Can the 4 of swords be negative

Demon Goddess

I had gotten the four of swords in one reading last year and it turned out that the person that the querant was asking about was cutting themselves.

I hope that doesn't cloud the issue, but it begs to the idea of the one person isolating themselves and keeping a secret from the other.

PentQueen

In your position of 'obstacles', my take on the 4 of swords points to feeling 'separated' while together in a relationship...feeling alone, like you have to do things yourself and have no support from the other. And being a sword, it would point to a communication barrier and a lack of understanding of one another, so that you're forced into isolation to avoid the uncessessary arguments and reflect on your role in the relationship quietly.

Willow Huntermoon

The first impression that came to mind was this person needs his/her space, not letting you in emotionaly. I also think that this person is recovering from a very nasty (past) heart break.

I think your emotional challenge/obstacle will be that you will not feel connected like he/she is guarding thier heart from fully experiencing love due to past issues.

I am using my Guilded deck there is this man lying there in this closed room. (brick wall) with 3 swords coming down and pointing to his heart (heart ache) with one sword beneath him (the past) He is not wearing a helmut but wearing an armour suit (self protection.)

I agree with Thirteen and Starry on this one.

Teheuti

SwordsQueen said:
I recently did a relationship reading in which the 4 of swords came up as what challenges the relationship/Obstacle. . . . Could it mean that one of us is taking a time-out, but if taken too long, that will hinder the progress of our relationship.
Seems to me that "taking a time-out," illness, some form of recuperation, or a compromise based on conventions instead of honesty could easily be what challenges the relationship but not necessarily the "if taken too long" unless other cards support that. That's trying to second-guess what's beyond the meaning of the card itself.

You don't mention which deck so it's hard to know what other details might influence the interpretation. The stained glass window in the RWS deck shows someone kneeling at the feet of an authority figure (getting advice?). This could suggest that advice from another during a time-out has compromised the relationship.

SwordsQueen

Nice to see this thread was reopened. 4 of swords is such a calming card to behold, and so I have always had a tough time with how it would stand for an obstacle. I use the RWS.

raeanne

Hi all,
I work at a community college and see "young love" everyday. These couples find it very difficult to be separated for even a hour. In today's technological culture they are texting, e-mailing, or in the presence of each other almost constantly. This isn't always the best thing for the relationship. The Four of Swords as a obstacle could mean the difficulty of giving each other that time alone. Too much passion needs to have time to recooperate.

rcb30872

I like what star-lover said, in relation to the fact that before that you have the Three of Swords, so that would mean that you have had to make a difficult decision, that would have been very tough on that person to make that decision, as that would involve heartbreak, but however painful that is, it is inevitable. I mean, in the Three of Swords you are basically getting to the heart of the matter, sort of like, I can stay where I am and feel battered and bruised for a lot longer, or I can move one, feel battered and bruised while I get over whatever I have to get over.

*I not meaning me personally*

So, the Four of Swords would be the time that you would need to just "be", go through the mourning process, have closure, even if it is only in your mind and your heart - meaning that you are not able to do it with the other person, or people, if related to a relationship. This time is the time for you, to pull yourself together, so to speak, and just feel the void. When the void is over, it could indicate when something new comes along, perhaps a new idea, as such. It is like being in limbo, or being at crossroads, during that time you are figuring out what you want, what you are about, and all of that. Sometimes when we are involved in certain relationships, or certain associations, or whatever, then sometimes we can lose our identity. Four of Swords can be the time that is needed to rediscover your identity.

As for it being negative, just might mean "not sure" LOL

le fey

A slightly different take, tossed out for consideration:

Just working with the element/number, the 4 of Swords involves stability of thought - and stable is a short walk from stagnation, so perhaps it has something to do with the relationship 'coasting' on old ideas and patterns of thought.. no new ideas being introduced. Just sort of on a mental auto-pilot.

WalesWoman

Brooding... my immediate thought went to Druidcraft 4 Swords. That is not a time out to think and recooperate card. It's more like thinking about all the wrongs and stuff that bum you out, instead of getting over the strife and disappointments or heartaches, it's simply holding onto them and fingering that sword, like how to get revenge and pay backs.

So as an obstacle it might be thinking about all the things that aren't right, concentrating on the negatives and not doing anything to make things better, stagnation of energies, not moving forward, letting the small stuff get to you.

ALST123

My 4 Swords experience

Hi,

A psychic friend who does readings for me sometimes, pulled this card for me nearly 2 years ago now. I hadn't requested the reading, she had just done it anyway.

At the time she said someone from my past would turn up again very soon who would teach me a valuable lesson. That in a sense I had been "at rest"/sleeping through life since we had parted before, and that I should look out for any chance meetings, occurrences etc.

I didn't pay it much heed really, but a couple of weeks later I was bored and on Friends Reunited. I was looking up what my exes were doing, and came across one who I thought I had well and truly managed to put into a sort of closed box (we had a very positive, wonderful relationship but I hadn't understood his behaviour, he had issues but we were too young to understand them, and I had ended things suddenly, then no contact for 12 years). I got in touch, he replied after 3 days and it was like that "box" (represented by 4 swords) exploded open, if you will. We were suddenly dealing with the aftermath of our break-up (3 Swords) 12 years after it had happened. I fell in love with him again, and he will still not communicate his feelings although I am absolutely sure he has strong feelings for me. This seems an ongoing lesson between us. I am confused whether he is putting in as much effort as me (4 swords again!). BUT this has caused me to re=evaluate who I am, to find my "mojo" which I had lost during my 7 year marriage and messy divorce, and to discover the wonders of meditation, tarot, astrology and reiki (all skills requiring you to be "at rest"= 4 Swords!).

The other day, I did a reading about what I should do about this man and got 4 Swords rev as a shadow card. It would appear that now the box is open not shut, we are unable to close it and find peace because we are still learning the lesson we have to give each other. Perhaps in time we will be able to move on to 5 Swords i.e. dealing logically with each other's differences, not being over-emotional, being upfront and honest, and then to 6 Swords = peace, finding a safe-haven.

Perhaps 4 Swords should be the "soul mates" card.

Sorry for the long post, but so much of what I have experienced since re-contacting this man has been 4 of Swords-ish, I thought I should tell the story.

Smiles,
Ax.