If you do readings by email, Do you include pictures of the individual cards?

Tanga

...Maybe I'm naive but i don't worry too much about copyright infringement... Haven't heard of any cases where someone has had a problem with that on instagram or with e-mail readings. So meh...

Well - I just didn't want to be the first. Lol. So - I checked carefully.
I don't see how it should be a problem - but one never knows. :)
And for my email readings where the client gets to choose their deck - the cards images are displayed publicly on my website.

Originally - I asked Lo Scarabeo if I could use the images of 3 of their decks.
They agreed for a period of 3 years with payment. I decided I didn't want to pay, so I went looking for other alternatives (with my fingers wildly crossed!).

Chitrani

Wow, Y'all are awesome !

Tenga _ I Didn't want to be the first or second, or even third ! Copyright laws are so funky !
It would be awesome if I Could give a choice of decks, but I'm not up to anything that fancy yet, still trying to get my stuffs back together. I"ll definitely be taking a look at your site.

Treeleafe - I should definitely consider doing something like that, and breaking it up by price.

Citrin - Giving a picture of just the spread was one option I thought I might get away with. I wasn't sure if that would just confuse people, however.

Tigerangel - That was sort of what I was thinking of first, that a picture of the entire spread might be considered "fair use", and I could pretty it up. There are so many options ! then I was thinking, "maybe I should skip the picture all together.. copyrights and stuffs"

Apollonia _ Excellent points ! Somehow in the confusion of trying to set up this new thing, I guess I lost the plot in a way. Pictures are pretty, but in the end what most people really want is the Information. The information definitely takes precedence !

It's really neat to see the variety of ways people do email readings, and how we can each let our personalities come though through them.

Chitrani

Grizabella

I haven't read everyone else's posts but I don't send photos. I do the reading and if it's for another reader, I'll name the deck and name each card drawn. Other than that, I just give the reading.

The reason I don't send photos (but would if asked, of course) is that the client, whether a reader themselves or not, is coming to me for the reading and therefore, it's my skill and experience they're paying for, not a lesson in Tarot.

Although, I do mentor beginning readers and in that case, I'd definitely send photos of any readings as a resource to help them learn.

Tarot is so much more than just memorizing card meanings. A photo of the spread isn't going to really help much in the case of a reading for a person who doesn't read cards themselves. Even reading for another reader, the photos of the spread most likely won't give them the whole story of how you got the information you got from the cards, but if they want a photo, I'll send one. With the cautionary information that I'm no whiz at taking and sending photos, though. :p I just got a better phone but sending the photos to the internet is still something I'm learning.

Grizabella

Neither, nor do I state what spread I'm using or which cards came up, unless (and this is quite rare) I'm dealing with someone who has in-depth knowledge of the cards, or is trying to learn to read. And even then, I will only cite a couple of the cards that are either unique or obvious.

In my experience, whether FTF, via phone, or via email, querents just aren't that interested in the individual cards or any of the other mechanics of how we get the information--they just want the information. If a querent really wants that piece of information, they will ask for it. I've never had anyone ask.

As with most anything else around reading for others, if you like it, do it and people will like it too, but if you don't see the point or it's not easy for you, skip it.

I totally agree with Apollonia, now that I've read some other responses.

Chitrani

I haven't read everyone else's posts but I don't send photos. I do the reading and if it's for another reader, I'll name the deck and name each card drawn. Other than that, I just give the reading.

The reason I don't send photos (but would if asked, of course) is that the client, whether a reader themselves or not, is coming to me for the reading and therefore, it's my skill and experience they're paying for, not a lesson in Tarot.

Although, I do mentor beginning readers and in that case, I'd definitely send photos of any readings as a resource to help them learn.

Tarot is so much more than just memorizing card meanings. A photo of the spread isn't going to really help much in the case of a reading for a person who doesn't read cards themselves. Even reading for another reader, the photos of the spread most likely won't give them the whole story of how you got the information you got from the cards, but if they want a photo, I'll send one. With the cautionary information that I'm no whiz at taking and sending photos, though. :p I just got a better phone but sending the photos to the internet is still something I'm learning.

Thanks for your comments !

Good points !

I have a phone. It even takes photos ! I have no idea how to get the photo's into my computer however.

More than that, I can see where pictures of the cards for non- tarot readers might just confuse them. Many, many years of readings .. and yes, you are correct, pictures would not give clients the entire story of how I got the information.

Chitrani

tarotlova

The latter.
Take a look at it yourself if you like. The link to it is on my profile page.
I have a "card slider" with 2 cards from each of the three decks as examples.
But a static photo with examples of each would do too.

Thanks Tanga, I love your site and I think the slider is a great idea, how did you get permission to use the decks? Do you have to approach the publisher or creator? Sorry for all the questions but I want to do it right :)

Cocobird55

I ordered a reading from Sulis awhile back, and she included pictures of the cards. The reading was very accurate, and it made me fall for the Wild Unknown, which is now one of my favorite decks.

Tanga

Thanks Tanga, I love your site and I think the slider is a great idea, how did you get permission to use the decks? Do you have to approach the publisher or creator? Sorry for all the questions but I want to do it right :)

Check what it says about who holds the copyright for the deck in the LWB (bear in mind, different editions may have different copyright holders).
Then - email or call them and ask if you can have permission.
:)

@Cocobird55 - Sulis has cool site.
(It's Tarot Sulis, if anyone wants to go looking there).

queen_of_cups_15

when i do email readings i ALWAYS include a picture of the deck. I tell them the name of the cards so they can follow along. I make a nice PDF file which includes the cards and the written reading, along with their name and date. It's a nice little presentation. I personally feel like when doing an email reading the client is missing out on the "in person" experience, so I like to create a nice little keepsake for them to put in their pictures folder (or where ever) on their computer. :)