Early Mankind (womenkind) Tarot?

greatdane

Basically CAVE PEOPLE TAROT. Since just about every theme has been explored in tarot, I was wondering why no kind of early man/womankind tarot. I don't mean Neanderthal, but yeah like humans living in caves, I mean think of the possibility with wands/clubs here.... Swords would likely have to be makeshift spears. But think of the Tower, Ten of Swords from the perspective of early man or woman. Strength. There may well BE a deck out there just like this, I just haven't run across it. But when I was thinking about what themes don't have a lot or any tarot decks about them, this came to mind. The Magician as cave shaman (I know there are pagan, shaman decks out there but I haven't seen anything where the whole thing revolves just around very early man). So is there a deck like this? Cavemen fighting wild beasts. Decks without so much of the just later pagan theme, but really early man? And if there were, would you buy it?

Le Fanu

So is there a deck like this? Cavemen fighting wild beasts. Decks without so much of the just later pagan theme, but really early man? And if there were, would you buy it?
Yes, the Origins. And would I buy it? I already have. It really is very weird. Weirder than any of the decks out there trying to be weird.

nisaba

I would adore something along these lines. And probably designed not just around early man, but around pre-modern hominids. Not just pre-metal, but pre-fire.

BodhiSeed

It would be interesting to see one that covered the Stone Age (Paleolithic, Mesolithic and Neolithic) and the Bronze and Iron Age. Five time periods, so four suits and the major arcana - fits perfectly! :p

jema

Origins is amazing and I love it to bits!!! And yeah it is weird. I think mi-shell hit it on the head when she mentioned how communal pre-historic times were, how we depended so strongly on tribe and yet in the deck all people are taken out of their social context. That is actually my one and only objection to that deck.

But I think 'Shining tribe' might be just what you are looking for. Not the prettiest one but really deep and I guess it just talks to me. For me it is a 'dream-time' deck!

Debra

Rachel Pollack's Shining Woman and Shining Tribe.

greatdane

Thanks All! I didn't think of those

You know how you click through scans but after awhile, they start to blur together? I forgot completely about origins, and yes, I must admit, it's a bit....odd. But yes that is kind of what I was thinking. But perhaps without quite the weirdness factor, although this deck is intriguing. Running off to look at Shining Tribe again, I know I've seen it but forgotten. And yes Nisaba, THAT would make for an interesting deck! I am looking for something that just is basic very early humankind tied in with tarot, no bells or whistles and perhaps without too much of a weird factor.

greatdane

Shining Tribe

Oh I see what you both mean there, Debra and Jema! This looks like drawing from early humankind. OK here's what I'm looking for, just daily life depicting early humans drawn like one would draw today as in not crude drawings, like a man holding a shell offering water to another person for two of cups.... but I would want the drawings to be beautifully done. Just simple scenes. OH and BORDERLESS would be excellent!

Gerbear

There is the Paleo Tarot by Ellen Lorenzi-Prince. There are 100 copies of this deck, and it was issued in 2011.