"Test" reading so I can prove myself

satine

Umbrae said:
Uh – psychic fairs and auditioning = money

You don’t go under “Pressure” for more experience – that you just go out and do…

And the eight of swords I just drew tells me…

And I just pulled the King of Donkeys card for you, which tells me... Oh, is there not such a card? It sure looked like a donkey! ;)

Grizabella

Another suggestion for getting more experience would be to go to the college in the nearby town and just sit on campus or in a student fast food place offering free readings. :)

Baroli

satine said:
And I just pulled the King of Donkeys card for you, which tells me... Oh, is there not such a card? It sure looked like a donkey! ;)

Donkey? A very noble animal. This is an animal of service, used to handling burdens.

As Umbrae said, psychic fairs and auditioning = money.

Might I suggest that you read to others first before attempting a psychic fair.

No, not a food court, I understand the perils of being tarred and feathered by the 'Bible Belt" folks. I live in a mini Bible Belt, just as those who have already tried to help you with good suggestions understand that as well. Perhaps a group of friends at a get together at your house. It could be great fun as well as a learning experience for you, and would ease you into reading for strangers.

Solitaire, that's an excellent suggestion, a student union on a college campus. Perfect. That is how I started and believe me I didn't know what I was doing.

Baroli - Queen of Cats.

Sulis

Solitaire* said:
Another suggestion for getting more experience would be to go to the college in the nearby town and just sit on campus or in a student fast food place offering free readings. :)

Yep that's a really good idea Solitaire*.

Satine, I completely understand that not everyone in every place is 'open' to the prospect of a tarot reading. I've been reading long enough now to know that.
We're not that different here in the UK you know. It's as much of a stereotype to say that people in Western Europe are accepting of the occult as to say that people in the Bible Belt of the US aren't.
There are all types in all places I've found.

You asked for some suggestions of how to read for strangers and I gave a few.
When I said 'neighbours you don't know very well' I didn't mean that you should walk straight up to your neighbours and offer them tarot readings. Goddess, I think my neighbours would run away screaming if I did that, there are quite a few regular churchgoers around here and a large Muslim community too.
To find out who in my neighbourhood may be interested in readings I mentioned to the man who runs our corner shop that I was looking for 'victims' and hey presto 'victims' were found :).

Good for you if you've found a way to read for strangers to get yourself some practice.

I posted because it sounded like you were about to start charging for your services (which would be up to you of course) and I was struck by the fact that you've said in previous posts that you were new to tarot and you have posted lots of threads asking for card meanings in various positions.

I think it's important for anyone who calls themselves professional and charges for their services to know what they are doing and to be able to offer a good service (not saying that you wouldn't), otherwise it reflects badly on other members of that profession who do know what they're doing because they've taken the time to learn their trade thoroughly.

satine

Baroli said:
As Umbrae said, psychic fairs and auditioning = money.

"psychic fairs and auditioning = money" even if the bookstore owner is telling me that I may participate just for practice once a month and without charging for readings? I don't understand why this assumed equation takes precedence over what the bookstore owner is telling me.

Baroli

If that is what your bookstore owner told you, then that is good, you have a verbal agreement. But I would keep that axiom in the back of your mind.

Good Luck with your endeavors.

And I would still pursue the other suggestions that were given.

Baroli

satine

Baroli said:
Good Luck with your endeavors.

And I would still pursue the other suggestions that were given.

Baroli

Absolutely! Some people were very helpful and supportive. :) Thanks.

Umbrae

Satine said:
I don't understand why this assumed equation takes precedence over what the bookstore owner is telling me.

This particular section is called Professional Tarot.

It is therefore assumed that when you post here(rather than in Talking Tarot, that we’re discussing reading for remuneration. If one is talking about reading face-to-face for strangers for no money, then this thread is best placed in Talking Tarot.

Anybody who’s been around here for awhile will tell you that I am constantly beating the table with my shoe yelling at folks to ‘Get out there and read live for strangers’, so I whole heartily applaud your efforts, and your decision. Any misunderstanding between us are from the placement of this post in Professional Tarot.

I am looking forward to hearing about your experiences when you get out there live.

And we’re always here to help you out of those tough spots (which will occur).

Best of luck, be well…

Moonbow

I think we sometimes have a view of what Tarot reading must be like in other parts of the world and of course it's never correct to pigeon hole people and places in that way. Where I live is very difficult for setting up Tarot readings and there is prejudice with anything considered occult. There is certainly an assumption that reading Tarot in Europe (do you realise how many countries in Europe?!) is more accepted than in other places. This is why we all need to research our own areas thoroughly and sometimes make allowances for how we start out.

For me it meant starting with reading for friends, and then friends of friends, and receiving payment in kind, like a bottle of wine or a meal in return. From there I started to read from home and payment was by donation. Then, I set my prices.

I see nothing wrong with a tip jar when you start these readings.

starrystarrynight

Moonbow said:
I see nothing wrong with a tip jar when you start these readings.
I was about to suggest the same thing (and I think you absolutely should give the seeker the option of leaving remuneration this way even if you aren't charging a specific amount per reading.)

Yes, this is the Professional Tarot thread...point taken...but we all get to professional status by taking small forward steps. And reading face to face is one of those steps, IMO.

I fully believe in the fact that anyone who pursues reading tarot has some amount of intuition (well, okay, I believe everyone does)...and it seems to me that if we feel ready to face the unknown, we are ready on some level. Humans have a large capacity for self-preservation, but if we don't take risks, what's the point of living? I think if anyone truly doesn't feel ready, they aren't...but if they do...I say go for it.

Maybe for today, I am the Queen of Eagles. Oh, wait, no matter how hard I flap, I'd never get this carcass off the ground. Dang.

--Princess of lard butts, here.