Who are some of your favorite authors

jmd

I mention in an above post that my favourite book on Tarot is Valentin Tomberg's Meditations on the Tarot...

What is even more astounding is the reading of it in the original, for a number of minor points which I wanted to question have there been resolved!

The English version, by the way, is utterly superb, a few simple words left 'untranslated' in future editions would make the book, in my eyes, even more brilliant (is that possible ??).

So - are there other authors others prefer apart, or as well, as those already mentioned?

Kissa

jmd said:
I mention in an above post that my favourite book on Tarot is Valentin Tomberg's Meditations on the Tarot...

now wait jmd, i always thought it was from an anonymous author..? or is Tomberg's the publisher? (I admit my high ignorance on the matter... i am lazy too, i could find out myself so easily, but i guess you will answer with a few top detailed info in addition (such as the non translated words in the english version) so why bother }) ;) ...)

Kissa
finnish spring (*call it cold rainy weather*) makes me lazy...

jmd

Valentin Tomberg is simply the wonderful anonymous author of the book...

diane drizzy

Well growing up in the 60's-70's, I always have a place in my heart for "The Complete Guide to the Tarot" by Eden Grey.What can I say? Ya hadda be there!

shelikes2read

diane drizzy said:
Well growing up in the 60's-70's, I always have a place in my heart for "The Complete Guide to the Tarot" by Eden Grey.What can I say? Ya hadda be there!

Hey, I was there, and I agree with you! I got a RWS deck and "Mastering the Tarot" by Eden Gray in 1978, and I love that book. I recently got a new copy, in fact: my original copy is so worn from age and use that I was afraid it'd fall to pieces at any moment.

"Mastering the Tarot", along with another Eden Gray book ("The Tarot Revealed") and one other book by an author I've forgotten, were part of a now-defunct RWS box set that friends of mine got. Their purchase of that set started them, plus two other friends and me, on the road to learning about Tarot. I get a kick out of just seeing Eden Gray mentioned on here, since there are so many other authors that people here favor.

VGimlet

Mary Greer - Tarot Reversals especially for me
Lon Milo Duquette - I couldn't have survived the Book of Thoth without him. :p
Rachel Pollock
Joan Bunning

Strange2

Robert M. Place is one of my favorite modern Tarot authors and artists. He has a wonderful way of expressing and explaining mystical concepts in a clear, concise, informed, inviting and inspiring manner.

His recent companion book for "The Buddha Tarot" is an excellent exploration and synthesis of mystical and Tarot themes from both the Eastern and Western worlds. One of the best Tarot books of the year, or any year.

Alice

Anything by Rachel Pollack is worth reading - if only because her style of writing is so easy to read.
Also reaaly like Tarot for Yourself by Mary K. Geer - though I have only read the 1st 3 chapters. I have also read The Complete Idiots Guide to Tarot (it was my first book on the subject) and found it great for begginers.

Nec

My favorite authors are Joan Bunning, Rachel Pollack, Mary K. Greer, Anthony Louis (Tarot Plain and Simple) and James Ricklef (Tarot Tells the Tale).

Catpaw

I enjoy Rachel Pollack, Eden Grey, Mary Greer, James Wanless, Nina Lee Braden, Joan Bunning, Edain McCoy, and so many others.