"You Read Tarot? OOoo DO ME, DO ME!!"

Chronata

hmmm...
there are some wonderfully interesting views in this thread!
I like that!

I guess for me, the tarot is not this sacred thing.

Don't get me wrong...there are certainly instances where it CAN be...I have used tarot... and still do... in a variety of ritual and personal applications...

But in twentysomething years as a pro reader, I have developed this sort of technique...
I call it Walking the Line...

I walk this fine line between being a truthful and psychic tarot councellor, mediator and therapist...
and being a Cold Reader-size-you-up, Fortune Telling entertainer.

I am the magician at times...and le bateleur at other times...
and many times I am both...

Hard to explain this...but those who have ever seen me read in person will know what I mean...I am reading YOU...as much as I am reading your cards.

And it serves me well to use my intuition and observation to give someone what they are going to expect from a tarot reading...
although I have been known to give folks what they don't expect as well!

Did I mention what a great thread this is, Alissa?

sharpchick

I'm not a professional, but in the situation Alissa described, I'd say, contact me later about it.

I have agreed to do some three card (career-family-surprise) readings at a small party my sis had, but that was a whole different environment.

Alissa

Chronata said:
Did I mention what a great thread this is, Alissa?
*Nods in enthusiastic agreement* It's very interesting, I agree; everyone feels a little different about this, and it's all good. :D Fascinating...!

TemperanceAngel

Alissa I hear you girlfriend!!

Imagine you meet a plumber and you say:

"Do you mind having a look at my toilet for me?"

Huh??

And having to explain yourself. Do we know of any other profession where people get drilled so much?

The Metaphysical Shop I work from encourages people to spend as much time as they like in the store, which I like. Instead of just being sell, sell, sell.

Now all said and done if you come in every day and spend time browsing you must also respect the fact that it is a business and at some stage there does have to be a monetary exchange.

OK, I will get to the point. Every day for the last 4+ months a woman comes in on her lunch break and has exhausted us all. She spends at least an hour in there and will question any worker who gives her the time. And she has never spent a cent!! So hence, we all don't give her much time now.

Yesterday she was shuffling cards and drew one. I said to her:

"Oh we have all got that card today."

She asked for an explanation. I explained. And then she basically tried to ask me about all the cards she had drawn, which is essentially doing a reading. This has happened a lot over the past few months, expecting free readings etc. I find it terrible. I mean the readers don't get paid per hour and she is basically trying to get us to give her free readings.

I have decided next time she tries this I will explain the exchange to her. She can come and have a reading with me if she would like to pay. I think am being completely fair :)

Good and just thread :D

abella

TemperanceAngel said:
I have decided next time she tries this I will explain the exchange to her. She can come and have a reading with me if she would like to pay. I think am being completely fair :)

I think that's an EXCELLENT idea!

TemperanceAngel

abella said:
I think that's an EXCELLENT idea!
Thanks abella for your support :)

Alissa

TA, you deserve compensation for the service you provide. We also don't think of asking a hairdresser to just cut our hair while we're at a party, simply because some scissors are handy. This woman of yours sounds like a real problem, I'm sure you will handle the situation with your usual grace!! :D

TemperanceAngel

Alissa said:
TA, you deserve compensation for the service you provide. We also don't think of asking a hairdresser to just cut our hair while we're at a party, simply because some scissors are handy.
Exactly!! I wonder why people think they can have an on the spot reading.
New Years Eve we were going to a friends on the coast and he asked me to bring my cards. Now he has never had a reading, has no idea. But he had a new girlfriend and apparently she was into it.
For the first time ever I did not take my cards. He asked when I arrived and I simply told him I was on holidays.
Interestingly enough they broke up recently....

This woman of yours sounds like a real problem, I'm sure you will handle the situation with your usual grace!! :D
Thanks Alissa :)
I must state that I do not tend to ridicule or embarass the woman, just explain to her as she obviously does not understand and wonders why we all won't spend time with her now....

Jacko85

Nice thread with some nice points. Unfortunately I have to dash for work in a moment so I'll get my 2 pence in quickly:

I also get asked to do readings at social events. My answer is always the same though - "I'm not good enough to read for anyone else yet". I still have a lot to learn y'see, so I can opt for the easy road out.

Works every time ;)

catlin

magenta said:
An opotion answer would be: " I would love to read the cards for you.Here is my number...call me to make an appointment.I only do it in my office.
It's too loud and busy here...I like to give all the full attention to my customers."

That is just the way how I handle it when I am asked for readings at partys or in let's say not so tarot friendly surroundings (although you generally don't find me there).

Best thing is to have always a couple of business cards at hand to give them away to potential querents.

I sometimes pull out my cards when I am in a cafe, hanging out in my fav bio bakery (where you can also get coffee and the like) or when I have the feeling for them (but I try to make sure it is an tarot friendly environment) and when someone wants a reading right on the spot and the person is ok for me (not on booze, dope or freaky), I do it but I charge for it (unless it is not a very close friend of mine or a barter partner).