9 of Cups: Wish Granted?

BeyondtheVeil

Beanfeasa

I have always thought the same about this card, we have a folktale here about a girl who was envious of another girls blue eyes, she wished at a wishing well for her eyes, the spirit of the well plucked the blue eyes from the other girls head and presented them to the jealous girl. She got what she wanted.
My favourite depiction of the nine of cups is from Julian de Burghs Celtic Tarot, it depicts exactly this tale.

Wow! That is how I see the Five of Swords. :bugeyed:

Thank you for sharing, Beanfeasa! It is always interesting to hear other's takes on cards. I'm glad that mine resonated with you. I can definitely see how this card could go from 'Wish Fulfilled" to "Be careful what you wish for".

Brightest Blessings!
BeyondtheVeil

BeyondtheVeil

Barleywine

I never encountered the idea of the 9 of Cups as a "wish" card until I came to AT a few years ago. Fulfillment and contentment yes, but not the idea of actively wishing for something and having it granted. I may be wrong, but it seems to stem from the cartomantic idea of the 9 of Hearts as the "wish card."

I'm sure that after you do lots of readings/reading exchanges you will encounter many meanings for the same card. I know that I have. I usually don't get the "Wish Granted" for the 9 of Cups, but I have. Not always, but that doesn't mean I can say that it won't be. So, it is lucky we have these boards with all the many different readers. We can all learn from each other and grow our "knowledge" of what each card means. I have gotten the King of Cups {DruidCraft Deck} for three people in a row. We had 3 different meanings/readings with it. It really just depends. Though using intuition instead of the book meaning gives me open ended meanings. That has been my experience, though others may vary.

I initially wanted to learn cartomantic readings, but didn't find any info on it. So, was drawn to Tarot instead. Now I am sure one could find lots on it. lol

Brightest Blessings!
BeyondtheVeil

Barleywine

I'm sure that after you do lots of readings/reading exchanges you will encounter many meanings for the same card. I know that I have. I usually don't get the "Wish Granted" for the 9 of Cups, but I have. Not always, but that doesn't mean I can say that it won't be. So, it is lucky we have these boards with all the many different readers. We can all learn from each other and grow our "knowledge" of what each card means. I have gotten the King of Cups {DruidCraft Deck} for three people in a row. We had 3 different meanings/readings with it. It really just depends. Though using intuition instead of the book meaning gives me open ended meanings. That has been my experience, though others may vary.

I initially wanted to learn cartomantic readings, but didn't find any info on it. So, was drawn to Tarot instead. Now I am sure one could find lots on it. lol

Brightest Blessings!
BeyondtheVeil

I think my main reason for never encountering it was I used the Thoth deck in readings since the 1970s, and Crowley wasn't long on gratuitously positive expressions of "wish fulfillment."

Grizabella

It is that smaller button beside the quote button. Hover your mouse over it and it will tell you what it is. :heart:

Hope that helps!
BeyondtheVeil

If you want to quote multiple people, then click on the little face button next to the quote button. The quote button will only quote the person you want to direct your comments to but the little face button beside it will quote as many people's posts as what you've clicked that little face for. :)

BeyondtheVeil

Barleywine

I think my main reason for never encountering it was I used the Thoth deck in readings since the 1970s, and Crowley wasn't long on gratuitously positive expressions of "wish fulfillment."

Oh ..that definitely could be it. Those are hard decks to read. I was told by a long time reader that if you could read those...you could read anything! :)

That makes sense! I had always thought it meant 'Wish fulfilled" but personally got... 'be careful what you wish for". :bugeyed: lol Maybe I'll get a wish granted soon? lol

BeyondtheVeil

Grizabella

If you want to quote multiple people, then click on the little face button next to the quote button. The quote button will only quote the person you want to direct your comments to but the little face button beside it will quote as many people's posts as what you've clicked that little face for. :)

My eyes are bad..I couldn't see it was a face. lol I just said "the smaller button beside the quote button". Thanks for letting me know that it is a face! :thumbsup:

Great to "see" you Grizabella!

BeyondtheVeil

Beanfeasa

The little head thing on each post, bottom right, next to the quote button. Click all the ones you want to quote and when you have done, click "reply"..

It is that smaller button beside the quote button. Hover your mouse over it and it will tell you what it is. :heart:

Hope that helps!
BeyondtheVeil

Woohoo! Thanks guys! Got it! I'm using an iPad, no hovering for me 😢

Beanfeasa

Wow! That is how I see the Five of Swords. :bugeyed:

Thank you for sharing, Beanfeasa! It is always interesting to hear other's takes on cards. I'm glad that mine resonated with you. I can definitely see how this card could go from 'Wish Fulfilled" to "Be careful what you wish for".

Brightest Blessings!
BeyondtheVeil

I can see that in the 5 of swords for sure, I only go with the warning if the card is surrounded by negative cards, I don't do reversals
I also only really apply the wish aspect depending on he question. Example, a reading I did the other day, the querant wants to start a family but doesn't want to pull back from her very fast climbing career, I pulled the 9ofcups first, to me this was the wish card in this instance. I didn't feel the need to add the warning, it was the pagan Otherworlds, it depicts a lake with a frog sitting on the bank, I can easily relate this image to a wishing well, never mind the frog 😘

BeyondtheVeil

I can see that in the 5 of swords for sure, I only go with the warning if the card is surrounded by negative cards, I don't do reversals
I also only really apply the wish aspect depending on he question. Example, a reading I did the other day, the querant wants to start a family but doesn't want to pull back from her very fast climbing career, I pulled the 9ofcups first, to me this was the wish card in this instance. I didn't feel the need to add the warning, it was the pagan Otherworlds, it depicts a lake with a frog sitting on the bank, I can easily relate this image to a wishing well, never mind the frog 😘

That is so cool! I do reversals, but I also go on intuition. The cards surrounding it definitely help. I don't always do more than one card..usually three. I sometimes just do one with no reversals, so it's more of intuition then. Sometimes the cards flip to reversed, so then I have to read them that way. :laugh: lol

I love hearing about how everyone relates to their readings and their tarot cards. This site is really full of info and learning. I keep learning all of the time! :)

BeyondtheVeil

BeyondtheVeil

BlueSun

Once I asked the cards: "Will God grant me this wish?" Then a 9 of cups card came up. That is the "wish fulfilled" card. So would it be pretty safe to assume the answer is: Yes, God will grant this wish?

Hello! I'm just wondering if you have an update about the answer for your wish. It may be too early yet to tell, but will hope that you will keep us updated. It is neat to see what the card actually means in different situations.

Brightest Blessings!
BeyondtheVeil