading and as I turned a card over, I got a 'blank card' (or non tarot card). In this case, I was using the Morgan-Greer Tarot deck - the card was an identification of the deck - a cover page, if you will.

The question posed in the position it was drawn was: "does the querent already know this person?"

Out of frustration, I redid the same spread and got Three of Swords Reversed instead.

I'm wondering, does either one or both of these cards mean anything? Maybe that blank card signifies that the deck won't reveal the answer. Only time will tell. Or am I over interpreting?

Since I did a second spread, should the Three of Swords be read with the 'blank card', separate or together? What does the reversed three of swords mean I this context?

This one's got me stumped.

I don't tend to believe in accidents or coincidences, to me when doing a reading everything pretty much has meaning. If you got that blank card you were meant to. And there was a reason for it. Now the interesting part is that you said that card was not actually blank, but was a cover card. If there were any words on that card or an image, I would take a look at those and see what they are trying to tell you.

Next, you abandonned that and started over with the 3 of Swords (reversed) reading. Both readings should be accurate. If you can figure out what message the blank card is trying to tell you, feel free to go with first reading and ingore the second. If not just take the second one as fact and ignore the first.

I would not try to combine the two though, pick one of the other and ignore the other.

Your question was a yes/no question. Those don't work well for everyone. I know they do not work for me personally at all. But as long as they work for you, that is my advice,.:heart:

And yes, that blank card could have been telling you that the answer cannot yet be known. That is a possible answer for it. But the thing is that you cannot figure these things out in your mind. You can only know what something unusual that happens in Tarto means by FEELING it, using your intuition. I think that is where your confusion is coming from. You're trying to think it out. You can't, you can only know by following your feelings.

Babs

morerain

SunChariot - this is a very interesting interpretation. I enjoy reading what you have to say because you offer a unique perspective and I'm relatively new at reading cards. I can learn much from the masters.

Trusting my intuition is the key I think... But my intuition isn't giving me a clear sign one way or another. Intuition says one thing and says another.

I'll look at the cover card for more meaning in the interim. As I see it now:

Blank card means it's not clear or cover card representing all the card (the deck of cards) means the answer lies in the cards, time will tell?

Three of Swords reversed - I'm in the process of healing. Time will tell?

Best I can do for now...

Anyone else with any insight?

PAMUYA

I had a similar thing happen to me, it was not a deck card and had the "tree of life" on it. I used it as part of the reading, it happened to be a new deck spread i was doing. I took it out after that and made sure no other "non tarot" cards was in there :)

SunChariot

SunChariot - this is a very interesting interpretation. I enjoy reading what you have to say because you offer a unique perspective and I'm relatively new at reading cards. I can learn much from the masters.

Trusting my intuition is the key I think... But my intuition isn't giving me a clear sign one way or another. Intuition says one thing and says another.

I'll look at the cover card for more meaning in the interim. As I see it now:

Blank card means it's not clear or cover card representing all the card (the deck of cards) means the answer lies in the cards, time will tell?

Three of Swords reversed - I'm in the process of healing. Time will tell?

Best I can do for now...

Anyone else with any insight?

Thanks. :heart:

It takes time for your intuition to develop more and to have faith in it enough to really follow the first thing that comes to mind. That takes time and it comes with experience.

On the other hand, both could be true at once. The cards could be saying both that the answer is not clear but that time will tell (that it will become clear in time). That does happen sometimes with questions about the future. Not only can the future be changed most times. But also sometimes when we ask the question, it can still just as easily go either way, so the cards can't get a clear enough hold yet in which will happen. Eg if its 50/50.

Babs

willowfox

***The cover card is identifying the deck, indicating an introduction, therefore the querent does not already know this person.

And therefore, the 3 swords Rx shows no connection.

morerain

I like all of the responses so far. All equally as valid in their own way, in my view. As Sun Chariot suggested, I examined the cover card for more clues. There was a city and state mentioned connected with the man I know... But in an indirect manner (through association in more way than one). I'm starting to think Jung was a genius! Synchronicity has been happening again and again in my life. There's also a possible future professional association linked with the card. So, the jury is still out - it could be him, someone he knows or a professional "association". Certainly a mystery.

It's interesting that 'Tree of Life' was mentioned (even though that wasn't depicted on the card). It's been coming into my life, "symbolically" so to speak. The third interpretation, the cover of a new book, new chapter in my life could also be valid. And it could mean a new person in my life...

So it's confusing. Thanks for responding. I'm sorry if it was TMI. I'm going to be working with a guide/coach who has been helpful to me as I'm getting overwhelmed with "messages" and this is new to me. If anyone knows of resources I could use in this forum, please let me know. I realize I'm going "off topic", but maybe there's somewhere else to discuss...

danieljuk

I decided to keep some blank cards or cards with an image that is uniquely part of the deck, shuffled into my decks. When they come up for me it means "not for you to know, at this time". Some things its not the right time for or not for you to know. Some people say the High Priestess can show this in a spread as well.

Some people don't use them or if they accidentally get one, just choose the next card in the deck.

GoldenWolf

The only time I keep any of those blank, extra cards in a deck is if they have some sort of graphic I like. When I was using the Legend Arthurian deck, there is an extra card with a dragon that looks like a heraldry symbol and no other text. So far, it has never come up in readings though. Otherwise, I do look through the deck before I do a draw to make sure that I haven't left them in since I typically assign no meaning to them.

I have never done it, but I have read some people use those cards like the blank rune in the modern rune systems to signify the unknown.

Rootrealm

This strikes me as an interesting question. It suggests that sometimes when we do something that we think is "wrong", it may not be wrong. I hold the Tarot in this context: that it is an oracular system we have, to use to intuitively obtain information. If we were highly developed in our intuitive and psychic skills, it is possible that we would not need any oracular system, we could simply "read" whatever signs emerged in our daily rounds -- we would "know" what was important to notice in what happened or what we saw or sensed through the day. Synchronicities would stand out for us very boldly and clearly.

Since most of us are not so highly developed psychically, we need some type of oracular system. But drawing a "wrong" card suggests that somethign that doesn't "fit" into our oracular system, can be used as well, and it expands our intuitive potential beyond the borders we have drawn about it. Interesting.