"What is Tarot?" for Hindus

Francesca

Recently I have found myself faced with the "What is Tarot?" question. Once from a kid of about 10 who I was not going to read for anyway.

But how would you answer the question for people from India who are Hindu? I am reading at a party this weekend and I will probably be asked this. I did a reading for the couple who hired me and they were familiar with divination but not Tarot cards.

ideas?

Thanks,
Francesca

ThunderWolf

I have to say I'm not sure what you're wanting to know. I mean I don't understand why you would describe them differently to Hindu's than to anyone else who doesn't know what they are.

gregory

Me too - I would just call tarot "another form of divination" - since you say they know about divination.

Zephyros

Yes that's true. Unless they are very religious and see nothing except in terms of their own beliefs (which they probably don't) you don't have to use their own words to explain it. In fact, that would be kind of talking down to them, like saying to every Christian that Tarot comes only from Jesus. It may or may not, but that's for them to find out.

If you're talking theoretically about how Hinduism fits in with Tarot, I don't know enough about it to say, but I'd imagine it doesn't, not really. Tarot is always a part yet apart from religions, even though the images have strong Christian backgrounds.

Francesca

The reason I indicated that they are Hindus is because Tarot is rooted in what is termed Western thought and Hindu in what is termed Eastern.

A Christian (from the US anyway, and I bet most of western Europe) will likely be familiar with the basic (very basic) ideas of Tarot through books, movies, and other aspects of the culture. Tarot decks are in regular ole bookstores in the US, and the opportunity to explore them is as common as a Barnes & Noble.

But I have feeling these things are not so true in India. So I am looking for ideas and help in forming a basic, informative explanation.

I think I am going to start with something like; A system of divination where you ask a question or talk about a concern and the cards give an answer.

Any other ideas?

angelika

People have been reading 'things' , whatever they are, for ever. I am sure they will grasp the idea of a system of symbols on cards used to help interpret the future.

AJ

we have many many readers here from India, I'd think it is pretty acceptable and accessible to the citizens there in the larger cities anyway. I hope some of them will chime in.

Dain

I haven't met any Hindu tarot readers but all people from India I've met are familiar with one or more forms of divination and, they tell me, Hindu astrology is traditionally very important. I don't think they'll have any trouble understanding tarot, although a "neutral" tarot might be a good idea. That is to say, a tarot deck with no obvious religious symbolism from one particular religion.

Girl Archer

Hi people! :)

I am a Hindu tarot reader (okay no, student) from India, and I don't see why anybody should have any hesitation. Actually Indians are just as curious about Tarot, as they are about I-ching or any "other" form of divination. To be honest, most Indians are majorly curious about their future, and love having their fortunes told. Which would sadly explain why all the charlatans, "babas" are such a hit. I am not saying there are no genuine fortune tellers, maybe there are.. I am just not aware of them. But you are right, Indians in the bigger cities are aware of the tarot, in the rural side, maybe it is numerology and kundali (horoscope) matching they are more aware of.

You don't have to project it as something "Western" if you think it might put your Indian sitters off. You can just tell them it is another form of divination, and give them bits and pieces about the origin (I am not suggesting you deceive them, just tell them enough to keep the mystery alive ;) ) and you could add that there is an Indian tarot deck too, if you have that, just to let them know that although the Tarot does have christian origins, it is universally applicable. Oh, I am sure every Indian believes in God/Higher Power/Universe. So, basically what you are doing while reading is really meditating and putting your query OUT THERE, and letting the energies and the cards do the talking with their images, which you will interpret of course. That is what I tell my sitters. so, really what you are doing is kind of like meditating and introspection for an answer, albeit in a much mysterious, colorful and fun manner, that dates back to the 14th century probably (I could be wrong, I don't have a very strong grip on History of the Tarot)

As for worrying about Eastern and Western concepts, actually I find the whole Fool's Journey akin to the Eastern concept of achieving moksha, which could be shown in the World. It speaks of the four stages of Hinduism in a wider context, Brahmacharya (where the seeker goes off in pursuit of knowledge and thus the Fool begins his journey), Grihasthashrama (the seeker settles down and pays his dues in terms of material societal obligations like marriage, raising a family etc), Vanaprasthashrama (he exits the previous stage, and starts living like a Hermit), Sanyasa (he leaves everything behind in pursuit of a Higher Truth) and then finally achieves enlightenment, post Judgment in the World. at least that is my way of looking at stuff. If this is too complicated, one Eastern concept everybody is familiar with is Karma. Karma is totally represented in the Wheel of Fortune. What goes around, comes around. Like this, I am pretty sure several other correlations may come up if you look real close at the cards and try figuring out Eastern connections, but honestly I don't think it would bother the sitters that much.

Also, Tarot does not clash with our religious beliefs at all, just saying. Even if you were to show them the Death card, standard RWS which shows a person in papal attire kneeling before Death, who sits on his gleaming white horse, they might actually be interested in the background of the card and may not consider any card offensive unless you are reading with some erotic deck or deck that has got lots of nudity in it, which might offend them. even so, I think a good many Indians are okay with the sexuality in the tarot, so long as you explain it to them in the right way. You would have an interesting experience too, if they were able to bring in some additional astrological attribution to the cards, and that way you can explore two different systems together, and meld the two and give them a reading.

It is bound to be fun :) Just go along with it, don't treat your Indian sitters any different from the rest (except unless, like previously mentioned..you read with some risque deck) because we all share the same concerns. Love, Work, Money, Family etc...

Just a tip: You could tell them the hierophant (if it pops up) is kind of a stand-in for our "guru" or God, apart from it depicting organized religion, rules and regulations, tried and tested etc... I am sure there are loads of interesting tidbits that you already know, anyway I just thought of sharing this :)

Carla

Recently I have found myself faced with the "What is Tarot?" question. Once from a kid of about 10 who I was not going to read for anyway.

But how would you answer the question for people from India who are Hindu? I am reading at a party this weekend and I will probably be asked this. I did a reading for the couple who hired me and they were familiar with divination but not Tarot cards.

ideas?

Thanks,
Francesca

I don't see why you'd have to do any explanations at all. It's just a form of divination. I would just give them the reading without doing any tarot teaching. I think tarot teaching/card explanation is a bad habit when reading for clients anyway. They don't want to know the whole history of the Hierophant. They want to know how to deal with the neighbor who won't trim the tree that's overhanging their property line...if you see what I mean.

If anyone asked, I'd just say, 'Tarot is a divination tool that I can use to help you find answers or see new ways of looking at things. Shall I read the cards for you?'