"Will Read Tarot For Food" ...

Nevada

Well I hope if they're really hungry, they get some bites. :p

I thought canned goods too -- such as someone with a family to feed who needed to fill the pantry.

I've noticed that in tough times the barter always returns as a natural economic function. Maybe that's how we're supposed to operate all the time. (Whatever "supposed to" means.)

The Second Life readings idea intrigues me -- not as a money making idea, but as an experiential one. I have never visited there, never wanted to add the software onto my clunky old computer (if it would even work), but I'm intrigue by the whole idea -- and a little concerned that if I ever did try it I'd get addicted. Me and my fantasy life are very close friends. :laugh:

celticnoodle

you know, come to think of it, I recall a psychic reader in a state I lived in, use to offer psychic readings for barter. she'd have people come and weed her garden or help her plant things and possibly mow her grass and such. I'd forgotten that till now!

I never bartered with her in that sense. She never took payment, and with me she'd have me donate whatever I felt the reading was worth to a nursing home near her. I do the same thing with people who are on a tight budget, and would like a reading but have no extra monies for such extravagances. I'd barter that way by having them either make a monetary donation to some place or donate their time volunteering somewhere.

so, yeah, it can work out well, and I'm doing readings for barter--just not in the same way as this reader.

Sophie

I've read tarot for honey, wine, vegetables, fruit and some home-raised chickens. Oh, and for face cream, which I didn't eat of course :D. Some people aren't into barter, but as someone said, we all need to eat, and good fresh produce is worth at least a good tarot reading.

Not sure about the restaurant, though - it would be fine if quiet, but otherwise, I can imagine it to be a rather off-putting experience for querent and reader - not to mention the risk of getting Hollandaise all over your cards...

Grizabella

Hey, I'd seriously read for food! Nothing wrong with that! If you want to bring me some groceries or give me a gift certificate to a grocery store (they really have those at Safeway here), I'd take it in a hot second. I've gone deer hunting, bass fishing, bartered for rabbit (ewwwww!!! but the kids were hungry) and all kinds of things when my first kids were young. You do what you have to do and you learn to roll up your pride and stick it in your pocket sometimes.

I didn't shoot a deer but I tried so hard that someone got a deer for me. Trouble was, they hauled it over to me and said I had to cut it up myself. :bugeyed: Thank the heavens they skinned and dressed it for me at least!

To anyone who doesn't believe in killing and eating stuff, try seeing your kids cry because they're hungry but you don't have any money and you'll see what you'll do to fill their tummies. ;)

Mateo06

I see nothing wrong with the add. I really don't find it funny either. Tough times call for tough measures. If the person isn't broke, then it's a way to offer people on tough times to get a little insight without feeling like they broke their wallet or took a hand out. I think its very karmidic (I don't think this is even a word, but you get the point), it helps build karma points for when you are on tough times.

Gutsy as it may be I must give the person kudos!

starrystarrynight

My take was that the person would accept a gift card from a restaurant, or something like that (sometimes people have access to gift cards at a reduced rate, which then adds value to the price of the reading and makes it more attractively priced in the long run.)

And I think of it this way. The ad has caused a lot of buzz here, and that is the point of a good ad. I applaud the person who posted it and wish him/her good luck with it!

I have bartered for many years--always with values above and beyond what I would have paid for the product or service.

Nevada

Fudugazi said:
Some people aren't into barter, but as someone said, we all need to eat, and good fresh produce is worth at least a good tarot reading.
My mom's family survived the Great Depression by grace of the barter system. Her father was an expert at it. :)

souljourney

I certainly find it gutsy. Like I said I am willing to barter for my professional services. A lot of people don't want to... if I could find a dentist.

tarotlyn

...I really think this person placed this ad exactly like she did MOSTLY to
attract attention to the fact that she is a reader and is available...
for $50 an hour (at the end of her ad)...

I think she used the "Will read for Food" idea to get "attention" to her ad...

...also it could be a way for her to get into the MANY resturants that are
in her area of "San Francisco"...tons of resturants are there and you could get
famous at some of those places...maybe it would only take "one" resturant to
get famous in San Francisco...lots of tourists trade there too that could go
for a $50 an hour reading easily...

...just some further thoughts, since I left out her area...and am telling it now,
as an after thought...as the ad makes more sense when you understand the
area she is in.

:):heart:tarotlyn

Sophie

souljourney said:
Iif I could find a dentist.
Find one going through marital or romantic problems... they might bite :D

It's actually quite a nice thing to do - exchanging readings for other services, like massage or a haircut. Food is more vital, but those extras can make a difference to the quality of your life during difficult moments. And even during good moments! There is no rule that barter should only happen during a recession!