Selling using paypal

Yelell

I didn't know where to ask this, so please move it if it's in the wrong place.

If I wanted to sell a few decks here, do I use my regular paypal account that I already use for buying things? I was just given something I already had, plus there are a couple nice decks I don't really care to hold on to. Sorry, I've never sold anything online and I'm not really sure how to sell a few things if I'm not a business or anything.

The Happy Squirrel

Yes, you can :)

Padma

I didn't know where to ask this, so please move it if it's in the wrong place.

If I wanted to sell a few decks here, do I use my regular paypal account that I already use for buying things? I was just given something I already had, plus there are a couple nice decks I don't really care to hold on to. Sorry, I've never sold anything online and I'm not really sure how to sell a few things if I'm not a business or anything.

I believe there is an option to receive monies, as well :) just get the buyers to send it to your paypal account, via your email.

danieljuk

yes most people ask the buyer to pay as a friend (not a business "sale") and also for the buyer to pay the fees involved, so they just get money like friends sending money to each other.

you just need to give the email address associated with your paypal yelell to them :)

nisaba

Yes, you can :)

But if you haven't already done so, you have to go back to Paypal and set up your existing Paypal account as a "merchant" account. I did it years ago even though I don't regularly sell on the net, and it's proved invaluable.

I can't remember exactly what to do, but go to the Paypal site, sign into your account, and explore all the minor links. That's what I did, and when I found the right option, I just did what the screen told me to. I have a dim memory of it being awkward, but it's worth it.

Yelell

But if you haven't already done so, you have to go back to Paypal and set up your existing Paypal account as a "merchant" account.

That's what I was afraid of. I did a google search that said there were personal, premier, and business accounts, with premier saying it was for casual sellers. When I logged into paypal however the only options available are personal and business, which was recommended for online merchants with company names. I can't go through that:confused:for a couple decks?

danieljuk

Unless you are going to set up a business doing tarot readings or selling decks possibly called Yelell's Marvellous Tarot Company Inc, you don't need to do anything but have a personal account! If it's just a few decks in your name, the personal account is fine. I think merchant listed accounts are gone now, it's those 3 choices and the premier personal account has fees attached! You can do everything you want with Personal :)

gregory

But if you haven't already done so, you have to go back to Paypal and set up your existing Paypal account as a "merchant" account. I did it years ago even though I don't regularly sell on the net, and it's proved invaluable.

I can't remember exactly what to do, but go to the Paypal site, sign into your account, and explore all the minor links. That's what I did, and when I found the right option, I just did what the screen told me to. I have a dim memory of it being awkward, but it's worth it.
I just set up an account to use to PAY with. I never did anything about being a "merchant." I never even let them access my BANK account, only my credit card. People just send me money and it sits in there till I spend it. That's even how I am paid by printerstudio for sales of my deck. the only thing I DID do was make it a - something or other - account so that I could take credit card payments.

I seem NOT to have a business account; I do have a merchant number. I can't tell, but I vaguely recall upgrading to premier at some point. ETA at Daniel - REALLY ? My account has no fees at all. Well, except for accepting credit card payments - just as stores have to pay a fee on each one.

I just looked, and it seems you can upgrade a personal account to a premier account... On a forum there where others have had the same problem, it seems you have to go to "Select the business account" option and during the registration part select "individual" instead of registered company.

But I received money to the account before I upgraded, when I sold a load of MiL's stuff on ebay.......

Don't worry - it will be fine.

danieljuk

The premier account is for personal folk who want to do a lot of transactions (like thousands of £€$ a month). I think there is a monthly fee for it or higher fees but you get benefits on huge amounts of transactions going through (business the same but you have a company name and possibly employees). Personal is just the fees on transactions. Most trades on AT ask (or it's seen as the polite thing) that the buyer pays the small fees and say they are sending to a friend / family.

ETA: yay paypal to be confusing! reading on google, premier and merchant accounts are gone, you just get a personal if it's in your name or business if you have a business name. both accounts get the processing fees. if you take the payment like a merchant you pay the fees, if you take the payment like a friend of family owing you money, they pay the fees. Paypal has moved to transactions rather than it's old way of doing accounts! It is really confusing!

gregory

But as far as I can tell I HAVE a premier account... with no fees. I certainly upgraded, and I can't see anything else I could have upgraded to...

Well, everyone pays fees for receiving credit card payments; as long as it's paid with cash/paypal balance, there are none - though yes, better to ask for a "personal payment". Now there ARE fees if it all goes through ebay.

But basically, Yelell - don't worry - you are fine as you are. Just ask for a "personal payment" and for them to pay any fee - OR - allow for the fee in the price you ask.