Lumina Tarot

Good.juju

I am curious know if anyone else noticed that their Lumina deck came with two cards "out of place". I use that The term out of place loosely considering there is no right or wrong Tarot. I noticed that Strength and Justice are swapped not only in place but even the actual numbers on the cards. Justice is 8 rather then 11 and Strength is 11 rather then 8. Then all the suits but one have the court cards in the normal order of Maiden, Knight, Queen, King. The last suit of the deck, Pentacles, goes Maiden, Queen, Knight, King. Anyone have any input or insight on why the deck is like this?

The misorder of the court cards seems accidental but the swapping of the order of the Major Arcana doesn't seem like it'd be a mistake too me. It doesn't follow the order of the Fool's Story then.

b849c75d69b837eff21337d3cb7a5e20.jpg

CherryNukaCola

Pre-RWS decks traditionally had Justice at 8 and Strength at 11. Some modern decks still use that numbering. I don't believe Waite was ever very forthcoming about why he decided to swap them.

Can't illuminate with why the Pentacle courts would be swapped, though. Sorry.

Good.juju

Thank you for the information! I'll have to look into it more I never knew that.

delinfrey

RWS actually did the "swapping" as originally in the GR tradition (and still in Thoth based decks) Justice is VIII.

I will receive my Lumina in a couple of days to see about the Pentacle courts.

Good.juju

RWS actually did the "swapping" as originally in the GR tradition (and still in Thoth based decks) Justice is VIII.

I will receive my Lumina in a couple of days to see about the Pentacle courts.

You should keep me posted on that. I'm interested to know. [emoji851]

Citrin

The last suit of the deck, Pentacles, goes Maiden, Queen, Knight, King. Anyone have any input or insight on why the deck is like this?

Do you mean that the guidebook put them in that order or that they came in that order when you opened it up?
I think it's just a mistake, the guidebook (which I personally do not like at all) has quite a few typos I've noticed. I think two of the majors have the same guiding sentence at the top lol. But I have the first edition so maybe she has fixed this with the second...

Good.juju

Do you mean that the guidebook put them in that order or that they came in that order when you opened it up?

I think it's just a mistake, the guidebook (which I personally do not like at all) has quite a few typos I've noticed. I think two of the majors have the same guiding sentence at the top lol. But I have the first edition so maybe she has fixed this with the second...

It's only in the that order in the deck not the guidebook which has be believing it was just a mistake as well. I don't have the first version Lumina I have the second. But I love the guidebook I personally feel like it's the best one I've ever seen that is included with the deck. I think is make everything easy to understand.

Citrin

Oh yeah, then it's just a random mistake... :)

To me the guidebook feels so separated from the deck imagery itself. Nowhere does it mention WHY the King of Pentacles sits next to a bear, or how the other animals (bees, dragonflies etc) are connected to each card. It's a nice book for the tarot (RWS system) overall, but for the particular imagery of the Lumina it's pointless to me.

Good.juju

Oh yeah, then it's just a random mistake... :)

To me the guidebook feels so separated from the deck imagery itself. Nowhere does it mention WHY the King of Pentacles sits next to a bear, or how the other animals (bees, dragonflies etc) are connected to each card. It's a nice book for the tarot (RWS system) overall, but for the particular imagery of the Lumina it's pointless to me.

It mentions in the first part of the book under the suits and element section the each suit has a symbolic animal. Wands are fox, cups are serpent, swords are hawks, and pentacles are bear. I can't recall if it was on her website that I read it but I'm fairly certain each animal she chose is tied in with the element of the card. I think she leaves most things up to you to think about and decide yourself on what they mean because that's what Tarot reading is really all about, trusting your inner guide.

Citrin

It mentions in the first part of the book under the suits and element section the each suit has a symbolic animal. Wands are fox, cups are serpent, swords are hawks, and pentacles are bear. I can't recall if it was on her website that I read it but I'm fairly certain each animal she chose is tied in with the element of the card. I think she leaves most things up to you to think about and decide yourself on what they mean because that's what Tarot reading is really all about, trusting your inner guide.

Yes, but I want more lol.

I honestly think it's because Lauren wrote the book and someone else created the artwork, and between them communication seems to have been lacking. As is the case with quite a few decks out there. I prefer to have the artist and designer be the same person (Danielle Noel for example), but it is what it is and I still love the Lumina deck. :)