Lenormand Playing Cards

Teheuti

Okay - an idea for the 6s: Generally cold, abstract and selfish. The charactistics of near, far, tall and small could relate to that.

Even though Clover is a lucky card, it's not really warm and fuzzy (can you afford to be if you are taking a gamble and depending on luck?). Stars is rather abstract or scientific idealism. Cross, even when it means religion, is aloof.

Am I reaching here?

What I'm looking for is not so much individual playing card meanings but the effects of having three or four cards together of the same suit or number.

daphne

I've thought of doing this on several occasions but haven't done so. I usually have a card deck with me anyway, so I haven't really dived into the cartomancy with my Lenormand decks. I haven't seen the point given that I already get lots of answera, but I'd like to see a reading tha incorporates this at some point! :)

Exactly, I do the same. I also have a separate card deck with me, never used the cartomancy in Lenormand, the drawings keep me busy so I prefer cartomancy in a plain separate deck.

daphne

When you do this, do you use standard playing card meanings where the Queen of Spades is a divorced, widowed or evil woman and the rest of the Spades suit is equally troubling?

Yes, with the playing card I go by traditional meanings, no Lenormand-flavour mixed in it. And spades are the bad guys, with the Queen of Spades being the divorced, malicious woman etc.

But I prefer to use a separate "clean" playing card deck I have for cartomancy, instead of using the Lenormand inserts. The symbols in Lenormand sometimes hijack too much the focus on the inserts, exclusively. But I like to have this cartomancy inserts, anyway, it gives a sort of background "atmosphere".

KariRoad

Gleaned on-line: Tea Leaf interpretations (not gospel)

Earlier research I've done specifically on Tea Leaf fortune telling, but which I see (imho) as only marginally related to Lenormand cards. Essentially, dealing with a 36 card deck is vastly different than gazing into the dregs of a tea cup. An example, a tea cup might be "Cloudy" all around, or have "Stars" in abundance. Equally, I can imagine reading tea leaves for years without encountering even more than a dozen or so of the 36 Lenormand images ~ whilst I could easily do complete 36 CARD readings should I chose to.

A few tea leaf interpretations that seem related:

ANCHOR, a lucky sign; success in business and constancy in love; if cloudy, the reverse must be read. A pleasing symbol of good and loyal friends, constancy in love, and the realization of your wishes; an emblem of safety to a sailor.
BEAR, a journey north, sometimes prolonged travel.
BIER, a symbol of death; if near consultant, a personal sorrow, otherwise of a less personal nature.
BIRD ON A PERCH, if near consultant, news resulting in pleasant plans; if at some distance, there is a doubt of the news being sent.
BIRDS, a lucky sign; good news if flying, if at rest a fortunate journey. These are significant of happiness and joyful tidings; a single bird flying means speedy news, telegrams; birds in a row on a branch or line show that there will be vexatious delay in receiving some wished-for news; birds in a circle denote cogitation followed by swift decision. See also Clapper for Scaring Birds and Stuffed Birds.
BIRD'S NEST, this signifies a happy discovery, leading to a fortunate enterprise brought about to a great extent by your own patience and ability; it is also a good omen of love, friends, and increase of fortune.
BOAT, a friend will visit the consultant. Success in a new enterprise; seen with clouds, troubles and disappointment. See also Ferryboat.
BOOK, an open book shows a desire for information and a mind ever on the alert to understand new theories and facts; a closed book is a sign of expectancy.
BOUQUET, one of the luckiest of symbols; staunch friends, success, a happy marriage. This is a most fortunate symbol of coming happiness, love, fulfilled hope, and marriage.
BROOM, this signifies that there is need for you to be careful in the choice of your friends, and to avoid rushing into an intimacy which you might later have cause to regret.
BUILDING, a removal. A sign of removal.
BUSH, an invitation into society. Invitations and social enjoyments.
CHILD, this is a sign that you will soon be making fresh plans or forming new projects;
a child running means bad news or threatened danger; at play, tranquillity and pleasure.
CLOUDS, serious trouble; if surrounded by dots, financial success. These denote disappointment, failure of plans, and dismay.
CLOVER, a very lucky sign; happiness and prosperity. At the top of the cup, it will come quickly. As it nears the bottom, it will mean more or less distant. A very lucky sign of coming good fortune.
COFFIN, long sickness or sign of death of a near relation or great friend. A bad omen of coming bereavement; a coffin with a sword beside it shows death of a soldier; with a flag, that of a sailor; with snowdrops, death of a child or infant.
CROSS, a sign of trouble and delay or even death. You must expect to meet with hindrances and obstacles in the way of your desires; sorrow and misfortune are also indicated by this symbol.
DOG, a favourable sign; faithful friends, if at top of cup; in middle of cup, they are untrustworthy; at the bottom means secret enemies. This symbol has many meanings which must be read in accordance with the other symbols; in a general way this sign indicates adverse conditions, the thwarting of life's chances, unfortunate love affairs, family misfortune and money troubles; a large dog sometimes signifies protection and good friends; a small dog, vexation and impatience.
DOVE, a lucky symbol; progress in prosperity and affection. These birds give a personal message of happiness and an assurance of faithfulness in love, peaceful circumstances, high ideals, and progress; to those who are at enmity this symbol proclaims reconciliation; to the sick or anxious, comfort and hope; to a business man, a fortunate omen of success.
FISH, good news from abroad; if surrounded by dots, emigration. News from abroad; with other signs of movement, emigration; a starfish is a sign of good luck.
FLOWERS, good fortune, success; a happy marriage. Many pleasant meanings may be given to this symbol, good fortune, happiness, love, marriage, and a large circle of admiring friends, being among them.
FOUNTAIN, a most favourable omen foretelling happiness, success in love and marriage, prosperity in business, and good fortune in all you undertake; this symbol also points to an unexpected legacy.
FOX, treachery by a trusted friend. This denotes that you may have an unsuspected enemy, possibly disloyal dependents; sometimes it means theft and trickery.
HEART, pleasures to come; if surrounded by dots, through money; if accompanied by a ring, through marriage.
HORSE, desires fulfilled through a prosperous journey. Comforts, loyal friends, and pleasure; galloping horses mean that events are hurrying towards you over which you have no control, bringing many changes into your life.
HORSEMAN, a sign of good friends, luck, and advantageous offers.
HOUSE, a successful transaction, a visit, a new home.
KEY, money, increasing trade, and a good husband or wife. Circumstances will improve, things will become easy, and your path will be made smooth; you may hope for success in whatever you have on hand; a key at some distance from the consultant denotes the need for the assistance of good and influential friends in times of difficulty.
LETTERS, shown by square or oblong tea-leaves, signifies news. Initials near will show surnames of writers; if accompanied by dots they will contain money; if unclouded, good; but if fixed about by clouds, bad news or loss of money. These are shown by oblong or square tea-leaves, initials near give the name of the writer; with dots around they will contain money.
LILY, at top of cup, health and happiness; a virtuous wife; at bottom, anger and strife. A fortunate omen of realization, love, and marriage.
MAN, you may expect a visitor.
MOON (as a crescent), prosperity and fortune. A crescent moon denotes good news, fortune, and romance; for a man it predicts public recognition and honours.
MOUNTAIN, powerful friends; many mountains, equally powerful enemies. This gives promise of the realization of a great ambition and of the influence of powerful friends; many mountains indicate obstructions and sometimes powerful enemies in your career.
MOUSE, danger of poverty through theft or swindling. This invariably indicates that there is need for a trap to
OAK, very lucky; long life, good health, profitable business, and a happy marriage. This is a good omen of wealth, strength, and attainment of cherished hopes; for a lover, it predicts happiness and prosperity in marriage.
PIGEONS, important news if flying; if at rest, domestic bliss and wealth acquired in trade. These show reconciliation with someone dear to you from whom you have been estranged; if flying, important and pleasant news is on its way; if stationary, delay in the arrival of important news.
POSTMAN, important and profitable news.
RAT, treacherous servants; losses through enemies. Treachery and other impending troubles, are foreshown by this unpleasant symbol.
RIDER, good news from overseas regarding financial prospects. This brings good news from overseas of business and financial affairs.
RING, a ring means marriage; and if a letter can be found near it, this is the initial of the future spouse. If clouds are near the ring, an unhappy marriage; if all is clear about it, the contrary. A ring right at the bottom means the wedding will not take place. With dots around, a contract or a business transaction; with the figures of a man and woman, an engagement or wedding is foretold.
ROAD, creative opportunities are bringing you to another level. A road with signpost: this symbol must be read in conjunction with surrounding symbols; it usually emphasizes the importance of other signs.
ROCKS, these prepare you for alarms and agitation, but if good signs appear, you will eventually find a smooth path through your fife.
ROD (Whip), to a woman this sign foretells vexation and trials in her marriage; for a man, it has much the same meaning, and severe disappointment will befall him.
ROSE, a lucky sign betokening good fortune and happiness. A token of good fortune, joy, and love.
SCISSORS, quarrels; illness; separation of lovers. An unlucky sign of friction between friends; disputing and disagreeableness with married couples; quarrels between lovers; trouble in business.
SCYTHE, this sign foreshows grief and pain.
SERPENT, spiteful enemies; bad luck; illness.
SHAMROCK, a sign of good luck.
SHIP, a successful journey. News from distant lands; a successful journey; a voyage.
SICKLE, a sign that you will experience sorrow and pain through the callous behaviour of someone you love.
SIGNPOST, this symbol must be read in conjunction with surrounding symbols; it usually emphasizes the importance of other signs; a broken signpost indicates, that you take a wrong turning in your life and afterwards have much cause to regret it.
SNAKES, are a sign of bad omen. Great caution is needed to ward off misfortune. This is an unpleasant sign of treachery, disloyalty, and hidden danger, sometimes caused by those whom you least suspect; if its head is raised, injury by the malice of a man is predicted; it is also an indication of misfortune and illness.
STAR, a lucky sign; if surrounded by dots foretells great wealth and honor. A lucky sign; if surrounded by dots, wealth and honor are foretold.
STEAMER, a voyage, news from overseas, interesting events, according to other signs.
STEEPLE, bad luck. This denotes misfortune, bad luck; if it is crooked or bending it foreshows a coming.
STORK, in summer, this bird tells you to beware of robbery or fraud; in winter, prepare for bad weather and a great misfortune; a stork flying predicts that whilst you hesitate in coming to a decision, a profitable chance is lost, the news of which will speedily reach you.
SUN, this promises happiness, health, success in love, prosperity, and the beneficial discovery of secrets.
TOWER, this predicts an advantageous opportunity through which you may rise to a good position in life.
TREES, a lucky sign; a sure indication of prosperity and happiness. Good health and a pleasing assurance of coming prosperity and happiness.
WOMAN, pleasure and happiness.

KariRoad

Teheuti said:
I've notice that the 6's could be seen to relate to: tall, short, near, far (Tower, Clover, Cross, Stars) - but that might be a stretch.
My best suggestion, in all sincerity, would be that you create your own, traditional, historically faithful, and personally invigorating Le Normand oracle deck.

My experience was, how ultimately, each card simply had to be compatible with all the others. I sacrificed many 'perfect' images because they didn't BLEND in when all 36 cards were viewed together.

IMHO most "Lenormand" decks are hodge-podges, and when viewed as a whole, laid out in one group ~ amount at best to an insult to a contemplative psyche.

Le Normand ARLO is my favourite deck, it isn't plastic or phony, and to me, it's an inspiration to follow suit in my own way with something similarly traditional.

Carla

Le Normand ARLO is my favourite deck, it isn't plastic or phony, and to me, it's an inspiration to follow suit in my own way with something similarly traditional.

Does ARLO stand for something? Could you provide a link, I am interested in seeing this. :)

ETA: Ah! Found here: http://www.etsy.com/listing/31778428/le-normand-arlo-36-card-lenormand and here: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=125835

It's lovely but wow, £15 it would have to be a special treat. Hm. What holiday do I have coming up? *biting lip in thought* It is really attractive to me. I love the stark, clean look of it.

More here: http://www.tarotcollectors.com/view_topic.php?id=1080&forum_id=9

andybc

Does ARLO stand for something? Could you provide a link, I am interested in seeing this. :)

ETA: Ah! Found here: http://www.etsy.com/listing/31778428/le-normand-arlo-36-card-lenormand and here: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=125835

It's lovely but wow, £15 it would have to be a special treat. Hm. What holiday do I have coming up? *biting lip in thought* It is really attractive to me. I love the stark, clean look of it.

More here: http://www.tarotcollectors.com/view_topic.php?id=1080&forum_id=9

I had it but its disappointing, in quality, so for me not worth £15 imho.

Regarding tea leaves, it depends on source - I have meanings quite similar to Lenormand from Romania. Not all but some.

Carla

I had it but its disappointing, in quality, so for me not worth £15 imho.

I gathered this from a thread I found at a tarot collectors forum. Print quality, etc, not so good. Well, I've got a French Cartomancy deck on the way to me, so that will do for now! :D

andybc

I gathered this from a thread I found at a tarot collectors forum. Print quality, etc, not so good. Well, I've got a French Cartomancy deck on the way to me, so that will do for now! :D

Lol get a bigger work surface then ;) its bigger than most but that pattern is nice.