the fool and the hermit

earthdance

look at the snowy mountains in background of the fool's card. those mountains are the snowy tops where the hermit will climb up to when he goes in his inner journey.

earthdance

sorry

lol sorry this was supposed to go in the waite observations thread. i misplaced it!!

Inana

I dont know why I missed this thread for so long... (Well I rarely look at this study groups boards).

The Fool becoming the Hermit is a connection I always made. I noticed too that detail on the mountains and its something very interesting. Its like a process of growing or getting old:
The Fool has no experience, he looks outside to understand the world, he looks towards the sky (thats optimism, curiosity for everything), the stick he wears is carried on his shoulders with that bag. He wears happy clothes.

The hermit with all his experience finds the interesting to discover isnt outside but inside, the background is snowy and cold, like if the time is in suspension, death, no much to see there. He looks inside to understand the world, he looks more towards the ground, so he has lost some of the illusion and the hability to get surprised by the environment. His clothes are serious too. And now the stick of the experience serves to help him to walk.
Both them are in a journey, but very different kind of.

TemperanceAngel

The Fool does become the Hermit, but if you start at the beginning (the Fool's Journey) we find that when the Fool jumps off the cliff in his "leap of faith" and when lands he has become the Magician.

If you look at the Elements on the table you discover that they were in the Fool's bag and the staff the bag was on becomes the Magician's wand.

The next section of the journey is to become the High Priestess and so on and so forth until we come to the World, the end and the beginning, much like the Fool.

The World has seen a long process of our journey, in fact 21 cards. This is why the World is so beautiful and flowing, but to never forget the process it took to arrive there.

The Rider-Waite deck never ceases to amaze me....

Inana

TemperanceAngel said:
The Fool does become the Hermit, but if you start at the beginning (the Fool's Journey) we find that when the Fool jumps off the cliff in his "leap of faith" and when lands he has become the Magician.
I see your point. But I dont understand the Fool's journey that way. To me the Fool interacts with all the Majors, but does not become them.
Thats why I like this especial connection between him and the Hermit. Also I see the Magician becoming the Emperor, or other transformations, as if its the same person when growing older. Dont know if it makes many sense for the others, but works for me.

And, yes, the Rider Waite is amazing, one always can find new symbols on those cards.

TemperanceAngel

Maybe I didn't explain myself properly?

The Fool becomes The Magician, who becomes The High Priestess, who becomes The Empress, who becomes The Emporer... cont through the deck

Each part of the 'journey' brings a new aspect in eg: masculine, feminine etc.

Inana, have you ever laid your cards out with The Fool at the top and the reat in 3 rows of 7, Magician to Chariot, Strength to Temperance, Devil to The World. The three lines represent 3 levels of consciousness and the journey that takes place with them.

Racheal Pollack gives a great description of the 3 lines in "Seventy Eight Degrees of Wisdom."

I do agree that it is the same person growing old indeed!

XTAX

Inana

Ops... sorry if i didnt understood fine.

Yes, each card adds a new aspect. Thats the nice thing with tarot.
I did months ago that examination on three rows. Maybe would be interesting to try it again to see if i find new things.

TemperanceAngel

Hi Inana,

Everytime I take the Majors out to look and work with on my own, I always see new things and, to me, that is part of the beauty of the Tarot: we never know everything, we always keep learning and discovering new aspects!!!

Don't you think it is all so much fun, our Tarot journeys?

I love it!

XTAX

Mystic Zyl

I agree the Fool becomes the Hermit and everyone of the majors. It is conditions of life the Fool learns on his journey.

When Wait guided Smith in illustrating these cards he had her incorproate many esoteric symbols. This is why I value these cards. They were not a get rich quick scheme, like many publishers today. These cards have true meaning, hold centuries of knowledge that the Golden Dawn studied.

TemperanceAngel

Mystic Zyl said:

When Wait guided Smith in illustrating these cards he had her incorproate many esoteric symbols. This is why I value these cards. They were not a get rich quick scheme, like many publishers today. These cards have true meaning, hold centuries of knowledge that the Golden Dawn studied.

Agreed!

XTAX