"The Key" to "the true"

tmgrl2

I see there is a new book about The Thoth coming out November 1.

Thoth Companion: The Key to the true Symbolic Meaning of the Thoth Tarot

I am not familiar with the author...don't know if he is a member here at AT.

I get nervous, though, when I see that someone has found

THE Key...

and that it is "THE TRUE" meaning....

Anyone know about this book or its author, Michael Osiris Snuffin?

terri

tmgrl2

Thanks, Lee!!

So...time will tell....

terri

Umbrae

Sounds like DuQuette's is better and not as 'dry' (and I do highly recommend it)

Only my opinion...

tmgrl2

I agree, Umbrae!

...."crisp prose" ..."laced with a wicked sense of humor"....Duquette's definitely sounds more appealing...that was half the fun of Ricklef's Tarot Tells the Tale .

frelkins

Ricklef is very amusing true, I giggled. But I must confess that crazy L. Milo DQ guy had me falling out of my chair with this oracle book. I dislike Crowley and all that, but Milo is a scream. I don't think anyone could be funnier than Milo, he should do stand-up.

tmgrl2

frelkins said:
Ricklef is very amusing true, I giggled. But I must confess that crazy L. Milo DQ guy had me falling out of my chair with this oracle book. I dislike Crowley and all that, but Milo is a scream. I don't think anyone could be funnier than Milo, he should do stand-up.

This is good to hear!! Don't have much on Thoth Tarot, so will probably give DQ a try, especially if you enjoyed Ricklef...

I get very nervous, anyhow, when an author claims in the title already to have the KEY to the TRUE MEANINGS...would that life worked like that!

terri

Aeon418

tmgrl2 said:
I get very nervous, anyhow, when an author claims in the title already to have the KEY to the TRUE MEANINGS...would that life worked like that!
Actually I would be nervous if the title was "The Key to the True Interpretations". The meaning of the symbolism is another story altogether. Too often with Thoth tarot books the meaning of the symbolism is thrown out in favour of the authors own views, which sometimes have absolutely nothing in common with the creators original intentions. Authors like Gerd Ziegler, Hajo Banzhaff, and Angeles Arrien all foisted there own interpretations on the symbolism, rather than letting the symbolism speak for itself.
I've just ordered a copy, so I hope Snuffin has had the good sense to do the latter.

Netzach

Umbrae said:
Sounds like DuQuette's is better and not as 'dry' (and I do highly recommend it)

Only my opinion...

I agree. Lon was one of the speaker's at this year's TABI conference . . . a lovely man, exuberant, full of enthusiam and very, very funny. And an excellent and exceptionally knowledgeable speaker as well. I'm halfway through reading his Thoth book and, even though I don't like the deck itself, I'm finding it extremely interesting.

FaireMaiden

Having studied with Lon for a while, I can whole-heartedly agree that he is a kick in the pants!... He's one of the jolliest fellows I have ever met, let alone worked with, has a deep compassion for the human condition, a keen and penetrating intuition, is knowledgeable beyond belief, possesses an innocence that is so refreshing, and is unaffected by ego-mania, which is even more refreshing! *lol*

As if that weren't enough, *lol*, Lon's doubly-blessed with the ability to impart information in such a self-effacing way that the laughter acts as a tension-reliever thereby allowing an even deeper absorption of whatever heady material he's covering...

He's a good man, a wonderful teacher, and a genuinely lovely human being... I highly recommend any and all of his books, *vvvbs*