Seven of Disks

.traveller.

I've been working on/with this card for about a month now, mainly because of the Mercury retrograde. Just as I think I have a handle on it and it's various meanings, it throws me a curve ball. Overall, this card has come to mean a period of darkness where you can't see a hand in front of your face. There may be progress, but you can't see it and are plagued with doubt as a result. Only upon daybreak will you know what has transpired during the night. The disks look like eyes gleaming in the darkness and brings to mind fear of the dark and night terrors.
The curve ball I mentioned came up in a recent reading, where this card showed up as "What will be fun?" in the Bathtub spread. I have a hard time thinking of this card as fun, but I imagine it could with the right perspective. Perhaps as something hidden, mysterious, with an element of uncertainty?

How do you see this card and is there anything fun about it?

Edge

Yay! LOL it seems no one has an opinion on this one but I'll take a stab at it. Like all 7's in the Thoth the 7 of D is a real drag. I certainly don't see it as fun. According to dignity it can be a little less dull though. Saturn/Taurus concerned about financial matters, this card is all about the money or lack of it. Failure in material matters. Imagine this, you work your tail off on a business project that just tanks miserably, this is 7 of disk. This is how I look at it anyways. :cool3:

.traveller.

Thanks for weighing in! I was feeling quite lonely.
The most optimistic view of this card, for me, is the ending of the kind of situation represented. The seven of wands always gives me trouble because it never gives me a definite sense of what it is about. I used to think of the seven of swords as a negative card until it occurred to me that it could represent 'thinking outside of the box' or imaginative/creative thought.

TenOfSwords

Actually, it came quite naturally to me to look at it visually as a masquerade or costume ball when trying to find a "fun" angle to it. lol

Edge

.traveller. said:
Thanks for weighing in! I was feeling quite lonely.
The most optimistic view of this card, for me, is the ending of the kind of situation represented. The seven of wands always gives me trouble because it never gives me a definite sense of what it is about. I used to think of the seven of swords as a negative card until it occurred to me that it could represent 'thinking outside of the box' or imaginative/creative thought.

Your welcome. :) It's interesting to note that all 7's are located in Netzach on the tree of life. This represents imbalance, illusion and weakness generally. Also interesting is flowing into Netzach are the following trumps; The Moon, Tower, Emperor flowing out is Death and Fortune. I'm not an expert on the tree of life by a long shot but it's an observation I had. Flowing into the 7's are some cards that traditionally represent, war, illusion, conquest and the like and leaving or flowing from Netzach are Death and Fortune IE: a change in fortune all together. Sorry I'm rambling a bit, not even sure if this makes sense to me. I'll definitely look into this further. :)

ravenest

Isn't 7 lucky?

Dont be lonely, big mouths like me often hold back so some one else can express an opinion first.

Failure, what is failure? It is a valuible tool and a process by which we learn. Consider a maze; we go in the start, turn first left and second right, then come to a dead end. We failed to find the correct path. What is one to do, sit there and feel depressed? No, we can incorporate the failure into our knowledge; First left and second right is a dead end so we will remember that and perhaps go back and take first left and first right. Then 'failure' leads us to success.

Of, course I am assuming that there are people out there that can remember and learn instead of endlessly walking around the maze lost.

Edge

I think that's where I was headed when I wondered off on some tree of life theories. If we can learn the lessons from 7 of disks "failure" and use 8 of disks with "prudence" to "gain" 9 of disks we can achieve 10 of disks or "wealth" with great appreciation. :cool5:

.traveller.

I like to think of sevens as the number of imagination. When I apply that to disks, I immediately think of gambling and day traders. Sometimes you get lucky, but other times you don't. Many people find games of chance entertaining and fun, just look at how many people play the lotteries.

Ack, those keywords bug me to no end. By labeling the card with 'failure', it becomes difficult to see the card in any other light.

ravenest

Then see failure in a different light.

.traveller.

:laugh: Well, yeah. That's what I'm working on :laugh:

Any help with the seven of wands? The image itself tells me nothing and if I use my keyword, Imagination, with wands I come up with popularity/unpopularity and aiming for goals that are out of reach.