Minor cards that define a deck

Babalon Jones

Riffing off another thread in Deck Creation, are there Minor cards you always look at to define a deck?

Or, on the opposite side, are there certain cards that you just never look at really, or just kind of find boring even when they come up in a reading?

Just curious, as I have been noticing the personality of the minors lately and how much they differ from each other, ie how much or little charisma they have at first and how that changes over time. And also noticing how similar they can be deck to deck, which is another issue.

Tanga

Riffing off another thread in Deck Creation, are there Minor cards you always look at to define a deck?

Or, on the opposite side, are there certain cards that you just never look at really, or just kind of find boring even when they come up in a reading?

OK - to be dumb... what do you mean by "look at to define a deck"?
My gist of this is: what minor arcana give you the "personality" of the deck and maybe tip you towards liking the deck as a whole?...

My minors are : 3 of Cups ("Let's Party!"), 2 of Pentacles ("Flexibility"), 7 of Swords ("The Sneaky Card" or "Evasive Manuovers") and 4 of Wands (The Wedding").

There aren't any cards that I never look at = "boring". Only if the minors are simply suits without any active characters or objects in.

Babalon Jones

I get what you are saying. In that, there are some minors that people tend to be more interested in looking at when deciding if they like a deck Same with Majors, for example Death is often one of those.

None of the cards are boring, I may have said that wrong as every number is infinite. I mean some seem to have more charisma than others, or get more press, I guess?

By the way, your examples sound very RWS oriented. nothing wrong with that, just noticing.

Laura Borealis

I always look at the 3 of swords to see if it's just three swords stuck in a heart, or something more interesting.

Tanga

I get what you are saying. In that, there are some minors that people tend to be more interested in looking at when deciding if they like a deck Same with Majors, for example Death is often one of those.

Yes - so is that what you meant?... I don't quite think so, so please elaborate...?

None of the cards are boring, I may have said that wrong as every number is infinite. I mean some seem to have more charisma than others, or get more press, I guess?

By the way, your examples sound very RWS oriented. nothing wrong with that, just noticing.

Maybe some cards get more press than others...
More charisma - might that depend on your mood on the day you read, and what you're reading them for? i.e. <really silly example> if you're going to ask if your new shoes are going to hurt you. Then this might be the one time when you notice that a minor card has a shoe in the corner of it and be really excited by that - whereas you wouldn't otherwise notice it.

I was "formally" taught on the RWS - so it's my 'default' :)

Tanga

I always look at the 3 of swords to see if it's just three swords stuck in a heart, or something more interesting.

Yes - and that something more interesting can be soooo excitingly interesting...

Babalon Jones

Yup that is what I meant.

As for charisma, maybe that is not the right word either. Just in general, people seem to have stronger definitions for some cards, or more interest in some cards. like Laura mentioned, 3 of swords is one. But lots get mentioned less frequently, say 3 of pentacles for example, people maybe find less compelling. But maybe it does not have to be that way.

i wonder what the "least popular" as in least mentioned, cards are, and I bet it differs RWS or Thoth, but there are probably commonalities.

Tanga

Yup that is what I meant.

As for charisma, maybe that is not the right word either. Just in general, people seem to have stronger definitions for some cards, or more interest in some cards. like Laura mentioned, 3 of swords is one. But lots get mentioned less frequently, say 3 of pentacles for example, people maybe find less compelling. But maybe it does not have to be that way.

Nope. Doesn't have to be that way.
3 of Pentacles: "Knowledge + Spirit = Perfect Manifestation!" - YES! <punches air>
:-D

Babalon Jones

i agree, it does not have to be that way. Glad you see it that way too!

Zephyros

I'm generally drawn to Golden Dawn/Thoth-type decks, so I check if the things that are important to me are there. I actually look forward to seeing the sword-pierced heart (or, obviously, white flower), because it tells me the deck has the elements I generally look for.

I do like to see innovation, however, as in new things done with the old elements. Apart from the Three of Swords I like to look at the Aces (as you well know, very much can be done with the "same old" flaming wand :) ), all the Discs (my favorite suit), and maybe a few others I can't recall.