Question about the swedish witch and Jolanda tarot

Storm82

If I understand correctly the swedish witch and jolanda tarot is the same, only the first are in swedish and the second in english,
is that right ?

whats the difference between the two ?
I have heard the jolanda has purple borders.....

do the new printing of the swedish witch have the grey borders (like the first printing ) or is it changed in any way ?

wpuld appriciate some help :)

karen0205

There were three printings of the Swedish Witch tarot that I know of.
The first printing was done in Sweden, the cards are in Swedish and they
have a grey border. It was reprinted again with blue borders, I believe in
Swedish also. It was called Jolanda den Tredjes.

The deck was then reprinted by AG Muller with purple borders and in English
and called Jolanda Tarot. It is smaller than the original also.

it's one of my favorite decks, full of animals. The artwork is great.

gregory

The Swedish is subtler; the Jolanda has indeed purple borders - and one big plus - the Swedish edition cut off a small part of the image at each side. I didn't know this until I got the Jolanda - where the whole image is visible.

Storm82

karen0205 said:
There were three printings of the Swedish Witch tarot that I know of.
The first printing was done in Sweden, the cards are in Swedish and they
have a grey border. It was reprinted again with blue borders, I believe in
Swedish also. It was called Jolanda den Tredjes.

and called Jolanda Tarot. It is smaller than the original also.

it's one of my favorite decks, full of animals. The artwork is great.

must tell you what I saw today....
a wonderful book with old fairytales, a big book ,very well done, looked old (but not broken or anything, jus old looking, looking expensive to) and the artist who painted the jolanda cards had illustrated it!

thought for a while I should get it, but didnt.......

Bylica

Is it difficult?

Hello!
I am just thinking about buying this deck, because I was enchanted the first time I saw it in the Internet. However, I heard it's a hard deck to read with. Do you also find it difficult?

karen0205

I haven't had a problem using it, it's one of my favorites. I suppose it would be whether you connect with it or not. Can I ask which version were you thinking of getting? That might be some of the issue with people who are finding it hard to read with. I think that the latest version, the AGM one with the purple borders, really changed the over all feel of the deck. The colors are quite garish and make the deck too bold and seem cartoonish. Just my opinion but it has changed the deck. It would have been better to use a white border. than the purple. The original was softer colors and a more earthy feel. JMO

I have attached a scan of the Hermit from the first Grey edition and the LS Edition. I did not edit these colors. Personally, I think AGM ruined the deck and that's why it never was a popular as they thought it would be. The Swedish version is hugely popular and I bet they thought they could appeal to that market but not with the way they changed the deck. It's a shame. A deck reprinted with the original colors on a white border would probably have sold out.

I would also like to edit my post from 2009. I have since learned that there was another edition, a black and white majors only deck.

There were 4 printings of the Swedish Witch tarot as of 2013.
The First printing was done in Sweden, black and white majors only The black and white version
was only printed one time. This is called Tarot Häxans which translates to Tarot Witch
These cards are smaller than the grey or blue decks.

Second printing was full color and 78 cards. They are in Swedish and they
have a grey border. This is called Jolanda den Tredjes Tarot

The full color 78 version was printed again in Sweden with blue borders It was also called
Jolanda den Tredjes Tarot. This was the same size card stock as the original.

and called Jolanda Tarot. It is smaller than the original.

Attachments

• Swedish Witch Hermit Comparison 125.JPG
    Swedish Witch Hermit Comparison 125.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 289
  • Hermit Grey and Black  White.jpg
    Hermit Grey and Black White.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 250

Bylica

Thank you very much!
I was thinking about "Jolanda Tarot" by AGM version, because that's what is available in Poland. I can now see that the colours really changed... As for the borders, I intended to trim them anyway, they're just too huge and distracting.
Even with the colours changed it is a very interesting deck. My only worry was that I could only stare at the pictures and not be able to read from them.

karen0205

I'm afraid if you trim the Jolanda edition the cards might be really small.
Are you looking for a smaller deck?