"You Read Tarot? OOoo DO ME, DO ME!!"

HarleyQuinnX

Even though I don't charge for readings, I still wouldn't do readings in public. Especially around drunk people. Depending on how drunk they are, you can always point at a bush and go, "You must first get permission from the Plant King" and watch in amusement as they kneel and worship a bush until they pass out or get bored.

Anyways, I had a very similar situation in which I was a friend's birthday party about a week ago, and her cousin was playing a video game in with some nice music. One of the songs had a part about "I know and I see all / I've got your numbers / Right here in my tarot cards". Keep in mind that we are 19-20, so no one there was drunk ('cept maybe her mom... <_<). Someone busted out with "Hey Robin! You should get your fortune read for your birthday!" My best friend at the time happened to point to me... And yes, much like Alissa did, I shot the death look at him.

It happened that I had bought myself a deck on the way over to her house, so I couldn't honestly say that I didn't have my deck on me. I honestly couldn't get some of the people to leave me alone. And me being 19, I don't have a business card, so I couldn't act like I was a professional and charge. So for about the next two hours, I just kept politely refusing, and trying to laugh until everyone went away. I guess with the influence of alcohol, most people wouldn't have it as lucky as I did. :)

Sheri

Not too many people know I am into Tarot, so I don't think I would be put in that situation (the only person I hang out with socially that knows also is into Tarot so she would leave herself open too). I keep it very private, because I can't gauge what someone's reaction would be ~ best case they might want a reading, worst case they think I need to be "saved".

However, once I was put into an awkward position. My ex sister-in-law, ex cousin-in-law and ex niece-in-law were passing through this part of the country and stopped by to visit my son. They are very cool people (not at all like my ex >) ), so it was ok with me. I was showing them around the house (we were talking about eBay - they had never done and 80 percent of my house contents are from eBay auctions). At that time I kept my cards in a small chest on a cabinet in the living room. They spotted it and it came out that I was into Tarot. They thought it was cool but then asked for readings. I was very uncomfortable because I had to use the book to look things up (I hadn't been into it for that long), and of course the cousin-in-law had to ask what I have since learned is an inappropriate question ~ she wanted to know if she was going to live long enough to see her kids grown up! I told her I didn't know enough yet to help with a question like that. I was able to read enough that both were impressed, and no one thought anymore about it.

Afterward, I moved my Tarot out of the living room into my office so I wouldn't be put in that position again by visitors to the house.

I think if I was ever in the position that Alissa was describing, I would say I didn't have the cards with me (even if I did). I think the universe could forgive a little white lie in order to protect myself and my cards. I wouldn't have a problem answering any curious questions, but I certainly don't feel comfortable enough to do a "live" reading for someone ~ especially one in public.

valeria :)

ravenest

Yep, hand out cards I reckon. cards detailing your services, that puts the onus back on the person to do something, to follow it up, to get something if they really want it, not just because you just happen to be there or convenient.

Moonbow

Lark.. you are so funny.

I don't read for many people but I had an occasion recently where I was asked to do a reading and then realised that the person I was reading for wanted to invite her friend to listen in. I didn't like that at all and told her... there was no problem.

Public readings aren't that popular where I live so I can't see me coming up against this yet. But I'm taking it all in, and I love Lark's response. :D

Chronata

LOL! Oh this thread is SOOOO true!
I hear that phrase "do me!" a lot...
and I always say..."what...right here in public? Isn't that illeagal?" :D

If I don't want to do a reading...I will usually just say something like, "I don't have my cards" (which of course is a lie...I ALWAYS have cards...or I can read thier future with anything conviently available!)

or I say..."my energy level is too low (or not right) at this moment, and the reading will suffer".
I give them a card, tell them to give me a call and set something up.

I even have a business card with the types of readings (and prices!) on the back!

I know it's a lot harder with palm readings...because the excuse of not having your tools is nonexistant!:)

Actually...to tell the truth, most of the time I love reading in bars!

I often tell them, as I am pulling a card or two that "I do this for a living, you know...what do you have to give me?"

I often say it in a kind of joking manor....but after the reading, I usually get at least $5...and more often a twenty...if they have had a few drinks!

WaterSong

Chronata...LOL

lark

Moonbow* said:
Lark.. you are so funny.

I don't read for many people but I had an occasion recently where I was asked to do a reading and then realised that the person I was reading for wanted to invite her friend to listen in. I didn't like that at all and told her... there was no problem.

Public readings aren't that popular where I live so I can't see me coming up against this yet. But I'm taking it all in, and I love Lark's response. :D
:D
A girls got to keep her sense of humor!
I was getting a bit jaded about this whole thing for awhile. (Untill I came up with the card thing.)
I'm glad Alissa brought it up.
I was at a women's resource fair last week where I was identifyed at one of the seminars as a psychic....this was NOT a good thing....afterwards I literally had people yanking me away from tables where I was talking or shopping.
One woman pulled me over and stood in front of me and said..."OK WOW ME!"

I was reading over Alissa's first post again and I think my question would be for the people who feel compelled at public gatherings to identify us as readers.
What is "their" motive?

Alissa

That's a great question, lark. I imagine it will have as many answers as our initial question, and I hope to hear plenty of thoughts....

Dark Artemis

Nice to know I'm not the only one who reacts this way!

I am fairly private, and for me tarot is a deeply personal experience. I despise being outed in that way for several reasons.
Many people who spontaneously clamour to have their cards read (especially in a setting like a bar) are doing so because it is a lark for them. I take Tarot very seriously, so I won't do readings for people "just for fun."

Also, because I'm reserved, and because Tarot reveals so much... I simply do not feel comfortable reading for somebody I hardly know. Similarly, I would never ask somebody I don't know reasonably well to read for me.

WaterSong

Dark Artemis,

you expressed so well the way I feel about this topic and about Tarot.
I feel there is something so not appropraite in presenting the Tarot as an entertainement tool...it takes away the sacredeness of it and of the human spirit.
I think we need to always have some kind of respect for the energies we are working with and doing this type of work requires some responsability from us...but like in everything there are so many different ways of doing things...like in any profession.

One thing I beleive some people forget is that the Tarot is also a spiritual tool and jump into it oblivious of its power and ramifications.

You need to be careful about what types of energies you call into your life.

xoxoxoxoxoxox