Tarot Tells The Tale...

dolphinprincess

This book is the prize in the current Aeclectic contest... but I couldn't wait... I had to buy it.

.. and I love it! I think it is great for a new reader bc it focuses on three card spreads. Not only do you get 22 sample readings, but you get to see a whole lot of ways to do a three card reading.. !!! I can look through the book to find questions that are similar to my own.. and then use that spread for my own issue... Reading the samples is also a great way to learn to read cards in combination with one another..

Also, there is a "prelude" that goes over tarot basics, court cards, reversals, etc.. ... and I find this section very clearly written and very helpful... !

Has anyone else gotten this book???

the aeclectic review is here: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/books/tarot-tells-the-tale/index.html

dadsnook2000

Waiting

This book is coming as a Christmas present, so I have a few weeks to wait. It sounded intriguing and I was attracted to it because of the many readings. I'm glad you like it, I'm looking forward to my reading of it. Dave.

gloria

Hi Dolphinprincess, yes I bought this book last week, have only skimmed through so far, I agree it looks pretty interesting. Definitely something different.
G.

Khatruman

Reviving this thread because I saw this in Borders and skimmed it a bit. Was intrigued by the reading for Lady Macbeth.

People who have this book and have read it, what do you think?

Phoenyx*

Ooooh, sounds like a book to put on my waiting list. :)

Sulis

I got this book as a Yule gift from my husband. I'd put it on my Amazon wishlist when I heard about it and was quite surprised when he bought it.
I flicked through it and thought it wasn't for me but since then I've had a chance to read it properly and I really like it.
The sample readings are wonderful; I like the way he's used characters as diverse as Beauty (from Beauty and the Beast) and Hamlet.
3 card spreads are the spreads I use most. I thoroughly recommend this book - it's very informative and it's entertaining too.

Love and light

Sulis xx

Bean Feasa

now tarot bibliophilia sets in!

Oh dear, think I have to have it. Well I've bought a new bookcase to accommodate my decks and books - and it's not quite full...yet.
:)Kate

Cerulean

I just got the book

I found a partial review at TarotPassages and thought I'd skip the book, but after another look while in the bookstore, I found it valuable. Especially since I wanted to expad my spread and storytelling skills--and I really like it.

It is actually a far more imaginative way of storytelling. The summarized meanings for generic pictorial decks are quite sensible for my use with the De Angelis Universal tarot, in minature form, from Lo Scarabeo. The use of pictures in the three-card readings with the book is well-done and is helpful. I especially like the introductory discussion of numbers and association in the beginning and the Celtic Cross breakdown near the end. The appendixes are also helpful.

Also, since I will be looking at my own decks and developing stories from them, it's a useful training guide to me.

I actually also have simpler Italian historical deck with book that I've been playing with known as the Isa Donelli set, just picking out keywords from the Italian book and really looking at the pictures or pip patterns for suggestive ideas. Knighthawk books reminds me of ways to analyze and deconstruct in a
fun way that looks more to the pictures and associating concepts.

I also just received a pretty and reasonably-priced anime tarot based on a manga series that I found information about from checking through the internet. I don't think it's a good learning tarot, but it's a bright tarot design challenge. I am learning to go by pictures, color and Arabic numbers to begin guessing what suit and assignment will work.

By the way, the anime tarot is RG Veda,
an early CLAMP manga supposedly to be translated to English in 2004--and the six godlings are very loosely based on Hindu mythology. I actually liked the pictures mostly and the creative colorful experiments...

Mari H.

Bean Feasa

:confused:
Mari, or anyone else who knows,
What is an 'anime' deck please? And what is a 'manga' series? Feeling very woodenheaded this a.m. :) Kate

Cerulean

Anime is an illustration style that can be cartoonish or beautifully fantastic, usually is from Asian illustrators who illustrate Asian graphic novels. The demand for graphic novels in Japan, for instance, has been ongoing since the 1950's and has developed into a modern art form. Manga is a term that I believe refers to the cross of the graphic novel-comic book as a book format.

Asian tarot in the anime style seems to have attracted Asian illustrators in the 1990s as a possible form to showcase their work. The usual illustrators have a name already in fantasy style bookcovers, prints, sometimes computer games or other illustration titles. I linked to Reiko Shimizu, a popular 'girl's-style' illustrator, but one more well known to some sci-fi/fantasy fans is Y. Amano. Reiko Shimizu's tarot is known as Miracle or Fantasy, depending if it was published in Japan or China; Y. Amano's is available from sources that deal with Japanese publishers.

Miracle Tarot:
http://ryen.net/tarot/miracle/

Amano Tarot:
http://www.spiritone.com/~filipas/Masquerade/Reviews/amano.html

The specific anime tarot that I was talking about is this one:

http://www.mygiftworld.com/rgvedatarot.html

By the way if you do want buying sources, I do have recommendations, depending on the title. I have dealt with Sasugabooks.com, Tarotgarden.com and one source on ebay with many many testimonials successfully for four purchases in this category.