"Evolution Through the Tarot" ?

Calcifer

Anyone familiar with this book by Richard Gardner ?
I got it back in the 70's and found the whole idea, well, fascinating. I hadn't reread it in awhile, but now that I'm going through it one more time, I could have sworn that there were meditation layouts at the end - but my current copy doesn't seem to have them...

Thanks
Michael

rwcarter

By "meditation layouts" are you referring to the different arrangements of the Majors to focus on a particular topic/aspect? If so, my Weiser copy published in 1977 with ISBN 0-87728-371-0 with 158 pages has those as follows:

• Figure 1 looks at the cards 11 numbers apart in a clock formation
  • Figure 2 lays the cards out in 2 rows going clockwise from 1 in the center of the first row, which ends with 6, then the 2nd row starts with 7 on the far right and has 12 in the middle, ending with 17 on the far left, and then back up to the 1st row, starting with 18 and ending with 0 just before 1. The cards on either side of the center cards are looked at in pairs.
  • Figure 3 has a similar arrangement to Fig. 2, but starts with 0 in the center of the bottom row going clockwise around with 11 in the center of the top row. Again the cards on either side of the center cards are looked at in pairs.
  • Figure 4 has the same arrangement as the last two figures with 5 in the middle of the top row and 16 in the middle of the bottom row with the cards on either side of those cards are looked at in pairs.
  • Figure 5 has 2 and 13 in the middle of the rows with the cards on either side of those cards are looked at in pairs.
  • Figure 6 has 6 and 17 in the middle of the rows with the cards on either side of those cards are looked at in pairs.
  • Figure 7 has 0 and 11 in the middle, but is different from Fig. 3 in that the rows are flipped both horizontally and vertically.
  • Figure 8 has the cards in 2 columns with 1 at the top of the left column and 11 at the top of the right column. (Left column is 1-10, then 0 while the right column is 11-21.) This lines up the "two dancers" of the Tarot, the Magician and Strength (as 11). 6 and 16 are in the middle and the cards on either side of those cards are looked at in pairs.
If that's not what you're talking about, please expand on what you're referring to as "meditation layouts."

Rodney

Calcifer

Yep, that's exactly what I was talking about... My little hard cover edition seems to have been printed in 1970 and doesn't even have an ISBN # - but it does have an SBN #... and it is 112 pages.

I'd lost (that means lent out) my original copy. I guess I'm not losing my mind. I just knew that something was missing. Love that book....lol.
Thanks !!
Michael

rwcarter

I don't remember seeing anything in my Weiser edition about it being a reprint. Is your hardback by Weiser? If not, then I'd guess the extra content was added for the Weiser edition.

Looking on Amazon US (where there are a number of copies of my paperback edition available), it does say, "Samuel Weiser; Updated edition (June 1977)". So that explains it.

Rodney