Anna K Lenormand

Barleywine

I think Anna must be channeling my sister-in-law. I once did a GT for my SIL with the Gilded Reverie. She saw the Dog and said "Oh, look, he wants to go out!" She paused for an instant and then added "Maybe he has to "go!" Anna's Dog looks similarly eager. :)

EmpressArwen

Aw! Look at those eyes! So sweet. :)

greatdane

ANNA. K's - THE KEY

Dear folks,

illustrating what the Key means (in my book) was a very difficult process. At first I tried to find a design which wouldn't include a person. But no matter what I did when drawing just a key in a lock, or next to a lock, or even a hand holding a key to a lock, it always seemed unclear whether the key was actually about to unlock or lock it. Also, these sketches seemed strangely distant and cool, unemotional. But when we open something, even if this eventually requires an actual, mechanical act, the first step is always that our heart warms to the idea, and that our mind understands the necessary approach. So the Key is never just about doing or achieving something, it is also very much about specific mental and emotional processes. So I finally realised I had to paint a person whose heart area and head would be at least partly visible, too, not just their hand. If you are interested I write more about the image in the last paragraph of the interpretation page.
Here is the Key:
http://annak-tarot.at/lenormand/33_key_e.html
View all:
http://annak-tarot.at/index-lenormand_e.html

The next card I upload will be the Crossroad.
Warm regards,
Anna

decan

Beautiful Key!
In a way the card Anna K. drew makes me think to the Judgment card she drew in her Tarot.

celticnoodle

I agree! I also like it. After reading the post, GD, I wasn't sure what to expect. But, when I opened the picture, I like it! I don't think the person/lady in the card takes away from it at all. It is well done and very thought provoking! Well done!

Village Witch

The lady doesn't take away from the Key card at all. In fact, it adds to it. Looking at the card filled me with anticipation of all things bright and beautiful. Opening a door to a crisp clear bright morning after a long night of darkness. Not being able to see the lady's face adds to the intrigue of this card. I see her eyes wide and shining with excited anticipation of a warm bright sunny day as a smile from ear to ear spreads across her face. Very well done!

greatdane

I agree

The woman doesn't detract from the Key for me, but rather almost draws attention to it, frames it and I like that.

The fact the woman is more like an accessory to the Key, instead of the other way around, makes this a unique Key for me.

Also because the woman is just a side view, not facing the reader, I didn't see the Woman card, I saw the Key, first and foremost.

I thought this card was especially well thought out and well done. I have enjoyed ALL the images so far, but this was an interesting take on the Key that kept it in the realm of the way I see the Key, but just added Anna's touch.

Barleywine

It looks like this is where I part ways with this deck. The definition offered doesn't seem to contain a single word of the traditional ideas I first learned about this card. The image is fine, but the underlying rationale diverges widely from what I understand about its meaning - originally, it had no psychological implications and virtually no ambiguity that I can detect. Everything else is just modern embellishment.

greatdane

Well you said it, Barleywine

The image is fine. I didn't even read what Anna wrote. I have my own way of reading.

I see the Key as pretty literal. The KEY to something, what shows you the way, what opens the door, what the answer is.

I JUST look at the image and if the image works for me, I'm good with it.

I don't do lwbs for decks as I have my way of reading as obviously you do too.

So if the IMAGE works for me, I don't mind what the designer/artist may or may not think. I just go by the visual.

I do not say Anna and I see the meaning of every card the same, but the images she has done allow me to read the way I read, so that is good enough for me.

celticnoodle

The lady doesn't take away from the Key card at all. In fact, it adds to it. Looking at the card filled me with anticipation of all things bright and beautiful. Opening a door to a crisp clear bright morning after a long night of darkness. Not being able to see the lady's face adds to the intrigue of this card. I see her eyes wide and shining with excited anticipation of a warm bright sunny day as a smile from ear to ear spreads across her face. Very well done!

or, I can see the woman opening door filled with confidence because she KNOWS what to expect--she has THE KEY to whatever it is on the other side. :) Yes, it was brilliantly done!

It looks like this is where I part ways with this deck. The definition offered doesn't seem to contain a single word of the traditional ideas I first learned about this card. The image is fine, but the underlying rationale diverges widely from what I understand about its meaning - originally, it had no psychological implications and virtually no ambiguity that I can detect. Everything else is just modern embellishment.

Barleywine, I'm surprised to read your post. But, to each their own. I wouldn't allow one card to turn me away from a deck or even a few cards. And, I never expect the LWB to sway me either. I'm more of a visual reader anyway--and I do like to peek at the LWB for ideas on how the creator saw the meaning of the card, but I prefer to trust my gut for the meaning.

I sometimes come up with meanings that most find really bizarre--but then my hunches are generally right on the mark when I hear from the customer. And, btw, I disagree that it doesn't offer a single word of the traditional idea of what the card means. I feel it is right on the mark.

Can I ask you how you see/what you feel the traditional meaning is for it? Because other books and online sites I've peeked at seem to agree with what Anna has.