Cary-Yale Visconti Deck: which edition?

Abrac

The fair market value right now seems to be around $100 for a used one, I'm just saying I wouldn't pay that. But I don't really want it that bad. I had one and sold it.

Nineteen of the cards are recreations, fairly well-done, but recreations nevertheless. I don't think anyone's sure exactly how many cards it had originally. It's an effort by US Games to patch together a deck where there isn't one.

The Happy Squirrel

yikes. 19 cards....??
you are right i think abrac. it is their attempt to cobble up a deck together.

i have to say i feel uneasy not knowing which ones are the modern replacement in my mary packard visconti recreation. but i have told myself if it is for a 'working deck' it is ok.

i guess the cary-yale will either be a play deck, or i will remove the 19 cards and make it a reference deck.... I may regret buying this. In which case, it will be back on eBay.....

The Happy Squirrel

I have just been thinking about the prices for this deck vintage. I think a fair price might be around $60 or $70. So, I am wondering, with the prices being around $100, and some asking for more, is this because there is a lot of demand for it? For some reason I would not think that there is great demand for historical deck recreation, because I am thinking collectors would prefer facsimile. Or, is it because this is a facsimile deck, but one which is largely incomplete.

I would love to investigate further if all the truly old cards even belong in the same deck originally......

Hooked on TdM

Is US Games the only version? I have the second edition. I'd love to get my hands on a smaller one that's actually useable for us tiny hands ;)

The Happy Squirrel

I would love to know that too :) So far my search hasn't come up with any other. If someone can confirm that would be good :)

Hooked on TdM

We are probably dreaming, but I hope not!

The Happy Squirrel

Well :) It finally arrived. The Cary-Yale version of 'a' Visconti deck. It is US Games' 1984 edition, their address is Stamford CT, and printed in Switzerland.

I can tell you the deck is heavy. I LIKE :) Maybe because the cards are HUGE or maybe because of the particular card stock. Either way, I really like the hand feel.

The back is plain cream. The borders around the actual facsimiles are greyish white. I suppose this is presented as pieces of plain cards with the copy of the original attached on top of it, the cards as we would have seen them in their current condition.

I wish the back is some other colour, I must say.

The box has fallen apart. But it is 30 years old..... :D

I could have sworn those "staves" are arrows.....? And the 'cups' reminds me very much of the 'cup' communion wine is drank from...... I suppose for the context of that day, that makes good sense.

:)

Sherryl

Does anyone know if the replacement cards are the same in both the 1984 and 1989 editions?
Are they by Scapini?

Thanks

The Happy Squirrel

According to the booklet of this edition (1984, USG), the 19 replacement cards in this deck was done by Scapini. It also said that there are 22 cards that is not found in the Cary-Yale deck. Not sure how that works.... (the other 3 not replaced....?)

Scapini's style here blends better in my eyes than his Devil and Tower in the other Visconti deck ('Visconti Sforza', the one we discussed in the other thread, is that Peirpont Morgan-Bergamo....?). The one one slipping his distinct style is the Sun card.

I would love to know about the 1989 ed. too

Sherryl

Thanks for the information. I never got this deck because Scapini's V-S cards are so horrid. I was afraid the Carey-Yale deck might look like a misbegotten hybrid. Perhaps I need to reconsider.