Who is Ra-Hoor-Khuit?

Abrac

This is a question that has puzzled me for some time. I couldn't find an appropriate thread for it so I thought I would start a new one.

The best information I could find on how Crowley arrived at his conception of Ra-Hoor-Khuit can be found in his Old and New Commentaries AL 3.1.

He identifies Ra (correctly) as Ra, and Hoor (incorrectly) as Horus the Warrior. The Hor of "Ra-Hoor-Khuit" is Horus of the Horizon (Hor-Akhty). Actually, the sun disk that Crowley calls "Hadit" is Horus the Warrior (Hor-Behdety).

He seems to have had the most difficulty with Khuit. The process he goes through to arrive at his conception is fairly complicated, but in the end he concludes (incorrectly) that Khuit is a form of Amon, a Theban war god. Consequently he sees Ra-Hoor-Khuit as primarily a god of war.

Ra-Hoor-Khuit is probably the closest thing we will find in Crowley's writings to a personal God. On the Stele we see Ankh-f-n-Khonsu (Crowley by proxy) offering up a sacrifice to him. In his New Comment, he says that the insertion of iota (i,y,yod) to "Khut," transmutes the name to "Godhead." In Across the Gulf, Crowley says: "So I, in this year V of the Equinox of the Gods (1908) wherein Horus took the place of Osiris, will by the light of this my magical memory seek to understand fully the formula of Horus -- Ra Hoor Khuit -- my god, that ruleth the world under Nuit and Hadit." -Across the Gulf, Ch.9

cardlady22

When I worked up the Playing Card equivalents, the name "Ra-Hoor-Khuit" is the Ace of Spades or the Ace of Clubs. The Ace of Spades is the symbol of mystery, secrets and inititation. The Ace of Clubs is the desire to know. Combining the 2 values creates the Two of Hearts, the twin of the Ace of Clubs.

AS: SELF revelation
AC: SELF communication
2H: PARTNER passion

Aeon418

Ra Hoor Khuit is, in his most basic sense, a generic stand-in for the HGA. In that sense he is a personal god. All religious devotion, no matter which deity is used, is at root aimed at THAT which is represented by RHK in Liber Legis.

In a wider sense he represents the character of the present stage of human spiritual evolution and could also be described as the zeitgeist of our times. I personally believe that those two are closely related to each other.

The transformative energy symbolised by RHK (more properly Heru-Ra-Ha to include HPK) operates predominantly on an internal, spiritual level. But if transformative energy is blocked at one level it travels down the planes and eventually manifests as real life situations and problems that are sometimes designed to force change in the most direct and crudest way possible. Given the nature of RHK, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that it might not be an entirely pleasant experience. :laugh:

You don't have to be a prophet or a visionary to see the way the world is heading at the moment. Global warming, dwindling natural resources, and the threat of increasing nuclear proliferation. The predicted consequences of these things are very reminiscent of RHK. But who's to blame? Maybe it's time to wake up and smell the coffee before we all get a collective boot up the backside. Ouch!

Umbrae

Aeon418 said:
You don't have to be a prophet or a visionary to see the way the world is heading at the moment. Global warming, dwindling natural resources, and the threat of increasing nuclear proliferation. The predicted consequences of these things are very reminiscent of RHK. But who's to blame? Maybe it's time to wake up and smell the coffee before we all get a collective boot up the backside. Ouch!
I personally believe that when Jack Parson (with Cameron) performed Babalon Working - it was successful.

Aeon418

Umbrae said:
I personally believe that when Jack Parson (with Cameron) performed Babalon Working - it was successful.
Seriously? I don't see much in Parsons work beyond a tyro who over-reached himself and got his fingers burnt.

Aeon418

From Liber 418: The Vision & the Voice, 1st Aethyr.
I am the child of all who am the father of all, for from me come forth all things, that I might be. I am the fountain in the snows, and I am the eternal sea. I am the lover, and I am the beloved, and I am the first-fruits of their love. I am the first faint shuddering of the Light, and I am the loom wherein night weaveth her impenetrable veil.

I am the captain of the hosts of eternity; of the swordsmen and the spearmen and the bowmen and the charioteers. I have led the armies of the east against the armies of the west, and the armies of the west against the armies of the east. For I am Peace.

My groves of olive were planted by an harlot, and my horses were bred by a thief. I have trained my vines upon the spears of the Most High, and with my laughter have I slain a thousand men.

With the wine in my cup have I mixed the lightnings, and I have carved my bread with a sharp sword.

With my folly have I undone the wisdom of the Magus, even as with my judgments I have overwhelmed the universe. I have eaten the pomegranate in the House of Wrath, and I have crushed out the blood of my mother between mill-stones to make bread.

There is nothing that I have not trampled beneath my feet. There is nothing that I have not set a garland on my brow. I have wound all things about my waist as a girdle. I have hidden all things in the cave of my heart. I have slain all things because I am Innocence. I have lain with all things because I am Untouched Virginity. I have given birth to all things because I am Death.

Stainless are my lips, for they are redder than the purple of the vine, and of the blood wherewith I am intoxicated. Stainless is my forehead, for it is whiter than the wind and the dew that cooleth it.

I am light, and I am night, and I am that which is beyond them.

I am speech, and I am silence, and I am that which is beyond them.

I am life, and I am death, and I am that which is beyond them.

I am war, and I am peace, and I am that which is beyond them.

I am weakness, and I am strength, and I am that which is beyond them.

Yet by none of these can man reach up to me. Yet by each of them must man reach up to me.

ravenest

Aeon418 said:
Seriously? I don't see much in Parsons work beyond a tyro who over-reached himself and got his fingers burnt.

Really? Freedom is a two edged sword. He got more than his fingers burnt!

Strange ... the star goddess Nuit says; "To me, to me." And what does Jack do? he goes and develops solid rocket fuel. A very physical interpretation.

Quiet a spunk too (but that might not count 'hermetically' :laugh:) - see cover of Freedom is a two edged sword ... smoking with his shirt off.

Also game enough to work on Chapter 4 of BoL. ... Pestilence!!!

Now somewhere there is line from Nuit (?) in BoL which seems to describe the mystical version of Jacks death explosion. Wish I could remember it. (I'm being v.casual as I have already lost over 1/2 hr of responses on dodgey IT cafe computers this morning ... now the libraray is open ... less dodgey). Not a good idea to get butterfinger when handling fulminate of mercury.

A shame he fell in love with (at least 'enchanted' by ) L.Ron :( .

Aeon418

ravenest said:
Really.
ravenest said:
Freedom is a two edged sword.
What about it? A collection of mildy interesting, posthumously published essays. Too theoretical and polemical by half.
ravenest said:
He got more than his fingers burnt!
BOOM!
ravenest said:
Strange ... the star goddess Nuit says; "To me, to me." And what does Jack do? he goes and develops solid rocket fuel. A very physical interpretation.
The weapons industry loved his invention too. Missile anyone? :laugh:
ravenest said:
Quiet a spunk too (but that might not count 'hermetically' :laugh:) - see cover of Freedom is a two edged sword ... smoking with his shirt off.
You have to be kidding me. ROFL!! If those man-boobs got any bigger, he'd need a bra. :laugh: But if that floats your boat...
ravenest said:
Also game enough to work on Chapter 4 of BoL. ... Pestilence!!!
No better, no worse than all the other 4th chapters I've seen.
ravenest said:
A shame he fell in love with (at least 'enchanted' by ) L.Ron :( .
Got played like a sucker, more like. :rolleyes:

Rosanne

Yygdrasilian said:
It may help to do a little digging at Abu Simbel, Edfu & Dendera
Oh I hope if you go digging at Abu Simbel- you mean, where it is now. Do not go digging where it was- you will drown. :D

Ra- Hoor- Khuit?
I reckon he means Hat-ka-Ptah, meaning home of the ka of Ptah. This evolved into the ancient Greek word Aígyptos and later the Latin word Aegyptus from were we get the English word Egypt. The Home of Ka of Ptah is the underworld- where the solar boat carries Ra and Horus into the night (Nut -Nuit) So Ra-Hoor-Khuit would be roughly speaking the Ka of where Ra goes at night. Ra of the Underworld- the Egyptian 666 hehehe.
Interesting enough, the rising of Sirius was recorded at the original site of Abu Simbel on the day Ra'messes and Ra the sun is born October the 22nd. Oh lordy there's that number again.
~Rosanne