One set or several? Some readers use same deck for years

Aunty Anthea

Good people I seek your advice :D

Some professional readers of many years standing, prefer to use the same deck. This means that they know everything about that particular deck, which is good, BUT what happens when they have worn out several sets of that deck and it becomes almost impossible to find another copy

Some people may feel that the power they have to read stems from that particular deck and that deck alone

I personally feel that it is good to use a variety of decks, let the deck match the client :)

The cards I used 20 years ago are NOT the cards I use now

My own favourite is the Mythic Tarot, I keep it for my own personal use :love:

Darkmage

What are you really asking here?

For me, I use RWS for the majority of public readings. It's easy enough to find another copy if the cards wear out, get lost, or stolen. I always keep the pocket size in my purse. God Forbid, should it get lost or damaged, I can order another copy off Amazon or go find another copy for less than $20.

I'm also a collector. My rare and OOP decks stay at home. I have quite a few of these and they don't leave the house except under exceptional circumstances.

Aunty Anthea

What are you really asking here?

For me, I use RWS for the majority of public readings. It's easy enough to find another copy if the cards wear out, get lost, or stolen. I always keep the pocket size in my purse. God Forbid, should it get lost or damaged, I can order another copy off Amazon or go find another copy for less than $20.

I'm also a collector. My rare and OOP decks stay at home. I have quite a few of these and they don't leave the house except under exceptional circumstances.

You are wise to use cards that are easily replaceable :)

I know of readers who rely on unusual decks and have often bought several copies of that deck but are now experiencing difficulties in finding replacements

I was with a lady today who has an old, Italian deck. She believes that particular deck called her into the shop and she could not leave it there, she just had to have it. The cards are very battered and stained but she was not interested in any of my newer cards

I really think that some people feel they are attached to a particular deck and that nothing else will ever work for them. I just wondered what other people think :)

Tanga

I would agree with Darkmage, Aunty Anthea - that your question is a bit rambling.

Are you seeking agreement that it's a good idea not to be stuck to one deck?
It would be a tragedy if a reader thinks that their power comes from one specific deck and nothing else will do (which of course is not true - the power is within).
Then - as you point out - that individual is up-the-creek (without a paddle) if that deck is no longer available.

However if an individual prefers to use just one deck all-thier-life, that's up to them isn't it? And is not necessarily a reflection of anything, I would think.
I met a lady the other day who reads with just one deck. And when I told her I had a collection of about 60 - she was flabbergasted. She couldn't image why (I just smiled - knowing that 60 is a small number - compared to many other people I know).
I've known other readers who favour just one deck (and were amazing readers too).
Some readers tell me - that clients will often prefer the RWS because they associate that deck as being the "proper" or "traditional one" for a reading. (area specific I imagine).

I myself am eclectic in all things. So there'd be no way I'd ever stick to one deck. :)
I want to see, do and learn too many things all-the-time really. :) Lol.

Darkmage

I've had people tell me that if the deck isn't RWS, it's not 'real' Tarot. I just laugh at them, take their $20, and read for them anyway knowing that they're probably not going to hear a word I say. These are the same people that you mention 'Crowley' and they turn into a strange combination of apoplectic and groveling, so...gotta love the New Agey whackjobs. Show them a Marseille deck and they don't understand what they're seeing. *sigh*

60 decks is a respectable collection, if a bit on the small side. Mine's about the same size as I just buy what I like and don't spend too much money.

chongjasmine

I think it is wise to purchase several sets of the same deck.
In case it is worn out, you still have some sets left.
For me, it is not a problem, though, as I use RWS.

Ace

For me, I always use the same deck (I am "serially monogamous" having changed to NEW decks only 3 times; RWS to Robin Wood to WorldTree Tarot. using the SAME deck is fine for some. I have issues with people who use the Same COPY of a deck for years. They get really worn and almost unreadable but they won't part with them.

If what you are saying is your deck of choice is out of print and difficult to replace with a new copy, I sympathize. The only suggestion I can make is see if a SIMILAR deck (or same TYPE of deck) is available and buy a few copies for the future. Change is scary but it can be good too.

barb

Thoughtful

l have several tarot friends who read only with one deck and have been for years. l always thought how great to love and know a deck so well that you did not get fed up with it.
Well l have my all time favourite two tarots but l still need to change it around a bit and use a tarot from my little collection now and again. Mainly to have a breather and a refresh. Even though l get tempted by buying other decks l find l always return to my faves, but its still good to know l have my little collection whenever I need a different stimulus.
l have backup copies of my faves so do not worry about wearing them out or losing them.

Chitrani

I had a nice small collection of Decks for many years. Three of those decks I read with regularly. One "purse deck" one "everyday" deck, and one, "fancy deck". I read with those decks for about 20 years.

When my decks were lost to me... I stopped reading. Not because I thought I thought my power or accuracy came from those decks, more because I was that upset. No cartomancy at all for me for about 5 years.

When I felt recovered, I purposely choose to start again with Lenormand, a style deck that I knew of, but had never really read with before.

I think I figured if I had to start over, I might as well REALLY start over and learn something new while I was at it :p

Now that I've started reading and collecting again, I notice I am purposely aiming for New decks, which were NOT art of the original collection. I'm sure eventually, I'll pick up previously owned decks, I just find I don't have the heart for it right now.

Just my 2 cents

Chitrani

Chimera Dust

If you're reading professionally and your go-to deck is something that might offend or upset your sitters, then it seems like a good idea to use something more neutral or give them a choice.

Beyond that, it's a matter of personal preference and what works best for you. I think it's helpful to see different takes on the cards, but it's not a requirement to be a good reader.