Fairytale Tarot (MRP) -- King of Wands

Master_Margarita

The story chosen to illustrate this card is The Elfin Hill, a Hans Christian Andersen tale that can be found here.

As with so many of the tales chosen for the Fairytale Tarot, I had never read this story before beginning the study of my deck. Because this is a Hans Christian Andersen tale, although it may be based on an old story, it is a coherent narrative, and it is full of charming details, like the Goblin King of Norway's grand entrance into the tale
impressively crowned with sparkling icicles and polished fir cones, muffled in his bearskin coat, and wearing his sledge boots.
The basic story is that the Elfin King throws a big party to which he invites all manner of magical creatures, apparently with the notion of marrying one or more of his daughters off. His palace is inside the Elfin Hill (sort of like Aladdin's Cave as I picture it). I like to think of the Elfin Hill being the destination of the Fairy Hunt (see the Eight of Wands for this tale). The Goblin King of Norway brings his two sons, apparently to marry them off, but he steals the show and selects the youngest daughter because her main talent is that of telling stories (they can all dance, but the Goblin King is not impressed). Meanwhile, his sons have lost interest in the entire proceeding.

This card typically signifies someone who is energetic, showy, and charismatic. The old Goblin King is all that, but there's also a suggestion that it may all be a glamour (in the old sense--that of illusion).

:heart: M_M~