Shady scowls, mouthy dad, I need thicker skin

Snowhunter

I was at a festival today and passed by a shop advertising Tarot readings for $10. I walked in not intending to get a reading but to see if they had any decks I can flip through, browse whatever bits and ends they had, or perhaps talk shop. It turned out to be this shady looking space with a couple of dirty, old chairs in the front to serve as the waiting area, and all the way in the dimly-lit back was the reading area.

I took a few steps in past the door and was greeted by scowls from the two women in the back. I was still in the waiting area so I don't know what their deal was but they kept staring and making me feel uncomfortable so I turned around to walk out. Right by the door a couple of tweens looked like they were about to go in but their dad berated them and urged them to keep walking along. We were going in the same direction so I heard him going on about "...giving them your money so they can make stuff up" and just generally saying condescending things.

Now, I'm quite new at Tarot but I was very offended by what he said and took it personally (no, I didn't speak up because I'm a wuss). There's a lot more work and study that goes into this and I'm certainly not making things up. I was also irritated at the Tarot reader for being unfriendly, and looking shady. I understand that you get what you pay for but from what I've gathered from this community there's a sense of pride in what we do.
Anyway, I guess I'm just venting and sharing my first negative Tarot experience in the real world.

Laura Borealis

That sounds like an uncomfortable situation all around. :(

Chrystella

I'm sorry you had such an unpleasant experience, Snowhunter. Unfortunately, there are a lot of negative stereotypes about tarot readers and too many people who perpetuate them. Thankfully, there are also a lot of wonderful people in tarot communities too.

Darkmage

Agreeing with the others that that sounded like a bad situation.

Trust your gut--if something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. One would think the shop would be a bit more professional, really. A dirty shop and ill-mannered readers? They don't need my money IMO.

As for the dad and kids, he was just an ass. I actually like to read for people like that because 9 times out of 10, I wind up scaring the hell out of them. :cool2: 'HOW DID YOU KNOW THAT?!?!' I just shrug and point to the table. Then I tell them that I don't know how they work, they just do, so thanks for your time and $20. People like that, though, just ignore them and move on. He wasn't making a value judgment about you personally.

3ill.yazi

I do have to say though that it sounds like the kind of shop that probably doesn't do a lot to dispel the attitudes of people like that dad. Unless they have become so negative from those attitudes. Chicken and egg.

Lil Red

I hesitate to say that I agree a bit with the dad. It just that I've been scam by many tarot readers that I no longer get my reading done face to face or places that look to shady.

It's also pretty hard to find someone who is sincere with their readings.

That's the reason why I like this forum. Everyone in here is so sincere and wonderful. You learn a lot and start to realize that there are people who make the tarot community look bad.

Even so, there are wonderful people out there who contains a wealth of information and people who reads brilliantly.

And I do hope that your uncomfortable experience does not ruin the image that there are sincere readers out there. :heart:

Snowhunter

I've had just one psychic reading in my life from a woman who read with Tarot as well, and I had a lovely experience with her so I'm not completely put off. I'll just remember this encounter for what not to do!

tarotbear

I was at a festival today and passed by a shop advertising Tarot readings for $10. I walked in not intending to get a reading but to see if they had any decks I can flip through, browse whatever bits and ends they had, or perhaps talk shop. It turned out to be this shady looking space with a couple of dirty, old chairs in the front to serve as the waiting area, and all the way in the dimly-lit back was the reading area.

I took a few steps in past the door and was greeted by scowls from the two women in the back. I was still in the waiting area so I don't know what their deal was but they kept staring and making me feel uncomfortable so I turned around to walk out.

Not sure where in the world you are, but in some places STARING at people is considered a normal thing. Next time - STARE BACK! It may have been their way of intimidating the riff-raff, but offering a service and then sloughing off potential customers is not a good business tactic.

As a side note: once I was at a quasi psychic fair/mineral show with a friend and we were looking over some 'wares' and something pushed my hand away! I called my friend over and said 'watch this' and someone was definitely pushing my hand away as if to say 'go away, male person!' So - we both stood there and deliberately touched everything on the table!

As far as the father and teens passing by - ignore him. If you were to hear the thoughts of every person you passed in a day you'd be frightened.

Too bad this was such a turning-off experience for you.

Snowhunter

I'm in Missouri, US. In my culture staring is considered rude and can be taken as a challenge, so if this was a cultural thing where it's normal for them to do it then this was a bad combination.

Haha! That sounds like something I'd do too, tarotbear. I also deliberately avoid moving when people sidle up next to me at a store and don't excuse themselves. That'll teach them!

FLizarraga

Around here, ALL of the readers I have seen in person are of the "there's a curse on you and it will cost you $500 to remove it" variety. So the dad has a point, unfortunate as it may seem. Don't take it personally.

What I find bizarre is the staring part. Perhaps is was their uncouth way of waiting for you to approach them, but it's still strange.