Is death always about endings??

jnett

Hi Jnett,

I've posted the other cards in the your reading section if you'd like to have a look :) I'm not able to write them down on here.

^_^.

I left a response on the other post.

Mystica7

Death is more often than not transformation, and for me rarely ever the actual end of something.

Below are the phases I went through in a particular relationship, where the Death card appeared during transition points:

Friendship -- Really liking each other -- Falling in love -- Passion (unfolding with further Deaths coming up in between, since another meaning for this card is intense passion...)

I feel that your relationship is about to be transformed into another state as such.

For the end, I would expect to get something like 2 of Cups RX.

rwcarter

Moderator Note

A reminder of the Forum Rules is in order, specifically:
Respect Our Members

We are a Tarot-focused discussion forum for people of varying ages, nationalities, cultures, spiritualities and Tarot beliefs. Please write in clear English, remember your Netiquette, and read over your messages before posting in order to avoid possible misunderstandings.

Play nice while you're here. We ask that you refrain from discussing political topics: having a worldwide membership, we also have a diverse range of political opinion.

No flaming, baiting, insults, mocking, harassment or solicitation of other members on the forum in posts or images, or via private message. Lack of respect for other members our these rules will result in post removal and/or temporary or permanent suspension of all member privileges.
Folks are welcome to disagree, as long as they do it respectfully. No posts have been removed from this thread yet, but continuing to disrespect other people's opinions will result in posts being edited and/or removed.

rwcarter, co-Moderator of Using Tarot Cards

Thirteen

There are three things Death always means:
1) Something will end.
2) Whatever ends will leave you feeling sad and you will mourn the loss (if only a little). You may get over this quickly. Or it may take a while. Or you may never get over it.
3) Something new will come to take its place. There is no guarantee that this new thing will satisfy you was the old thing did—perhaps it will. Perhaps it will be better than the old thing. All Death says is that it will fill the vacuum.

It's possible that for something romantically to develop something else between you and this person may end. Many romantic relationships require that a friendship end, for example. And that often makes people sad because they fear that if the romance doesn't work, they'll have lost a friend as well.

The reason the card is about change/transformation is because something ending and something new taking its place is the very definition of "change/transformation." But you have to be careful not to assume that this is a caterpillar-into-butterfly change. The caterpillar doesn't "die" so the butterfly can be born. This is your goldfish died and you got a new fish. Something in the present about this relationship is ending. Something new will take the place of that. There will be change.

jenster

For the question you asked it can have very different meanings depending on the relationship you have now. If this is someone with whom you do have a significant relationship, like a solid friendship or a long-standing professional cooperation I could see Death meaning that what you do have may (may!) transform in a romantic relationship.

If you don't have a relationship with this person, if it is someone you don't know very well at all, it could mean there are no romantic feelings or that that development is a remote possibility.

I've drawn the Death for crushes a few times over the years and it only very rarely meant anything other than I've told you. But that is for me and my experience.

When readings brought me down I would often do a one-card draw asking what I could do to help the situation. I still do that.

cherryberry

I have drawn death for how things will go between me and my love interest this evening. ....not looking forward to it....I will let you know how it goes. It may be insightful

Awkward.turtle91

Hi thirteen, I'm honoured to have a response from yourself :).

There are three things Death always means:

1) Something will end.

2) Whatever ends will leave you feeling sad and you will mourn the loss (if only a little). You may get over this quickly. Or it may take a while. Or you may never get over it.

I know something always has to end in life doesn't it?. I'll get back to Sharla in a second also. I'm a little bit sad at present I guess it's because things aren't moving and others might seem to be closer to him (male wise). I hope it doesn't take me a while to get over what ever might end. Because I could do with out that, I like things to be quick and painless.

Something new will come to take its place. There is no guarantee that this new thing will satisfy you was the old thing did—perhaps it will. Perhaps it will be better than the old thing. All Death says is that it will fill the vacuum.

I Like that so perhaps if things don't develop romantically I might get a friendship in place of it or something to that extent.

It's possible that for something romantically to develop something else between you and this person may end. Many romantic relationships require that a friendship end, for example. And that often makes people sad because they fear that if the romance doesn't work, they'll have lost a friend as well.

I like that take on it, about how a friendship needs to end before something can begin, it isn't always all doom and gloom. Yes I know that feeling, unfortunately I've lost them as friends as well which has hurt me like no tomorrow.

The reason the card is about change/transformation is because something ending and something new taking its place is the very definition of "change/transformation." But you have to be careful not to assume that this is a caterpillar-into-butterfly change. The caterpillar doesn't "die" so the butterfly can be born. This is your goldfish died and you got a new fish. Something in the present about this relationship is ending. Something new will take the place of that. There will be change.

So it doesn't have to be all doom and gloom, something can come along and replace it. I like that it's funny you said goldfish it reminds me off this card in my tea leaf set.

I hope maybe it'll be a good change.

Awkward.turtle91

Death is more often than not transformation, and for me rarely ever the actual end of something.

Below are the phases I went through in a particular relationship, where the Death card appeared during transition points:

Hello mystica

I'm going to quickly read over these points now, that's what I was thinking also, however what other people have been saying about the butterfly makes sense also.

Friendship -- Really liking each other -- Falling in love -- Passion (unfolding with further Deaths coming up in between, since another meaning for this card is intense passion...)

I haven't heard of that one before, but I suppose it does make sense that a friendship could transform.

I feel that your relationship is about to be transformed into another state as such.

For the end, I would expect to get something like 2 of Cups RX.

I hope it would do, I don't often get lucky in that department. Yes I suppose I'd expect the two of cups reversed as well for the end.

Awkward.turtle91

Of course the death card is more about endings....it has a multitude of meanings this is probably the deepest card in the deck.

Hello Sharla,

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond to you :).
My fingers are so sore from typing this morning!!

For a start I don't believe in total death when we die...our outer shell dies yes, but the soul lives on and goes into another being when the times right.

So this is like an ending but one that then transforms into a new beginning but only when the time is right.

Yes that's what I've been lead to believe also about the outer shell, every time someone's passed away I've always been told it's not them it's a shell.

I had t really thought about souls going into another before, I assumed that souls/energy/matter always takes it's self on another plane or still lingers behind.

Death happens for a reason the life cycle is complete and everything we have been given in this life to learn has been learnt, so it's then time for death.....for our soul to be able to then evolve and learn new lessons in another form and in another life time.

Theres also lots more but my fingers are hurting from all the typing today lol.

But apply all I've said to the death card in whatever readings you get and you'll see it makes sense.

Oh yes I couldn't agree with you more there, but doesn't everything happen for a reason also.

I will go back and have another look at my reading and compare it to what you've just told me.

for a r'ship it wouldn't necessarily mean an end it could just be theres outdated ways between you both and its time for something new.....this could be together as well as apart.

So basically the old part of the r'ship not working anymore has to die/end in order for a new more stronger connection to be born.

I like that outdated ways, it's more of a friendship at the moment so maybe that's the outdated part. Our habits and the way we talk to each other need to change.

Yes I understand that, it makes sense and doesn't seem as terrifying as death can be.

Awkward.turtle91

For the question you asked it can have very different meanings depending on the relationship you have now. If this is someone with whom you do have a significant relationship, like a solid friendship or a long-standing professional cooperation I could see Death meaning that what you do have may (may!) transform in a romantic relationship.

Hello Jen!

I asked will anything develop romantically, yes I'm starting to notice that theme about the relationship/friendship changing its self.

Thankyou for your use of May in this, it doesn't get my hopes up! (Not saying any one on here has!)

If you don't have a relationship with this person, if it is someone you don't know very well at all, it could mean there are no romantic feelings or that that development is a remote possibility.

I've drawn the Death for crushes a few times over the years and it only very rarely meant anything other than I've told you. But that is for me and my experience.

When readings brought me down I would often do a one-card draw asking what I could do to help the situation. I still do that.

I like that idea that it could be a remote possibility, I have sort of a relationship/friendship with this person, now if it's enough for things to transform one day I don't know.

I like that idea about doing a one card to see what I can do to help the situation.

Thankyou for your input. ^_^