Sharing a deck: Would you?

JMI_Tarot

I just had a query from someone on my Tumblr site asking if I thought it was okay for very close friends to co-own and use the same deck. She was concerned about the cards' energy.

I replied that of course I think it's okay if she and her friend felt comfortable.

But I have to admit I myself have never shared a deck and to be honest, I get a little touchy if someone handles my cards. :eek:

But I wonder if any of you have ever shared a deck with someone and how that went. Or would you just never ever do that? Are there conditions involved?

Would love to hear your feelings.

Grizabella

Anything is possible but I don't think I'd do it unless I was stranded on a desert island and there was only one deck there. It doesn't have anything to do with energies. I just wouldn't want to have to be without a deck available whenever I wanted to use one.

Beanfeasa

I have no problem sharing decks with my son, if he ever asks for one of his own, Ill help him choose one, until then he can continue to play with mine.
A friend, not so much. Friendships can sour, then what. I don't see why they'd have to share, u can get decks for €10.

Denever

It's very unlikely that I would but if I were considering it seriously, the sole question would be the same one I use for lending books that I want back: does this person treat these things the same way I do? Will I get this book back with the spine broken in three places, a lot of dog ears, a torn cover, and splotches of food on some pages? Will I get this deck back with the box torn or the bag dirty, a couple of bent cards, and a couple of sticky ones?

If so, the answer is no. People can do whatever they want with their own books and cards, but not with mine.

Ruby Jewel

I just had a query from someone on my Tumblr site asking if I thought it was okay for very close friends to co-own and use the same deck. She was concerned about the cards' energy.

I replied that of course I think it's okay if she and her friend felt comfortable.

But I have to admit I myself have never shared a deck and to be honest, I get a little touchy if someone handles my cards. :eek:

But I wonder if any of you have ever shared a deck with someone and how that went. Or would you just never ever do that? Are there conditions involved?

Would love to hear your feelings.

Simply, no.

RavenOfSummer

Yes, I would do it, if it were someone I felt I could trust with the cards, and if we had a solid agreement on what "sharing" meant (would you each have it for half the year? etc). There would have to be a good reason of course, since it probably isn't the most convenient of arrangements. But yes, I would do it.

Tanga

No.

Unless as Beanfeasa says - my child was asking and I could then easily (maybe) forgive any damage that might happen to them - until they were ready to have their own.
Or - if a really good friend wanted to borrow them to look through, before they decide on their own purchase/try them out for "feel" etc.

Otherwise - it's a bit like sharing a bible isn't it? It's a personal thing you use daily.
Unless there's a major scarcity issue - why do it? Just go out and buy your own copy.

gregory

I have shared decks with an equally tarot minded dear friend when they were staying at mine or when I was staying with them. I wouldn't share with just anyone, though.

Barleywine

I wouldn't share my personal favorite, every-day decks, but any of those I bought and never used much I would be happy to share with someone I know and trust, and in my own home.

MadeiraDarling

I would, absolutely. I know a lot of people are touchy about people touching their decks and like while I'd be sensitive about people touching my rare or expensive decks, my daily use decks... provided their hands are clean and they treat them respectfully, I actually like having my cards touched, I find that the more people touch it, the more objective the readings I get are. The only people I wouldn't like touching it are people who I dislike or distrust, but a friend, I think sharing a deck would be wonderful