The Esoteric Tarot

Herodotus

The Esoteric Tarot: Ancient Sources Rediscovered in Hermeticism and Cabalah, by Ronald Decker.

Is anyone familiar with this book? It piqued my interest when I saw it on amazon, but I'm surprised to find no trace of it mentioned here (I admit, I did not go through ALL of the threads..).

I have one other book by this author, which is the companion text to the Medieval Scapini deck called Art and Arcana. I found it to be well-written and informative, and it left me with the notion that Decker knows his occult Tarot and Tarot history pretty thoroughly, despite having the limited space of a companion book to expound upon it.

I'm aware that he's written other books, some of which were collaborative efforts with other experts in the field, and judging by reviews these are all fairly well-received.

So I reiterate, has anyone read this book? Any thoughts?

Thanks,
- Herodotus.

3ill.yazi

I recently read this and enjoyed it very much. I think it lays out in very good detail a lot of historical information that previously has not been examined very much, at least as far as I know. It had me going for most of it, however, I think the author gets a little carried away towards the end concerning the role that hermeticism and the Kabbalah may have had in the creation of the tarot. Just my opinion. Overall, a ton of fascinating historical material, but maybe not conclusions that everyone would agree with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herodotus

I recently read this and enjoyed it very much. I think it lays out in very good detail a lot of historical information that previously has not been examined very much, at least as far as I know. It had me going for most of it, however, I think the author gets a little carried away towards the end concerning the role that hermeticism and the Kabbalah may have had in the creation of the tarot. Just my opinion. Overall, a ton of fascinating historical material, but maybe not conclusions that everyone would agree with.

Hmmm... I don't know if this makes me want the book or not.... I really value historical research, but if he only uses it to propagate "speculative history", I don't know if it's for me.

Then again, all history is speculative to some extent, especially history of the Tarot. And it wouldn't be the first book I've read that provided great information but drew lame-o conclusions from it. I suppose if the information is valuable, then that's all that matters, right?

I don't know, I'll have to sit on this one some more. See, the thing is for me, I've amassed a decently-sized Tarot library, and I'm now hesitant to expand it with fluff, if that makes any sense. I am looking for a serious study of esoteric Tarot, especially in terms of Hermeticism, and the more historically sound research behind it, the better.

I suppose his speculations can't be any more outrageous than the classic ol' Egyptian mystic thing, right?

3ill.yazi

Hmmm... I don't know if this makes me want the book or not.... I really value historical research, but if he only uses it to propagate "speculative history", I don't know if it's for me.

Then again, all history is speculative to some extent, especially history of the Tarot. And it wouldn't be the first book I've read that provided great information but drew lame-o conclusions from it. I suppose if the information is valuable, then that's all that matters, right?

I don't know, I'll have to sit on this one some more. See, the thing is for me, I've amassed a decently-sized Tarot library, and I'm now hesitant to expand it with fluff, if that makes any sense. I am looking for a serious study of esoteric Tarot, especially in terms of Hermeticism, and the more historically sound research behind it, the better.

I suppose his speculations can't be any more outrageous than the classic ol' Egyptian mystic thing, right?

It's nothing as over-the-top as all that. Considering it lays out historical material is not speculative material to an extent that you often don't see, I think it's worth wading through. That said, I actually haven't purchased it myself, having only borrowed it. I'm waiting for the price to go down on eBay a little bit more.

Barleywine

I've minimized the fluff factor somewhat by buying books I'm not entirely sure about for my Kindle instead of in hard copy; that way if it turns out to be marginal, it doesn't take up any space on my bookshelf. If it turns out great and is one I may want to tab for reference use, I can always buy the paper version later.

Herodotus

I've minimized the fluff factor somewhat by buying books I'm not entirely sure about for my Kindle instead of in hard copy; that way if it turns out to be marginal, it doesn't take up any space on my bookshelf. If it turns out great and is one I may want to tab for reference use, I can always buy the paper version later.

Huh. That makes sense. It's almost too easy....

Spiffo

I have a few of Decker's books, including The Esoteric Tarot, and have always found his work authoritative, well researched, and, for the most part, transparent (as in the author being upfront with his prejudices and personal foundations. Decker is a scholar, a historian and a fine writer; that's in (IMO) direct conflict with most contemporary Tarot authors who are anything but scholars, historians, or fine/good/passable writers. I'm not a book snob, well not really, but almost every contemporary tarot book has left me not only disappointed but aghast at the low standards in publishing. Decker is a provocative writer, yet also a thorough and rigorous historian. He presents his thesis well, offers a wealth of support, and, even though not all his conclusions resonate the journey with him has proved most enlightening.

I'd recommend his work.

_R_

I have a few of Decker's books, including The Esoteric Tarot, and have always found his work authoritative, well researched, and, for the most part, transparent (as in the author being upfront with his prejudices and personal foundations. Decker is a scholar, a historian and a fine writer; that's in (IMO) direct conflict with most contemporary Tarot authors who are anything but scholars, historians, or fine/good/passable writers. I'm not a book snob, well not really, but almost every contemporary tarot book has left me not only disappointed but aghast at the low standards in publishing. Decker is a provocative writer, yet also a thorough and rigorous historian. He presents his thesis well, offers a wealth of support, and, even though not all his conclusions resonate the journey with him has proved most enlightening.

I'd recommend his work.

Well said.

Babalon Jones

Reading this now, and enjoying it very much. More so than many books of this type. He manages to make what could be dry material interesting and does not annoy me :laugh: So many books lately have been a disappointment but this one exceeded my expectations.

Only about halfway through but so far, highly recommended. I'm glad I read Spiffo's comment here because it motivated me to get it.