Touchstone Tarot by Kat Black

Kimber

retrokat said:
I think you'll have to wait for the MM version with book - hopefully all will be answered in there.

DRAT!!! Patience may be a virtue, but it certainly isn't one of mine. :) Rhys Myers made a pretty Henry, to be sure - but so...effeminate!! There's some portraits which show Henry in his strapping youth, although many of the Holbein portaits do appear to have been done when he was grossly fat.

There's that famous portrait of Anne, wearing the "B" necklace, but I don't recall if that was by Holbein or not.

All Is One

Kimber, I read your interpretations with great interest. I'm a bit of a Tudor fan but nothing like on your level. I watched a little of the show but it didn't really work for me. The book will certainly be helpful about the background, but using the cards without it is working very well too.

Kimber

Hi All Is One! :) It's of particular interest to me because I have my own concept for a Tudor/Stewart deck in mind; have had for several years, but I'm a lousy artist! I like the Touchstone very much (after all I purchased two copies!), and I was very excited to see who would show up in Kat's cards. I am very much looking forward to the book!

Erzebet

All Is One said:
And I hope for the Happy S card every time. I would never take it from my deck. I sort of live in hope of that card!!

I only got it in the first three readings.

Still...something to hope for. I have never hoped for particular cards.

Ever since the first shuffle of this deck that Happy Squrriel card has been stalking me! ;) In my first reading with it, a deck interview, I got the HS in the "what will our relationship be?" position! :laugh: I love that card! I've gotten in most every reading so far.

I must say and be the odd man out that I still prefer the Golden, I just find it more, um, can't find the words. It's just more lol. I love almost every card of the Touchstone but I'm having a hard time connecting with it. Not sure why, maybe my mindset or something. I know the borders are a bit dark for my taste in conjunction with the darker art colors, that's a personal taste thing though. I think later I will really get much more into it.

All Is One

Erzebet said:
Ever since the first shuffle of this deck that Happy Squrriel card has been stalking me! In my first reading with it, a deck interview, I got the HS in the "what will our relationship be?" position! I love that card! I've gotten in most every reading so far.

You said you are having trouble connecting with the Touchstone, but you must be connecting because you are getting the card I am hoping for..."in almost every reading"

I'm envious!!

retrokat

Kimber said:
There's that famous portrait of Anne, wearing the "B" necklace, but I don't recall if that was by Holbein or not.

I used a portrait of Anne with a 'B' necklace (there are a few) as the early draft for Queen of Swords, but ended up abandoning it as the deck evolved and I committed to only using realistic (not stylised) paintings. All the paintings of Anne are more in the English style of the time, not very realistic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Boleyn

Silverlotus

I think that was a wise choice, Kat. Even though the portraits are from different artist, there is a flow to the deck because you stuck with a similar style. If idealize portraits had been used too, it would have caused those cards to stick out.

All Is One

There is an absolutely sincere flow to this deck. I'm reading and posting.

The deck is very gracious that way!

la-luna

O glorious o happy day I've received my long awaited Touchstone tarot today. It's all I hoped it to be (and even some more)

Mine is number 233/500 (numerically adding up to 7 => the chariot a card linked to my zodiac namely cancer, in other words it was meant to be and blessed by the heavens :) )

I’ve got the brown-suede bag (and its lovely well done mom), and the agate talisman is just gender-neutral enough (to me) so that I can wear it.

Off to explore all stories it has to tell me

retrokat

la-luna said:
gender-neutral enough (to me) so that I can wear it.

I knew that Golden had a lot of male fans compared to many decks, and hoped that Touchstone would similarly appeal to people of whatever gender - hence avoiding floral braids on the bags, and making the talismans as gender-neutral as I could (a few pinkish ones went out, but most were grey, brown or green stripe-agate or picture-jasper).

Going by the deck registrations, it was a good call - I'm happy to say there's been a pretty even mix of genders :)