Edging Question

Leo77

I was just wondering if edging is generally safe (after fully drying) with regard to storing decks in silk bags. I wouldn't want ink all over the inside of the bag. Does it bleed, even a little, after the fact?

AJ

the ones I use are Tsukineko Brilliance (I think on MoonGypsy's recommendation)
They are pigment ink which in my mind is the equivalent of permanent paint. Don't buy any ink pads that say washable ink on them.

I expect the pimped my rider thread has lots of choices

Leo77

the ones I use are Tsukineko Brilliance (I think on MoonGypsy's recommendation)
They are pigment ink which in my mind is the equivalent of permanent paint. Don't buy any ink pads that say washable ink on them.

I expect the pimped my rider thread has lots of choices

I watched the divinemuses youtube video. She uses Distress Ink. Do you prefer the Tsukineko? She said the oils from your fingers eventually fade it but she didn't say what happens if you put it into a bag.

FLizarraga

I have been edging for a while with everything from Tsukineko Brilliance pads to Krylon leafing pens to Tim Holtz markers to Sharpies. I always let the cards dry overnight before storing them back, and they have never bled on their bags, ever.

tarotbear

I have been edging for a while with everything from Tsukineko Brilliance pads to Krylon leafing pens to Tim Holtz markers to Sharpies. I always let the cards dry overnight before storing them back, and they have never bled on their bags, ever.

I have never done any of this - but in my mind (here we go!) since you have to apply the 'pigment' to the edge - the cut edge of the card absorbs differently than drawing something on the face , so I am thinking once you do the deck it needs to dry for a couple of days due to moisture in the air, etc. Then you should take the edges and wipe them across a clean cloth to remove any excess pigment - before you put them away. This would not be done with gilding ... ?

Just my two-and-a-half cents.

FLizarraga

I have never done any of this - but in my mind (here we go!) since you have to apply the 'pigment' to the edge - the cut edge of the card absorbs differently than drawing something on the face , so I am thinking once you do the deck it needs to dry for a couple of days due to moisture in the air, etc. Then you should take the edges and wipe them across a clean cloth to remove any excess pigment - before you put them away. This would not be done with gilding ... ?

Just my two-and-a-half cents.

When gilding, that is, edging with metallic inks, the edges --especially if trimmed-- do absorb the pigment, but the face of the cards doesn't, especially if laminated. So yes, it's better to wipe them delicately before and after you let them dry.

When using other pigments, however, that's not necessary at all.

It would be good if Shadowdancer or MoonGypsy chimed in, since those girls have all of these things down to a science... :)

Leo77

Thanks!

Leo77

When gilding, that is, edging with metallic inks, the edges --especially if trimmed-- do absorb the pigment, but the face of the cards doesn't, especially if laminated. So yes, it's better to wipe them delicately before and after you let them dry.

When using other pigments, however, that's not necessary at all.

It would be good if Shadowdancer or MoonGypsy chimed in, since those girls have all of these things down to a science... :)

I was thinking about edging a deck of Madame Endora's Fortune Cards in purple or black Distress Ink. It's a cheap deck, frankly the bag it's in is worth more than the deck. I just thought it might be a fun project, but I didn't want to ruin the bag.

Laura Borealis

Here's an idea: go ahead and edge the deck, but put it in a different bag, one you don't care about, until you see if the ink rubs off.

Or edge a cheap playing card deck and do the same. :)

FLizarraga

I was thinking about edging a deck of Madame Endora's Fortune Cards in purple or black Distress Ink. It's a cheap deck, frankly the bag it's in is worth more than the deck. I just thought it might be a fun project, but I didn't want to ruin the bag.

The Distress line is designed to dry almost instantaneously, so it doesn't even transfer to your fingers, or just barely. I let it dry overnight anyway just to be on the safe side, but I'm positive it won't be a problem.