Éditions de l'Aigle Wirth

coredil

Abrac said:
But the wildest thing, to me anyway, are the backs! They look like some kind of Rorschach card done in water colors. It is one of the weirdest backs I have ever seen. Now I am wondering if it is original or a modern artist's creation. If I could read French, it might say somewhere in the booklet. Do any of you with an earlier printing have the same back? Mine is a 2005.
Hello Abrac,
I also always wondered about these funny cardbacks.
To me they look like a decorative exercise painted by a pupil.

There is nothing about the cardback in the booklet.

coredil

BTW this is the cardback Abrac mentions:

Attachments

• WirthAigleCardback.jpg
    WirthAigleCardback.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 289

Fulgour

The Master's Hand

coredil said:
I also always wondered about these funny cardbacks.
For much of his early career, and indeed his income,
Beethoven performed in private homes doing pieces
that were known, but also with impromptu stylings.

It was truly Spiritual music...flowing spontaneously
and mesmerizing his listeners...this was part of his
dilemma when his hearing began to fail~ the magic
of these creations was denied him~ and his hosts.

Looking at the card backs on the Éditions de l'Aigle
what I see (what I feel) is the artist: Oswald Wirth.

Queen of Pentacle

These backs

Hi Abrac an Coredil!
The booklet, which a read more than once, dont say a thing about the backs. I think that edition de l'Aigle wanted to be creative and did something somewhat in the Art-Nouveau style, with color right from the 70's. Circus-Art-Nouveauish, one could say.

Otherwhise, this is a gorgeous deck, one of my favorite. I suggested Janette fron Tarot Garden to keep them, and she said dhe tried. Here in Canada, it is easily avalaible by the way (Lucky us for that)

felicityk

Bumping this up to ask...

Is there a current source for the de l'Aigle Wirth deck that ships to the US without charging an arm and a leg?

Is there any other deck edition that includes the borders seen on the de l'Aige deck?

Is there a book (preferably in English) that includes Wirth's original drawings of the cards with the borders?

Thanks,
Felicity

Freddie

I use the US Games version and I recieved 'Tarot of The Magicians' printed by Weiser in English and it uses the same cards as in the 1960's Canada produced and Us Games current edition. I also recived Papus 'Tarot of The Bohemiens' and that has cards that look almost like the edition I have. I also recived 'Introduction to the tarot by Wirth and stuat Kaplan' again it uses the Us Games deck.

I cannot find any information on how Wirth felt about the minor arcana, but Levi and Papus could be consulted for that information I guess. His take on the major arcana is great and informative in my opinion.

I like to use this deck with what I call it's kinda twin Medieval Scapini. This way I don't tire of either too badly.

Freddie

Bernice

felicityk said:
......<snip>......

Is there a book (preferably in English) that includes Wirth's original drawings of the cards with the borders?

Thanks,
Felicity
I think Kenji has scans of them on his site - can't find the url at the moment. I'll post it if I find it, unless someone else gets here first.

Bee :)

gregory

..... if you read Japanese :(