Significator

Glenn56

Hi, I'm new here and fairly new to Tarot. I've owned several decks for several years, but honestly never did much with them other than shuffle through them once in awhile, or perhaps just draw a single card and meditate on its possible message. Lately I've felt that I want to get into it in more depth, and have been reading Rachel Pollack's "78 Degrees," and also reading other material online.

I read what Ms. Pollack had to say about choosing a significator card for a Celtic Cross spread. As a man in his late 50s, she suggests that I choose one of the king cards for that purpose, so I looked at the four, trying to decide which one fit best with what I know and feel about myself. Perhaps I should also mention that I was using the Golden Tarot by Kat Black, which is my favorite deck.

The problem came up when I couldn't decide between the King of Cups and the King of Swords. Honestly, there are aspects of both cards that fit my personality. So my question is, how does one decide on a single card as a significator when it seems that no one card is a perfect fit?

Thanks in advance.

Grizabella

Welcome to AT. :)

I'm not sure how many folks will agree with the method I use when I want to choose a significator but it works well for me. I let the deck choose. Although it's customary for a significator to be a court card, in my case, it can be any card. I shuffle the deck and then as I put the cards into their positions, the first position is the significator and whatever card falls there is the significator.

All of us are parts of all the court cards. You can be two courts one day and another court the next day. All depends. Some people don't use significators at all.

VGimlet

I think the significator can change, depending on mood, and maybe even reading. Mostly, I am the queen of wands, but sometimes I am one of the other queens. Or even something else.

However, I rarely use significators.

nisaba

I find significators don't add much to a reading. I never use them.

There have been cards, though, that I've identified with more than the rest of the deck at different times in my life. During a bad patch in the early 1980s it was the Nine Swords. At different times, it has been things like the Queen Swords, the Hermit, the Knight Cups, the Ace Wands, The King Pentacles, the Hanged Man, the Queen Pentacles, the World, the Three Cups. At the moment it seems to be Justice.

They all have seemed very like me at different stages of my life (I am Very Old).

Farzon

I agree with nisaba. Significators will only take out a card from the deck without adding much to the reading.

It's different if you use the Opening of the Key, a Golden Dawn technique. This one requires a significator (although it is possible to do even this one without, as Paul Hughes Barlow demonstrates in Tarot and the Magus).

You can also use the astrological attributions to choose a court card (I also have to look that up honestly). Depending on the tradition you follow, there are difficulties about the age of Knights and Kings.

If you want to be on the safe side: do what feels right for you.

Glenn56

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm kind of leaning this way: I can choose a significator in my mind (and that card could change depending on how I'm feeling on a particular day), but maybe not remove it from the deck because, as some have said, that certainly could affect the reading by not having that card available. I like the fact that the Tarot is adaptable, and no one answer fits all. Thanks again!

Farzon

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm kind of leaning this way: I can choose a significator in my mind (and that card could change depending on how I'm feeling on a particular day), but maybe not remove it from the deck because, as some have said, that certainly could affect the reading by not having that card available. I like the fact that the Tarot is adaptable, and no one answer fits all. Thanks again!
I know which card corresponds with my date of birth. When I need a significator for me, I choose this card. And if it turns up in a reading there is a special "link" to this card and position. If you do as described, maybe you will have a similar experience? Let us now how it works out for you! šŸ˜€

headincloud

Hi welcome to AT :) I agree with Nisaba and Farzon, I haven't read 78 degrees so you may have to excuse my ignorance but to my understanding when we mentally set our intention to do a reading for someone or for ourselves then that in itself adequately signifies the person and topic under scrutiny but each to their own.

I do however find the equivalent of a significator will come through a reading in the majority of cases, for example if we're reading about a relationship the 2C will appear, I don't have much reading experience but think many absolute beginners make the mistake of reading the keywords and assuming love must automatically be in the picture whilst simultaneously disregarding the other cards missing the fact it's only a significator.

Someone enquiring about a job they've been offered may get the wish card in the position of overview but not because it will turn out to be their dream job but because their wish is to be in employment and the spread is related to that.

Farzon

Hi welcome to AT :) I agree with Nisaba and Farzon, I haven't read 78 degrees so you may have to excuse my ignorance but to my understanding when we mentally set our intention to do a reading for someone or for ourselves then that in itself adequately signifies the person and topic under scrutiny but each to their own.

I do however find the equivalent of a significator will come through a reading in the majority of cases, for example if we're reading about a relationship the 2C will appear, I don't have much reading experience but think many absolute beginners make the mistake of reading the keywords and assuming love must automatically be in the picture whilst simultaneously disregarding the other cards missing the fact it's only a significator.

Someone enquiring about a job they've been offered may get the wish card in the position of overview but not because it will turn out to be their dream job but because their wish is to be in employment and the spread is related to that.
That's a very good point!
Most spreads provide a position that describes the nature of the question - for example the center of the Celtic Cross. If we choose to use a significator instead and read the covering two cards simply as present situation we dismiss the possibility of the Tarot to show us new insights into our own perception of the situation - which is in my eyes more important than a glimpse of the future.

If we allow the center to remain ambiguous and see it as present and significator at the same time, we have the chance to learn something about ourselves. Because then it can show you aspects that you were not aware of - aspects you would not take into account when consciously choosing a significator.

Glenn56

I very much appreciate the responses. I doubt there is a right or wrong way, but for my own personal preference, I'm moving away from the idea of a significator card. I'm of the same mind as Hiddencloud that mentally setting our intention before a reading should be adequate.