Thin Cards?

LadyDeborah

Yes it is a shame. I don't know why they didn't choose the same cardstock that they used for the American version of Shadows and Light. I was very pleased with that!

Miss Divine, I am happy with that set of cards, too. I think that Shadows and Light version is perfectly fine. Thank you for your input! :)

Juliana

What interesting timing. On Lo Scarabeo's FB page they just asked what people thought they could improve on. I said thicker cardstock, and there were a few others saying the same.

LadyDeborah

What interesting timing. On Lo Scarabeo's FB page they just asked what people thought they could improve on. I said thicker cardstock, and there were a few others saying the same.

That's good. I'm glad you suggested that, Juliana. :)

Aerin

I hate cardstock that isn't cardstock i.e the sludgy cardboardy stuff. It isn't flexible, it just creases if you move it too much. Thick vs thin isn't the issue for me.

It's important to distinguish between cheap thin cardstock and the proper high quality playing card cardstock. My LS decks are just fine. The Llewellyn ones are problematic.

My favourite cardstock is the stuff Baba used for the Bohemian Gothic 1st edition. Proper cardstock with a carbon layer.

ETA As discussed here http://www.tarotforum.net/archive/index.php/t-109532.html

Worrying just about thick vs. thin is like judging the quality of fine wine by whether it comes in a larger container or not. Of course some thin cardstock is rubbish, but so is some thick cardstock (I assume it is the carbon layer/ not that makes a big difference?). My complete favourite is the linen finish stock you get on good quality playing cards.

gregory

I'm fine with LoS cardstock - but Llewellyn cardstock is just awful. Schiffer are the other way - FAR too thick - almost unusable, and CRACKS when bent :mad: - though Dream Raven was better, so maybe they are listening.

The card stock of the Bastard deck is LOVELY.

Aerin

I'm fine with LoS cardstock - but Llewellyn cardstock is just awful. Schiffer are the other way - FAR too thick - almost unusable, and CRACKS when bent :mad: - though Dream Raven was better, so maybe they are listening.

Is there still some confusion between Llewellyn and LS do you think? They are two different companies and use different printers/ cardstock.

gregory

Is there still some confusion between Llewellyn and LS do you think? They are two different companies and use different printers/ cardstock.

Some people in the US - where Llewellyn - the distributor for LoS - put their logo on LoS decks - do get confused; I think we in Europe find it easier, as we don't have that problem.

Miss Divine

I also agree Llewellyn cardstock is awful. :(

Sumada

For me you cannot get better than good old Grimaud card stock, thick and heavy AND STILL flexible! It also has a wonderful surface texture that means they shuffle well. They are also VERY durable - I have examples from the 1890s that are just as good as my 1940s and 60s decks, albeit a little discoloured with age. The latest one I picked up is a full 42mm thick when pressed hard against the table! The best stock I've seen in recent years is the Sheridan Douglas reprint at 33.5mm and Flornoy's Dodal at 32mm. But to return to LoS, what I generally dislike about their decks more than very lightweight stock, is their artwork!

LadyDeborah

The card stock of the Bastard deck is LOVELY.

I just love the Bastard Deck, too. It's wonderful to work with. Some of these decks could be thin if they were "quality thin." I know what you mean, though. Thick isn't always necessarily quality. I think all we want is nice cards. For example, "Bicycle" playing cards are nice. That's all I think any of us are asking for. :)