"Test" reading so I can prove myself

satine

There is a new-age bookstore that has monthly "psychic fairs" where there are all sorts of people who offer different products and services. It's not too far from where I live, so I talked to the owner about possibly being included in this event as a tarot reader. This is a big first for me, by the way. Nearly all of the stranger readings I've done have been online, so I have time to reflect on the cards, how they're interacting within the spread, and to come up with my interpretation. So, I'm a little stressed about doing this in the first place, but I know I need practice doing in-person, stranger readings. Now I am extremely worried, though, because the bookstore owner says that she will decide if I can participate based solely on a reading that I have to do for her next week. Of course now I feel a lot of pressure, because this opportunity rests solely on this one reading for the store owner, and I have to just hope that it "clicks" for me. I'm writing now to see if you guys might have any advice for me. I definitely want to use a simple, relatively short spread (nothing overly in-depth). Do you guys have any suggestions regarding what spread might be best for this owner reading, and/or any other tips? Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

AJ

satine, congratulations on having the guts to go for it!

Whatever you choose to do be sure you are really comfortable doing it. If you've done a million past/present/future draws do that, if you are more comfortable with a Celtic Cross, pull out the stops and do that.

And read in person for everyone you can get to sit down with you between now and then. If you haven't got a body to read for read to your cat or cookie jar, but do it out loud. There is a huge difference between looking at the cards and working it out in your head, and saying it out loud.
Good luck!!

satine

AJ said:
satine, congratulations on having the guts to go for it!

Whatever you choose to do be sure you are really comfortable doing it. If you've done a million past/present/future draws do that, if you are more comfortable with a Celtic Cross, pull out the stops and do that.

And read in person for everyone you can get to sit down with you between now and then. If you haven't got a body to read for read to your cat or cookie jar, but do it out loud. There is a huge difference between looking at the cards and working it out in your head, and saying it out loud.
Good luck!!

This is great advice. Thank you, AJ! :) You are so right. Like I said, I'm not very experienced with doing readings in person, and I've found that I have to try very hard to not feel rushed when the person is sitting right there staring at me. I need to find a way to keep myself "centered" even within this context. It's like learning to swim, though; I have to take these risks or I'll never improve in this area.

AJ

The first time I read for a person was the first time I'd read the cards out loud and I was sweating buckets and felt like I'll lost all control of my tongue and any command of the English language I might have once had. And I forget everything I knew about the meanings.
It was a real learning lesson and funny looking back but it wasn't funny at the time.

So now I do all my readings out loud. I read to my printer, I read to my candles, I read to my cats...
And it wasn't my idea, I read it here on the forum.

Grizabella

Be sure to just take your time. Breathe. What seems like forever to you as you sit in front of her is probably only a few seconds. Don't let yourself think that this is a test. Just read for her as you'd read for a friend. Trust your Creator that whatever happens with this reading is what's supposed to happen at this time. That should take the pressure off. If you're not chosen, then it wasn't meant for you to do it at this time and that's fine. :) Just trust, breathe, and take your time.

Sonic

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!

*Make sure to bubble yourself before you go in to block their nervous energy
*That day is no different than any other day-you still have knowledge coming in that they do not have
*Do not let their body language throw you-stay your course, say what you need to say and do it with confidence
*Choose to split your deck into 2 parts, major and minor. Allow them to choose 2 minor cards and 1 major card. The major is the main source of the message the minors can be placed on either side for past and future messages
*3 card spreads are easiest
*dont worry about upside down card interpretations just use right side up meanings [and the reading aloud suggestions are of course brilliant :)]

Good luck and GREAT for you hon! Please let us know how it goes!

Ibis

AJ said:
The first time I read for a person was the first time I'd read the cards out loud and I was sweating buckets and felt like I'll lost all control of my tongue and any command of the English language I might have once had. And I forget everything I knew about the meanings.

I loved it, AJ! You spoke for us all! Sometimes when I read for myself, I pretend a friend is sitting across the table from me and pretend it's for him/her. Then I read. I also try to remember a few readers that I utilize and how they speak with me. That also helps! I wish you well!

Ibis

satine

Thank you for the advice and well-wishes, y'all. My appointment is this upcoming Wednesday (the 12th); I will practice every moment that I can between now and then. You're right; I'm not in the habit of reading the cards aloud, so I really need to practice that. I won't be crushed if I fall flat on my face, but I'm glad to at least have this opportunity, and I'm going to try to follow these recommendations you've been so kind to give me. I could definitely see myself getting insecure in response to the sitter's body language (if she looks incredulous or is scowling as if I am doing a terrible job, that sort of thing), but I will try to just focus on the cards and that is all-- and otherwise protect myself from getting too impacted by what I believe she might be thinking at a given moment. :) I'm still open to more advice (I don't want to give the impression that I'm closing this thread), and I will definitely post here and tell you how it goes!

starrystarrynight

If you find yourself coming up blank, get her talking...ask her a question, picking one card of which you DO remember the meaning:

"Ah, and here is the Queen of Wands, who is often a dynamic career person. Is there someone in your life like that whom you are having dealings with at the moment?" While she is thinking of a response, you'll have the time to gather your own thoughts. And really, a dialog is the best kind of reading, anyway. If you draw her in, she does half the work! :D

Umbrae

Uh well I agree with some previous posters and disagree with others.

Yes – learn to do your readings speaking aloud.

Now here’s the gig…what spread would you be doing with live paid readings for strangers? Keltic Kross? Five or Seven Card Horseshoe? You have to do the same thing… One does not audition for a Wagner opera by singing Paul Simon covers. You have to show the store owner what you’re about.

You have to be honest. With yourself – and the owner. She’s hiring you. Even if you don’t work for her, and just sit at a table in a back corner and give her a cut – whatever the financial arrangements are – you become a reflection of what she wants her store to be, and represent.

So stick with the spreads you’d be doing live (and that means more than three cards).

Do NOT separate the deck into majors and minors (unless you read this way already). Why? Cuz if I were hiring you – I’d ask why…and you’d better have a dang good answer (I cannot think of one reason why anybody’d do this – and I’ve been at this game for three decades).

Begin over-hydrating a day in advance.

Ground yerself.

Don’t practice every moment between now and then – you WILL drive yourself into a panic attack, and have a selph phulfilling prophecy of phailure (guaranteed and no you don’t get your money back). It’s putting too much pressure on yourself.

It's a test - true, it’s only reading the Tarot. But you need to be real, and be honest.

And for my own personal opinion – you really need months of reading for strangers for gratuity and/or no remuneration before you step into the professional arena. That said, I’ve seen some move from online to professional with problems.

It depends on the time spent reading – really really reading….

:cool2:

PS: and if you go blank...hunt down an essay I wrote ages ago titled, "The Blank Spot.